diy solar

diy solar

Which battery is best?

Just about everyone knows the EVE 280ah batteries are a very fair deal. I simply don't need that much power. In fact 200ah is probably over kill. But it's hard to resist that price. And I really like the cell posts.

Yeah, for my use case, I'm looking for cells around 200Ah as well. I would prefer CALB, Winston, or one of the other plastic cell manufacturers for their structural integrity, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost.

Thanks for posting this, you had recommended Heiwei Dao in another thread and I was/am really close to ordering cells from them... they quoted me $400 for 4x280ah shipped, saying it was $5 per kg. I may still do it, but am getting a couple more quotes first. I'll be using a credit card so I'm not too worried about it.

I didn't mean to come across as recommending him and made the point to order at your own risk. I would not recommend anyone whom I had not bought and received from. I did point to his thread and recommended people take a look at it. His price was great, his thread was great and he was great. So I admit I was excited when he came along. But he made some mistakes and I am not happy about it...lol.

$400.00 shipped is a good deal. So he lowered the price from $6 to $5 a kg? I am sure you will be ok. Like you said your credit card will cover you. He said he had to pay Alibaba $5000.00 to be a Gold Supplier, which he is. I do suggest you get a quote from the same company I am dealing with and let them know you are from this forum. I don't know if the price will be better but it's worth a shot.

Yeah, for my use case, I'm looking for cells around 200Ah as well. I would prefer CALB, Winston, or one of the other plastic cell manufacturers for their structural integrity, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost.

I understand Winston adds Yttrium to the cell which makes it a LiFeYPO4 battery. So it can be charged in sub freezing temps? My Valence batteries are LiFeMgPO4. I always wonder what will come next.

I didn't mean to come across as recommending him and made the point to order at your own risk. I would not recommend anyone whom I had not bought and received from. I did point to his thread and recommended people take a look at it. His price was great, his thread was great and he was great. So I admit I was excited when he came along. But he made some mistakes and I am not happy about it...lol.

$400.00 shipped is a good deal. So he lowered the price from $6 to $5 a kg? I am sure you will be ok. Like you said your credit card will cover you. He said he had to pay Alibaba $5000.00 to be a Gold Supplier, which he is. I do suggest you get a quote from the same company I am dealing with and let them know you are from this forum. I don't know if the price will be better but it's worth a shot.

Oops yeah, you definitely did not recommend them, 'mentioned' would be a much better word. I think you even specifically said you weren't trying to recommend anyone.... no worries.

I did just get a quote from Dongguan Billion, $400 shipped as well lol

Oops yeah, you definitely did not recommend them, 'mentioned' would be a much better word. I think you even specifically said you weren't trying to recommend anyone.... no worries.

Yeah I think I said I didn't mean to promote anyone as I recall. But thanks. I appreciate it.

I did just get a quote from Dongguan Billion, $400 shipped as well lol

Lol...well I guess flip a coin? I don't think you can do any better but if you do please post.

I understand Winston adds Yttrium to the cell which makes it a LiFeYPO4 battery. So it can be charged in sub freezing temps? My Valence batteries are LiFeMgPO4. I always wonder what will come next.

One thing I'm curious about is why nobody else is doing this. Is it a patent issue, a cost consideration, are there issues we are not aware of. I would definitely like to learn more about either chemistry. Winston provides very little data or information on their LYP cells as far as I can tell, which makes me a bit hesitant to fully trust their claims. Not that I don't its somewhat beneficial, but I'm skeptical of the ability to charge down to -50*F. Still any added cold weather tolerance would be a big plus.

So I've been looking at bats from bigbattery. I was looking at the 48V powerpack ($2700 ish) That is 28 leaf modules. So if I'm not afraid to do the disassembly on a stock leaf complete car bat, why not spend the same $2700 for 48 modules and have extra battery left over for other projects.

But then I see you guys posting prices for CATL bats and I started thinking perhaps I don't invest the time in leaf disassembly, and just buy "new" cells. However there is the "risk" of ordering direct from China.

If you were willing to spend $2700 for a battery,
1) - turnkey 8kwh all-in-one (bigbattery) (166ah if i did my math right)
2) - complete leaf bat - 24kwh (org) *.7 = ~17kwh net total (install 6p 48v ~ 306ah)
3) - 200ah (or 280ah) CATL china bats

On advantage I saw for going the leaf modules is with the 4p or 6p config each 48v pack gets its own "manageable" 60A BMS
vs having to have a "huge" 200 or more amp BMS for the single CATL pack

I suppose there is the option of not running inverter thought the BMS and just useing the BMS for ballancing and useing a remote disconnect option.

So I've been looking at bats from bigbattery. I was looking at the 48V powerpack ($2700 ish) That is 28 leaf modules. So if I'm not afraid to do the disassembly on a stock leaf complete car bat, why not spend the same $2700 for 48 modules and have extra battery left over for other projects.

But then I see you guys posting prices for CATL bats and I started thinking perhaps I don't invest the time in leaf disassembly, and just buy "new" cells. However there is the "risk" of ordering direct from China.

If you were willing to spend $2700 for a battery,
1) - turnkey 8kwh all-in-one (bigbattery) (166ah if i did my math right)
2) - complete leaf bat - 24kwh (org) *.7 = ~17kwh net total (install 6p 48v ~ 306ah)
3) - 200ah (or 280ah) CATL china bats

What is the chemistry of option 1 and option 2?

On advantage I saw for going the leaf modules is with the 4p or 6p config each 48v pack gets its own "manageable" 60A BMS
vs having to have a "huge" 200 or more amp BMS for the single CATL pack

I suppose there is the option of not running inverter thought the BMS and just useing the BMS for ballancing and useing a remote disconnect option.

What is your max inverter load (or if applicable inverter + DC loads)? This will determine your BMS size much more so than battery capacity.

The multiple small 48v packs would give you a lot of redundancy if that's something that matters to you. You can use the stock leaf BMS'?

option 1 is made up of leaf modules. (same as option 2)
Leaf modules are Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide (NMC) "pouch" cells encased in a metal housing.

inverter load is dual 3000w inverters @48v ~60A each (again redundancy)

I would not use a the stock leaf BMS. Still decideing between a 60a dally and the plug and play solution by tech direct for 48v leaf packs.

Reactions: Dzl
If your max inverter load is 60A x 2 = 120A, that's actually a somewhat modest maximum load. 2p16s with 2 x 120-200A FET based BMS', or a single high capacity 16S pack with a > 175A FET based BMS, or a non-FET based BMS.

Back