diy solar

diy solar

Which battery is best?

Chefwhowa

@Will Prowse Ok question for everyone, I'm looking at battleborn 24v 100ah $995, 8 cells 280ah I can get in China $875 plus bms $100, or big battery 24v power wall $669. So which one out of these 3 would be my best choice for my money? I already have 2 battleborn batteries 24v 50ah parallel to make 100ah, but I want to have a bigger storage of energy. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

@Will Prowse Ok question for everyone, I'm looking at battleborn 24v 100ah $995, 8 cells 280ah I can get in China $875 plus bms $100, or big battery 24v power wall $669. So which one out of these 3 would be my best choice for my money? I already have 2 battleborn batteries 24v 50ah parallel to make 100ah, but I want to have a bigger storage of energy. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Nobody can really answer this question for you without more context, and even then it will largely come down to your own preferences/priorities. There is no best really, its very much an apples, to oranges, to peaches comparison.

Do you think you would feel comfortable taking responsibility for researching and learning what you need to learn to safely build your own battery and protect your investment? And are you comfortable taking some amount of risk buying from China directly? If so the 280 Ah EVE cells are by far the best value, but there is more risk involved.

Are you willing to pay top dollar for a well engineered product, backed by a solid warranty from a reputable U.S. based company? Do you like the idea of not having to think too hard about your batteries, and having minimal setup? If so, Battleborn probably makes sense, but will cost a lot more.

Note: I think you have the price wrong for Battleborn. The 24v 50Ah battery is ~$1000

Nobody can really answer this question for you without more context, and even then it will largely come down to your own preferences/priorities. There is no best really, its very much an apples, to oranges, to peaches comparison.

Do you think you would feel comfortable taking responsibility for researching and learning what you need to learn to safely build your own battery and protect your investment? And are you comfortable taking some amount of risk buying from China directly? If so the 280 Ah EVE cells are by far the best value, but there is more risk involved.

Are you willing to pay top dollar for a well engineered product, backed by a solid warranty from a reputable U.S. based company? Do you like the idea of not having to think too hard about your batteries, and having minimal setup? If so, Battleborn probably makes sense, but will cost a lot more.

Note: I think you have the price wrong for Battleborn. The 24v 50Ah battery is ~$1000
You are so right and I'm still new at solar, been about 1 year at it and I never built a battery yet. Battleborn does make the best sense but I just want more storage for my money and they expensive for little compacaity they offer. I paid $995 each for the 2 I have now they may have gone up in price from last year. I been watching Will videos and think I could build a battery out of those 280ah cells but worried about getting the right ones, wish someone could built it for me lol.

So which one out of these 3 would be my best choice for my money?
The Battleborn is $414 per kWh if that price is correct, maybe more.
The 280 LFP is $143 per kWh
I didn't even calculate the cost of the Big Battery because it is used and unknown or unreliable capacity. If you DIY the 280 LFP you will have spent more, learned more and have two and a half times more capacity.

The Battleborn is $414 per kWh if that price is correct, maybe more.
The 280 LFP is $143 per kWh
I didn't even calculate the cost of the Big Battery because it is used and unknown or unreliable capacity. If you DIY the 280 LFP you will have spent more, learned more and have two and a half times more capacity.
See that is what I want more capacity for my money and it doesn't seem to difficult to wire a bms to the cells. It just getting the cells

That gives you time to learn about BMSs. It is only 45 days at the most.
I been looking at 3 bms chargery, daly, and overkill which you think would be the best and easiest to wire up for a newbie?

Bang per dollar, DIY with the current offerings of Grade-A 280AH LFP cells is certainly the winner at present.
Sure there is a trade-off but not that scary as many here have trod the path, bought, received & are using the 280AH cells from Known Good Vendors.

Regarding BMS, I'd say Daly is the bottom value end at this time, they have come out with "smart bms" but they are new and not really well known over time. There are several different BMS' in use and it does depend on your application, how many amps you will be drawing and what the peak limits will be. Typically, up to 200A you can go with a FET Based BMS (derated by 25% min) after 200A you'd be looking at Relay/Contactor controlled BMS like the Chargery, TinyBMS and so on. Without more info it is hard to suggest a BMS.

I been looking at 3 bms chargery, daly, and overkill which you think would be the best and easiest to wire up for a newbie?
I am not familiar with those BMSs, but there are videos and other threads that can give you lots of information. @Steve_S is very knowledgeable and I would take his advice if it were my first time. I know the features I want in a BMS. YMMV

BTW, the best battery is the one you buy today.

Bang per dollar, DIY with the current offerings of Grade-A 280AH LFP cells is certainly the winner at present.
Sure there is a trade-off but not that scary as many here have trod the path, bought, received & are using the 280AH cells from Known Good Vendors.

Regarding BMS, I'd say Daly is the bottom value end at this time, they have come out with "smart bms" but they are new and not really well known over time. There are several different BMS' in use and it does depend on your application, how many amps you will be drawing and what the peak limits will be. Typically, up to 200A you can go with a FET Based BMS (derated by 25% min) after 200A you'd be looking at Relay/Contactor controlled BMS like the Chargery, TinyBMS and so on. Without more info it is hard to suggest a BMS.
Dont think I'll hit 200a just right now I'm powering my salt water aquarium and my home theater which is about total 50a. I want to slowly add more stuff down the road but that is why I'm looking at getting a better capacity battery. Also I have 4-340 watt panels with a mpp solar

Last edited:
Dont think I'll hit 200a just right now I'm powering my salt water aquarium and my home theater which is about total 50a
Amps can be confusing when different voltages are concerned. Is that 50 Amps 120 volt AC current? That could be close to 125v Amps into a 48 volt inverter.

This person is talking 24VDC Battery Based system. 50A @ 120V = Too Much for an entertainment system seems to me. Verify your numbers, do NOT guess. If you cannot see the labels / markings indicating amps/watts then you best get a Kill-A-Watt type meter and figure it out.

120VAC X 50A = 6000W AC ÷ 24VDC = 6000W or 250A from the DC Bank. (uncorrected)
EXAMPLE: 120Vx15A (the typical 120V circuit is limited to 15A by code) = 1800W. on 24V Battery that is 75A

Maybe they have been moved to the 'Corporate' section.

Heiwei Dao had a decent thread in the corporate section but he spammed in other threads to he was kicked out and rightfully so. A couple of us warned him hoping he would stop but then he came and did it again. Also it has just been reported to me he is did hot honor his shipping price. One forum member received an invoice with the agreed shipping price and all was good. Then the member received an updated shipping price which made the deal higher than some of the others seen around here.

Heiwei Dao would have still made a profit had he honored the original shipping price. He did change his price in his thread in the corporate section before the thread was removed to reflect the higher shipping cost as he claimed he made a miscalculation. And that's fine. But to not honor the shipping price on the original orders he invoiced for is wrong. Therefore, in light of this fact I am sorry to say I am hesitant to recommend him at this time. It's kinda sad as he was friendly and transparent. I really wanted to give this guy a chance.

Back