diy solar

diy solar

Which - BMS 48v 16s 250A - Lifepo4 to talk to inverter

Spikeuk

Hi Guys,

Getting all my parts together for new solar setup in UK... would love to hear some advice on choosing a bms...

I have purchased the inverter off grid 5kw https://voltaconsolar.com/off-grid/conversol-v7-off-grid-inverter.html

its got a BMS port directly on inverter : ''BMS communication port: CAN and RS232 or RS485 ''

I understand CAN / RS232 / RS485 is type of cable/protocol for BMS communications...

Im looking for a BMS , I don't want to spend more than £200 that will communicate with inverter.

Im buiding a DIY battery bank 48v using Lifepo4 cells (16 units 3.2v 280ah)

My load will be initially 1200w- for as long as possible, maybe more watts in future .

Initially I did some calculation
Inverter 6000W / 48v = 125A BMS, + 30% headroom 162.5A - which puts me upto 200A BMS - however reading online someone said if your buying a cheap BMS just buy the max Amp possible - even double. With this in mind I was looking at the 250A BMS.

I was looking at this BMS:

250A 16s 48V

Daly one:

What does ''common communications port'' and 'separate port' mean exactly - I think common means it charges and discharges over the same cable?
whats the advantage/disadvantage of this? - is my inverter compatible?
I will be using the batteries while they are charging so dont want to have to switch between the two if thats what this relates too...

Any other compatible BMS unit you can recommend that are available in the UK?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Looking at that inverter link you posted, it sure resembles a Voltronic Axpert King / MPP Solar brand a lot.

I know several of the MPP Solar inverters say they support BMSs (turn-key batteries) from: Pylontech, WECO, and Soltaro...

There have been people here on the forum (search for the threads), who've indicated that Seplos BMS seems to communicate well with MPP Solar inverters. You could start there, but it's hard to say, these communications protocols are not standardized and very hit / miss at best...

As far as Daly, I never owned one, but have not really read great things about them on here (enough to know I don't really want to try one out).

As far as Same Port vs Separate Port charging, I know one disadvantage is that typically the max charge rate amps is lower rated on the separate port BMSs (than the load port), where the Common Port style will allow symmetrical charge / discharge amperages on that common port...

Hope I could help more, but that's all I got hehe...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, yes your right looks like a rebranded Voltronic Axpert King....

I really don't want to buy a DALY , they seem to be everywhere! , along with lots of failures- doesnt seem to be much choice at 48v 200a for UK buyers.

If I was to split my 16 x Lifepo4 cells 3.2 Eve 280ah into two 24v 100a batterys each with BMS - how do I link both BMS to inverter? I realise this would be extra costs/complexity but if it means I can buy a more reliable BMS... I would guess it depends on if the BMS can be linked in series? - then single connection from last BMS to inverter?

Seplos BMS 200A looks suitable, I think I need to have the 485 comms version for my inverter - Im based in UK - have you guys order directly from their website? https://www.seplos.com/ I can see some on Alibaba but...

Also as a work around I saw Solar assistant which I could setup on a Raspberry PI - from my understanding I could connect to inverter via micro usb so they can talk, and then also connect to a BMS via another cable so they can talk...

My understanding this can translate the two different comms protocols (depending on which BMS im using - (
as long as its programmed in software) however does it pass info from inverter to BMS and visa versa?

I think - Normal operation when BMS is directly connected to inverter - is inverter tells BMS to slowdown charging/stop etc, and BMS can send comms to stop inverter, how does this work with the Solar Assistant Pi in the middle? - when Inverter and BMS are using differnt comms protocols? - Do they actually talk to each other via the software or is it that the software allows users just to see both BMS and Inverter settings in one place - they do not communicate indirectly? , its just more convenient?

Any other alternatives to Seplos available in the UK?

I can see an ANT bms, are they any good?

Thanks for the info, yes your right looks like a rebranded Voltronic Axpert King....

I really don't want to buy a DALY , they seem to be everywhere! , along with lots of failures- doesnt seem to be much choice at 48v 200a for UK buyers.

If I was to split my 16 x Lifepo4 cells 3.2 Eve 280ah into two 24v 100a batterys each with BMS - how do I link both BMS to inverter? I realise this would be extra costs/complexity but if it means I can buy a more reliable BMS... I would guess it depends on if the BMS can be linked in series? - then single connection from last BMS to inverter?

Seplos BMS 200A looks suitable, I think I need to have the 485 comms version for my inverter - Im based in UK - have you guys order directly from their website? https://www.seplos.com/ I can see some on Alibaba but...

Also as a work around I saw Solar assistant which I could setup on a Raspberry PI - from my understanding I could connect to inverter via micro usb so they can talk, and then also connect to a BMS via another cable so they can talk...

My understanding this can translate the two different comms protocols (depending on which BMS im using - (
as long as its programmed in software) however does it pass info from inverter to BMS and visa versa?

I think - Normal operation when BMS is directly connected to inverter - is inverter tells BMS to slowdown charging/stop etc, and BMS can send comms to stop inverter, how does this work with the Solar Assistant Pi in the middle? - when Inverter and BMS are using differnt comms protocols? - Do they actually talk to each other via the software or is it that the software allows users just to see both BMS and Inverter settings in one place - they do not communicate indirectly? , its just more convenient?

i have ordered mine directly from seplos...
be aware there are 2 versions : the CANBUS and the RS485 version...
waiting to test the latter one with my Voltronics Inverters ( same as voltacon and mpp solar)

will post something when i have done some testing.
Another way would be to order the f-won CANBUS to RS485

I didn't actually buy a Seplos BMS but I had been in email communications with their sales dept just using the email on their website, and they gave me some price quotes and were happy to sell me some BMS had I kept going.

I had already purchased my JBD 200a 16-20s BMSs so I didn't drop the hammer on the Seplos ones. My current plan is to just use Solar Assistant as it can talk to the MPP LV6548s and the JBD BMSs, it is just the new middleman UI that side steps the MPP management software altogether.

But if I were going to try and do it all over again, I might've just bought the Seplos ones to start with, although it seems Solar Assistant works good for the others who use it, I think it will be ok for my use so I'm happy with the solution. I've already purchased the Solar Assistant, installed it on a Raspberry Pi and started playing with it, and it seems good so far.

I'm not confident on which BMS to choose for my DIY lifepo4 48v 16s to work with my inverter...

1) - ok so looking at the forums it looks like 'Canbus' protocol on my inverter (Voltronic Axpert King.) is 'reserved' aka currently disabled at firmware level until Voltronic get round to coding it in new firmware? is this for all Canbus protocol comms or a specific 'flavour' of canbus?

Which leaves only RS485 BMs's ?

2) Are there any examples of Voltronic Axpert King + any BMS?

Any videos/links I find they usally just hook it up to a Plyon? battery with BMS built in..

I can't seem to find any working examples of the 'Voltronic Axpert King.' with any 48v BMS 16s ?
Am I better to use 2 x 100A bms than a single 200A one as - I could buy 2 x 'Overkill' (max is 100A ) BMS and link them - Do the overkill BMS work with Voltronic Axpert King?

The 48v 200a 16s Seplos RS485 version BMS - I cant see anyone has tested this BMS with the Axpert King inverter?

At the moment im leaning to buying the Seplos 48v 200a RS485 as well as Raspberry Pi + SolarAssistant - im pretty sure this would work one way or the other? Do I need to buy any extra cable with the Seplos?

There's also the Heltec Jk Bms some people have been vouching for it in the forum , maybe you can also consider it and see which one will work best for your setup .

Hi Guys,

Getting all my parts together for new solar setup in UK... would love to hear some advice on choosing a bms...

I have purchased the inverter off grid 5kw https://voltaconsolar.com/off-grid/conversol-v7-off-grid-inverter.html

its got a BMS port directly on inverter : ''BMS communication port: CAN and RS232 or RS485 ''

I understand CAN / RS232 / RS485 is type of cable/protocol for BMS communications...

Im looking for a BMS , I don't want to spend more than £200 that will communicate with inverter.

Im buiding a DIY battery bank 48v using Lifepo4 cells (16 units 3.2v 280ah)

My load will be initially 1200w- for as long as possible, maybe more watts in future .

Initially I did some calculation
Inverter 6000W / 48v = 125A BMS, + 30% headroom 162.5A - which puts me upto 200A BMS - however reading online someone said if your buying a cheap BMS just buy the max Amp possible - even double. With this in mind I was looking at the 250A BMS.

I was looking at this BMS:

250A 16s 48V

Daly one:

What does ''common communications port'' and 'separate port' mean exactly - I think common means it charges and discharges over the same cable?
whats the advantage/disadvantage of this? - is my inverter compatible?
I will be using the batteries while they are charging so dont want to have to switch between the two if thats what this relates too...

Any other compatible BMS unit you can recommend that are available in the UK?

Thanks Guys!

I own three Daly BMS. Bad choice.

ragazzi anche io ho un voltronic, e vorrei comunicare con la batteria tramite
Bms, ma il seplos riesce?

I have, but using a Raspi to do CANBUS to Rs485.

Seplos released their rs-485 right before their hollidays started, and i , amongst other on this forum have recieved it.
It came without good documentation however, so we're waiting for Seplos to return from their holiday so we can start testing

Grazie amici miei,sto creando anche io il mio pacco batterie , volevo chiedere che vantaggi ho se comunica con l’inverter

Grazie amici miei,sto creando anche io il mio pacco batterie , volevo chiedere che vantaggi ho se comunica con l’inverter
If you're using a lithium battery, you get better results if the inverter can see the SOC (state of charge ) instead of the voltage,
Se stai usando una batteria al litio, ottieni risultati migliori se l'inverter può vedere il SOC (stato di carica) invece della tensione,

If you're using a lithium battery, you get better results if the inverter can see the SOC (state of charge ) instead of the voltage,
Se stai usando una batteria al litio, ottieni risultati migliori se l'inverter può vedere il SOC (stato di carica) invece della tensione,
the seplos bms has a build in shunt

Back