diy solar

diy solar

Which hybrid inverter to get, sungold or growatt

sandog

Good morning. I am looking between the Sungold SP6548 and an equivalent Growatt unit, do not know the models. I need to have 4 total, running two of them each in parallel, for an output of 13kw into two different circuit panels, hence the need for 4 of them. Input to them will be either two 240v 50A from shore power or from a 33kw genset. Will be attached to a 130kwh Lithium battery bank. There are approximately 16 panels, for about 9kw of solar panels.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

Good morning. I am looking between the Sungold SP6548 and an equivalent Growatt unit, do not know the models. I need to have 4 total, running two of them each in parallel, for an output of 13kw into two different circuit panels, hence the need for 4 of them. Input to them will be either two 240v 50A from shore power or from a 33kw genset. Will be attached to a 130kwh Lithium battery bank. There are approximately 16 panels, for about 9kw of solar panels.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Michael

All voltronics-type (MPP solar, Growatt, Sungold, etc.) are NOTORIOUSLY intolerant of generator power UNLESS they are a very clean INVERTER generator with a near perfect sine wave.

There's a reason the Chargeverter exists.

Gross numbers-wise, a 9kWh array feels undersized for the rest of the equipment.

All voltronics-type (MPP solar, Growatt, Sungold, etc.) are NOTORIOUSLY intolerant of generator power UNLESS they are a very clean INVERTER generator with a near perfect sine wave.

Gross numbers-wise, a 9kWh array feels undersized for the rest of the equipment.
Good to know how intolerant they are from a genset. The solar array is the largest I can get given my external space constraints

There are two gensets. First is a northern lights 33kw 240v marine, second is a pulsar 5.5kw 120vac marine

I have a feeling you are not in the USA. But if you can get hold of them it seems a pair of Solark 15k, EG4 18kpv or 4 6000XP would be better options.
I am in the USA. Delivery location will be houston, TX area.

I have a feeling you are not in the USA. But if you can get hold of them it seems a pair of Solark 15k, EG4 18kpv or 4 6000XP would be better options.
The 6000xp is off grid, so not an ideal situation. Or can I use the eg4 chargeverters and an off grid inverter. The solar and 18kpv I would prefer to avoid the cost as it will push me into the $12kusd plus territory. I would go the victron route w that price tag. Trying to keep inverters into.the price range as I would like to keep one spare around as well in case one goes down. And I unfortunately need about 20kw of juice, but do need to break it into two load panels as going to a 100amp service is incredibly expensive, and the amount of locations that have 100amp service is substantially reduced.

The 6000xp is off grid, so not an ideal situation. Or can I use the eg4 chargeverters and an off grid inverter. The solar and 18kpv I would prefer to avoid the cost as it will push me into the $12kusd plus territory. I would go the victron route w that price tag. Trying to keep inverters into.the price range as I would like to keep one spare around as well in case one goes down. And I unfortunately need about 20kw of juice, but do need to break it into two load panels as going to a 100amp service is incredibly expensive, and the amount of locations that have 100amp service is substantially reduced
If neither are inverter generators, you likely need to look at multiple chargeverters.
The 5.5kw 120vac genset I want to have tuen on to just charge the batteries if they get low

Sungold TP6048 here and also another chargeverter vote. Feeding the dc side is the better way to go. Anything the inverter doesn't use/need from the dc charger running off the generator also charges the batteries.

The 6000xp is off grid, so not an ideal situation.

Huh? The SP6548 is also an off grid unit. I don't understand your concern.

The 5.5kw 120vac genset I want to have tuen on to just charge the batteries if they get low

@ 120V the max the chargeverter can deliver is 50A or about 2700-2800W, and it may be further limited by the output of your generator. Your generator would need a 30A, 120V output.

Huh? The SP6548 is also an off grid unit. I don't understand your concern.

@ 120V the max the chargeverter can deliver is 50A or about 2700-2800W, and it may be further limited by the output of your generator. Your generator would need a 30A, 120V output.
The sp6548 allows ac input. So.is a hybrid converter I believe. The 5.5kw genset I want programmed to turn on amd automatically charge the batteries if they get low. Basically, everything else has failed and that is my backup.

I need a hybrid as I have a 240v 50 Amp ac coming in

I think the 6000xp has a built in transfer switch for your genny. The 18KPV or Sol15K would be single units 50A capable out of the box, and allow backfeed, which is what makes them Hybrids. Maybe you should poke the manuals on the various inverters before you reach any conclusions you may not be happy with. For simplicity of wiring it all up the 6000XP is going to be hard to beat.

I think the 6000xp has a built in transfer switch for your genny. The 18KPV or Sol15K would be single units 50A capable out of the box, and allow backfeed, which is what makes them Hybrids. Maybe you should poke the manuals on the various inverters before you reach any conclusions you may not be happy with. For simplicity of wiring it all up the 6000XP is going to be hard to beat.
Yes, they are 50 Amp units. I have two service inputs that required. So two units would be required.

I.will check out the 6000xp

Back