diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring apps and a few general questions concerning lipo

bbqjoe

I'm not new to off grid power, I've been off grid almost 30 years. I've gone through my fair share of L16's and at least 4 different inverters and charge controllers as I graduated from 12v to 24V.

For the last 7 years I've been using 2 100-13 te forklift batteries that I believe are tired, but can still be used elsewhere.
I just upgraded to lipo 48v. with two sungold SP6548's and six sg 48100p batteries running together for a 120/220 system.
I have (12) 280w panels tied series parallel to one inverter, and (8) 480w panels tied series to the other.

I'm using the watchpower app (as suggested by sungold) and I'm uncertain of the things I'm seeing.

I'm reading/watching and digesting more info on lipo/solar than I really care to, and my head hurts from it all.

So anyways, a few general questions.....

Are Lipo battery SOC percentages viewed as 0-100% or is it actually possible to have a SOC like 147% like watchpower is showing.
Am I stupid?
Is this app on drugs?
Is there something better for an apple guy like me? I see so many apps that I really don't care to DL them all to try and swim through that sea.

I'm 100% off grid, so there's no need to monitor utility power ins and outs, but if Lipo batteries are really capable of having SOC's above 100%, I suppose this WP app is ok then.
I'm only one week into this Lipo thing, so please forgive my ignorance and stupid questions.

Clarify something: are you talking about LIFEPO4 or LiPo technology in regards to your batteries?

I'm looking at the readings from the watchpower app. It's says things like my batteries are at 152%.
Can these lithium ion batteries really register holding more than 100% or is this app a joke?

I'm looking at the readings from the watchpower app. It's says things like my batteries are at 152%.
Can these lithium ion batteries really register holding more than 100% or is this app a joke?
Personally, I've never used that app, but unless something is off in the way you set it up, I wouldn't trust it. 100% is what the battery will hold. There's no magic "half again" capability for any battery.

Personally, I've never used that app, but unless something is off in the way you set it up, I wouldn't trust it. 100% is what the battery will hold. There's no magic "half again" capability for any battery.
That's pretty much what I thought. I had some problems when first setting up my two inverters to work together. Then my supplier told me I shouldn't have done anything with the slave inverter but just let the master do everything, so I ended up doing a factory reset and started over, and everything began working much better, especially when I also found the batteries instruction manual had a glitch in the address instructions. Maybe the slave still needs some settings set, such as the battery type.
I think I'll give that a go.

Back