diy solar

diy solar

Which material should I choose for a DIY LiFePo4 Battery terminal

Hi

Hi, I've decided to go with the copper bolts, so much cheaper and if using tight copper washers, there should be a good connections.
Good luck with that. Hopefully you will never have to remove the bolt from aluminum terminal.

Bolts and washers are not for carrying current. They are to provide the terminal to lug/bus bar surface to surface compression for low resistance contact connections.

Good luck with that. Hopefully you will never have to remove the bolt from aluminum terminal.

Bolts and washers are not for carrying current. They are to provide the terminal to lug/bus bar surface to surface compression for low resistance contact connections.
I'm not using the copper bolts for the battdry terminals, they will be for the battery box terminals.

I see nothing wrong using 3/8 (M10?) copper rod or bolts for the external battery connection.

Although some regular through case bulkhead terminals would be my preference:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/3256801679441254.html

I know nothing about this seller. Shop around.
Thanks, I'm still not sure what to use. I like the neatness of the through terminales.
Sorry, but I just don't know, what connector do I need to screw into 'hole'. I can see its a M10 connecter, but what do I need to search for
Thanks

Any M10 bolt from the local hardware store is fine. Take it with you and see what fits. As said above the terminals clamped together conducts the electricity direct... the bolt just provides the clamping force.

Any M10 bolt from the local hardware store is fine. Take it with you and see what fits. As said above the terminals clamped together conducts the electricity direct... the bolt just provides the clamping force.
Thanks a lot.
Tony

what size anderson connectors would anyone recommend for a 48v x 13.4kw battery please? on line calculators are suggesting 270A ....? the battery will feed into a sofar me3000 sp ac/ac inverter.

These are the "BulkHead" Connectors I have in use.
Links (Amazon.com) & Notes provided.

1668938186519.png

Fastronix Premium High Current 3/8" Thru Panel Battery Terminal Connectors
Link for the pair

These are large (1-1/4" - 35mm) width & Bolt is (2-1/16" - 55mm) long
You can twist the copper through the "grommet".
13 mOhm resistance through the terminal.

These re somewhat awkward and depending on the "box" being used may not be suitable.

Blue Sea Systems Terminal Feed Through Connectors 3/8
the Plastic barrel is 7/8" - 25mm wide, Bolt is (3-1/8" - 80mm) long
Red Connector Link
Black Connector Link

14 mOhm resistance through the terminal

These are much easier to use and the wide face has 2 screw holes for attachment. Contact Surface for the terminals is excellent.

1668938980855.png
3/8" Copper Battery Terminal Stud Connector, Ampper Remote Battery Binding Post Junction Post Block Terminal Kit, Pack of 2 (Red and Black)
Link to set

Similar are installed in my Samlex Inverter/Charger (supplemental input NOT the primary DC Cable input). I cannot provide measurement or Resistance values. ! Best Bang per Dollar.

They are very solid and secure, excellent for a thinner casing material (metal, ABS etc) These are ideal for Battery Boxes, see the link for more details AND look at the price, an excellent value !

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Steve_S

what size anderson connectors would anyone recommend for a 48v x 13.4kw battery please? on line calculators are suggesting 270A ....? the battery will feed into a sofar me3000 sp ac/ac inverter.
I wouldn't get anything less than that. They are known to get hot under high current. You are looking at about 60A max under full load.

Another problem you might have is that it will be pesky to precharge your inverter capacitors if that is your only means of connecting the battery to the inverter. The feed through lugs shown above would allow you to connect one cable and then use a light bulb to precharge while holding the second cable, then connect the second cable.

I wouldn't get anything less than that. They are known to get hot under high current. You are looking at about 60A max under full load.

Another problem you might have is that it will be pesky to precharge your inverter capacitors if that is your only means of connecting the battery to the inverter. The feed through lugs shown above would allow you to connect one cable and then use a light bulb to precharge while holding the second cable, then connect the second cable.
thanks, i intend using 25 mm/sq cable as that looks to be the right size on the bms (seplos 16s 200a) - sorry about asking questions on someone elses thread, but it is related

weird, and i dont know why, but they are twice the price in the UK than they are in the US??

Back