diy solar

diy solar

Which MPP Solar model is better for my system?

AWD

Hi.There are so many of the MPP all in one models with variations, I am a little lost. Waiting to hear back from MPP Solar but would love some input here on the forum.

Trying to build a 5kWh off-grid system. Will be connecting 2 of the 24V in series LiFePO4 Powerwalls which are 3kWh each.

Just don't know for sure which MPP solar model is the best way to go? I am quite new at this. Looking at either 2 of these PIP 3048LV -MK X2 models wired together in parallel which gives 6KWh 48V or at Will Prowse's suggestion on his site, an LV5048 which is 5kWh at 48V. The reason I was considering the two units in parallel was that the cost is about the same and it looks like I get an extra 1kWh.

But honestly, there are so many variables here that I want to make sure I am covering my bases.

If you have any suggestions, by all means, they are welcome.

Also, I am wondering, do I just plug in a power strip into this inverter to get enough AC outlets? I am moving into a cabin that has no internal wiring or outlets (yet), and until that is done, I am going to need to power a bunch of things via AC.

Thanks!

Well I think you are misunderstanding those units, you don't get kwh from an inverter but from a battery, the inverter wattage its the max watt appliances you can keep working at the same time, with a greater inverter, you will get more continuous watts for your appliances, but the capacity of watts per hour is given by your batteries.

First, you need to know which voltage do you need, assuming its 110V I suggest the PIP 2424MSD 24V system unless you need a very big system, and I doubt it since you have only 2 batteries. You don't need to buy 2 units if you want more kwh, you have to get more batteries or solar panels if you want to get more kwh at daylight.

Also, larger units will consume more watts just to keep the inverter on without any appliances which it's not good unless you have a very big PV array and good battery bank, so going for a 48V LV5048 system is not good unless you really need it.

This is just a suggestion, but you have to choose your system based on your needs, we need more information to help you out.

Last edited:
First of all thanks a lot for caring to help! I see what you are saying.

I got this idea for the components from Will Prowse suggestion. But I think you are probably right as I understand more and think about it. I am still a little confused though. I am going to be running a large chest freezer and a separate fridge freezer combo at the same time. These obviously run all day but I think they turn on and off as needed and when running together use about maybe 175 watts per hour or 1.9 kWh per day. Everything else is just normal use for two or three people such as lights and typical appliance use throughout the day and evening at certain times. Our stove will not be electric not will our heating system.

So considering all of this, I do believe your suggestion of the PIP 2424MSD 24V would be fine right? Then I could just run the 2 x 24V LiFePO4 in parallel instead of series, having a 24 V system? Again I need 5kWh per day potential use. If all that works, then I need to know how much solar panel total wattage I should have on my roof? If I am correct, I believe the panels must be compatible with the other components in regards to voltage limits. Keep in mind please I will be living in a place that is cloudy and cold and even gets down into the low teens or maybe on occasion single digits Fahrenheit. Please advise.

Also, I may have a few DC appliances, but mostly AC. My cabin doesn't have any AC wiring yet so I will need to use powertrips and extension cords for a while. What do you think is best? Please advise.

Last edited:
Yes, you can wire the batteries in parallel to get the same 24V and double Ah, just check your batteries specs and make sure your batteries supports parallel connection. Those units have a working temp range from 0 to 55° centigrade.

This unit supports up yo 2000w PV array(solar panels) you could start with 2 minimum or maybe 4 300w solar panels, renogy makes 300w solar panels. The PV array must be in 30-80 max voltage and less than 140Voc, if you get the renogy 24V 300w solar panels you can get max 2 in series to avoid exceeding the voltage, if you want 4 panels just connect 2 in series, other 2 in series then connect in parallel, you can add max 6 of these panels for 1800W.

For AC output you could just and some wires and an ac outlet and mount it on the same table you will mount your unit to secure your cables and terminals, then connect anything you need there, extension cords, powertrip, etc.

Last edited:
Do you happen to know if the LV 2424 Hybrid is the exact same as the 2424LV-MSD except that it adds hybrid capability? It looks the same, but I don't know. The reason I ask is it is almost exactly the same price and the shipping is much sooner.

Will recomends 270W solar panels, they are cheaper than 300w, based on watts per dolar, 300w cost 345$ and 270w cost 262$, i wont buy the 300w for that price lol.

Also there is an offer for 3 270W solar panels for 629$ on amazon, that makes no sense lol, 2 of them cost 575$, and 6 panels is cheaper that 5... what happened there, maybe shipping?

Do you happen to know if the LV 2424 Hybrid is the exact same as the 2424LV-MSD except that it adds hybrid capability? It looks the same, but I don't know. The reason I ask is it is almost exactly the same price and the shipping is much sooner.
Is the hybrid the green one? those are for grid-tie, but Will said they come with that feature disabled so you can use it for off-grid, just make sure before buying, if you are not sure just go for the 2424LV-MSD, the white one.

About shipping, if you are from USA or America go for USA MPP solar, easier to return for warranty.

Reactions: AWD
yeah green one .. just wanted to make sure it was just as good . I was looking on eBay and they both ship from Hong Kong.

Jose, I see the 3048 LV - MK model is like the same price as the 2424LV-MSD. Isn't 48V significantly more efficient and how much do you think this really matters? If the same price, which one you like better?

Jose, I see the 3048 LV - MK model is like the same price as the 2424LV-MSD. Isn't 48V significantly more efficient and how much do you think this really matters? If the same price, which one you like better?
I already explain why you should not go for 48V, larger inverters will have more iddle consumption which is not good. Also, 48V is not a safe voltage, you can get shocked if you don't know what you are doing.

I'm not familiar with those MK units, maybe someone else can help on when you should use those instead of the Pip MS.

I just ordered 2 of the LV3048 units for my off-grid home. Will be here in 2 weeks time. Let me know if you get them. Be good to share some tips.
They look like a solid upgrade from the older 2024/5048. Im excited to try them out.
Im connecting them to my 15kw/h BYD battery bank And 5kW of solar panels. Also I have a 9kw split phase generator as a backup that works with these units.48v is the way to go. More efficient and less overheating wires to deal with.
Joe.

Hi.There are so many of the MPP all in one models with variations, I am a little lost. Waiting to hear back from MPP Solar but would love some input here on the forum.

Trying to build a 5kWh off-grid system. Will be connecting 2 of the 24V in series LiFePO4 Powerwalls which are 3kWh each.

Just don't know for sure which MPP solar model is the best way to go? I am quite new at this. Looking at either 2 of these PIP 3048LV -MK X2 models wired together in parallel which gives 6KWh 48V or at Will Prowse's suggestion on his site, an LV5048 which is 5kWh at 48V. The reason I was considering the two units in parallel was that the cost is about the same and it looks like I get an extra 1kWh.

But honestly, there are so many variables here that I want to make sure I am covering my bases.

If you have any suggestions, by all means, they are welcome.

Also, I am wondering, do I just plug in a power strip into this inverter to get enough AC outlets? I am moving into a cabin that has no internal wiring or outlets (yet), and until that is done, I am going to need to power a bunch of things via AC.

Thanks!

A large chest freezer and separate full-size fridge/ freezer combo and lights and some computers and the occasional odd appliance like a coffee grinder or blender. Its just two people, maybe three. I decided to go with 1 PIP 3048LV-MK with the two Lif 24V powerwalls wired in series. I will probably get around 1800W in panels and I can always expand.

Before you size your off-grid system, look at your usage at home today. With less than $100 of equipment from Amazon you can get detailed reports. From this, I can see I needed a 22kw battery bank for my usage today, but that is mainly because the 240v dryer got heavily used. Normally its around 16kw/h a day.

I have around 500w of background usage from all the crap in my house left running, and it spikes to 5kw when the heavy duty items are turned on like the oven and dryer.

This information makes it really easy to decide what you need off-grid and what items are important to take with you.

37D71955-4B6E-4752-8175-7EFBEF1CC4EA.png

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate that a lot. And glad I will be using a wood stove cooker and not a regular dryer. LOL. So what Amazon product is this that gives you this detailed report?

A raspberry Pi zero ($25) Running Linux and 2 of these, connected to each side of your split phase 110 circuits on any standard main fuse box.
They just clamp on in minutes. A fun weekend project.

I use this Pi Zero
You will need a $8 SD card also.

Then a few Python scripts to write the data to a database and plot the info with Grafana. All free opensource.
Then point your browser at the raspberry pi to get the reports. I can provide the scripts if your interested. Joe.

Once you have done this you can use this tech to monitor your entire solar system and BMS. Its time well invested. Look at my earlier posts.

Last edited:
A raspberry Pi zero ($25) Running Linux and 2 of these, connected to each side of your split phase 110 circuits on any standard main fuse box.
They just clamp on in minutes. A fun weekend project.

I use this Pi Zero
You will need a $8 SD card also.

Then a few Python scripts to write the data to a database and plot the info with Grafana. All free opensource.
Then point your browser at the raspberry pi to get the reports. I can provide the scripts if your interested. Joe.

Once you have done this you can use this tech to monitor your entire solar system and BMS. Its time well invested. Look at my earlier posts.

I am interested in this. Can you provide your python script somewhere like in a git repo?

Back