diy solar

diy solar

Which one?

Traviss224

I am upgrading from lead acid to lithium. My FLA now are 48v 390ah setup. I would like to do something similar and when more $$ is available add to it.

What are a good recommendations? There are so many!!!

Signature solar has 48v 100ah batteries for $999 but was told that they're not recommended for solar because there is no communication.

Server rack batteries?

I would prefer to have comms with BMS. I use Sunny Island, which has its particular protocol.
It has been reported by a member that EG4 PowerPro talks to Sunny Island (among others - settable protocol.) We may hear more authoritative confirmation after Current Connected receives some and does testing.
See if it supports your inverter. $4000 for 280 Ah 48V, and it has an outdoor enclosure.

There are a lot of lithium batteries on Amazon that can replace lead-acid batteries, and their biggest market is replacing lead-acid batteries

I am upgrading from lead acid to lithium. My FLA now are 48v 390ah setup. I would like to do something similar and when more $$ is available add to it.

What are good recommendations? There are so many!!!

Signature solar has 48v 100ah batteries for $999 but was told that they're not recommended for solar because there is no communication.

Server rack batteries?
generally the server rack style packs will have comms
some have a built-in display while others do not.
A dedicated montor (such as solar assistant/home assistant) is an excellent way to monitor and control the overall system
I have a 6k growatt 240v output 4500 watts solar array.
Inverters and batteries need to have matching comm protocols - growatts will communicate with some server racks - hopefully the growatt experts can chime in here to confirm
4.5kW of solar depending upon location on the planet, could be expected to bring in 20kWh per day, perhaps 400Ah is a good target for your LiFePO4 battery ESS.

Do they have non diy batteries? I don't want to build anything.
Ready made server racks currently popular:
EG4 Lifepower by Signature Solar
SOK by Current Connected and others
AOlithium
RUiXU - sold directly by them
I would personally avoid Amazon/ebay/aliexpress.
The only issue to avoid is a battery that is not compatable with the comms for the Growatt. - @timselectric is running growatt IIRC perhaps Tim can confirm if there are any of the above to avoid?

generally the server rack style packs will have comms
some have a built-in display while others do not.
A dedicated montor (such as solar assistant/home assistant) is an excellent way to monitor and control the overall system

Inverters and batteries need to have matching comm protocols - growatts will communicate with some server racks - hopefully the growatt experts can chime in here to confirm
4.5kW of solar depending upon location on the planet, could be expected to bring in 20kWh per day, perhaps 400Ah is a good target for your LiFePO4 battery ESS.

Ready made server racks currently popular:
EG4 Lifepower by Signature Solar
SOK by Current Connected and others
AOlithium
RUiXU - sold directly by them
I would personally avoid Amazon/ebay/aliexpress.
The only issue to avoid is a battery that is not compatable with the comms for the Growatt. - @timselectric is running growatt IIRC perhaps Tim can confirm if there are any of the above to avoid?

I think 400ah would be plenty. As it is probably twice as much as what I have now. Right now, if I conserve energy closely, I can do about 3 days of bad weather with minimum solar produced.

The ruixu looks like it ships from China. Have y'all had any problems with them shipping?

Both Will Prowse (the owner of this forum!) and Lithium Solar have comparison videos on youtube - a couple attached here, there are more if you look.
I don't have any Growatt inverters, and tried to search the forum to see if any of the four I suggested would not communicate with Growatt, but was not able to find any comments indicating a problem, I think all four would work. (anyone that knows for certain please chime in!).
- from about a year ago,

- from a few weeks ago, three of the batteries I suggested are in this review.

Back