diy solar

diy solar

Which power inverter to buy? Newbie here!

Swamp, thanks I just grabbed my multimeter once I read your comment. Great, now I’ll be checking my exact voltage every morning!!! Not sure if I should say thanks lol…It was pretty cold out last night so the voltage dropped to 12.3
I’m going to order another panel for now. I’m thinking 3 100 watt panels for 2 24MDC 80ah batteries would save the in the long run!!!
Ooh, I didn’t mean to spread the my OCD over your way!

Sorry about that, didn’t mean to spread my OCD over your way!? What I would be looking for is to know how the batteries are holding up after a night of keeping the water warm and then seeing how well they get charged back up during the day. 12.3v is getting close to a flat 50% discharged level. I’m wondering what happens when you have a day or two of cloudy/rainy weather.
The 12.3 was during a a couple cloudy days and low teens temperatures at night. I checked it this morning and it was 12.7. Last most was only 30 degrees and 42 during the day. So, the heater didn’t have to work to hard.
This might be a dumb question but, can I add a 1-200 watt panel to my other 2-100 watt panels?

It sounds like you do have a light load with the water heater and short uses of the lights. And, I can see that you're getting ready to run the fans this summer and expand some electricity into the barn, too. (y)

I think you will incur a 5 to 9 percent penalty for mixing the panels if I'm calculating it correctly. I used the specs off of the Renogy website for 100w regular panels and 200w regular panels. It appears you would be better off production-wise to stick with all 100w panels of the same voltage. Add the Imp of the panels together and multiply it by the lowest voltage panel...that is supposed to determine the output in watts. Here's the article that I'm going by about joining panels of different ratings...about halfway down the article I think you'll find what you're looking to do. Use your panels' specs to calculate what they will produce when used together. Mixing solar panels – Dos and Don’ts

Btw, have you done the math on running two fans this summer?

It used to be so simple, 6v, 12v, 120v, 220v.....it's all Ben Fanklin's fault!!!!! (He hasn't been blamed for much lately<gFunny as soon as I read this comment
It used to be so simple, 6v, 12v, 120v, 220v.....it's all Ben Fanklin's fault!!!!! (He hasn't been blamed for much lately<g>)
Funny, once I read this comment I was like damn I didn’t know Ben Franklin knew anything about Solar. I’ve been watching Ben Franklin and Mad Scientists videos online for years..There both all about Offset Smokers!! Smoking brisket, ribs and anything you can imagine. I learned a lot about offset smoking from these guys!!!

It sounds like you do have a light load with the water heater and short uses of the lights. And, I can see that you're getting ready to run the fans this summer and expand some electricity into the barn, too. (y)

I think you will incur a 5 to 9 percent penalty for mixing the panels if I'm calculating it correctly. I used the specs off of the Renogy website for 100w regular panels and 200w regular panels. It appears you would be better off production-wise to stick with all 100w panels of the same voltage. Add the Imp of the panels together and multiply it by the lowest voltage panel...that is supposed to determine the output in watts. Here's the article that I'm going by about joining panels of different ratings...about halfway down the article I think you'll find what you're looking to do. Use your panels' specs to calculate what they will produce when used together. Mixing solar panels – Dos and Don’ts

Btw, have you done the math on running two fans this summer?
Guess, I’ll definitely be going for the 100 watt panels. Thanks for the info.
The fans are 15 watts each and they would be running 24/7.

Guess, I’ll definitely be going for the 100 watt panels. Thanks for the info.
The fans are 15 watts each and they would be running 24/7.
15 watt each...that's much lighter of a load than I was thinking. You'll be in good shape. (y)

Well a few of the low watt Victron Inverters have the build in plugs that can be used around water but there not water safe. I being in agricultural I did check out the 1,200 watt inverter and it comes in 12 volt,24 volt, and 48 volt. And Will P. did make a YouTube Video about them, Inverters R Us stocks and carries these Victron Inverters. For me it was possible to use these inverters in portable and part time settings but the did not have the power I need in a major power system, I also checked to see if they would be good for a low power source for night time use and not be a major drain at night on solar batteries. They have no power pass through from a 110/120 power source and they are not a inverter/battery charger. You also can not add these inverters in a multiple inverter system. So, you can only use them as the only one inverter in a system you are designing.
No I am not a Solar Power engineer but I am trying to learn and understand slowly and I am trying to use solar power in agricultural settings.
For me and a long range goal is the Victron Inverters and battery charger with the pass 110/120through and two circuits and multiple inverters can be connected to make a split phase system. I see the long range expanded abilities of the System. I see and value and importance of being able to expand Over time.

Back