diy solar

diy solar

Which pure sine wave inverter...

jmden

for a 12V 206Ah battery with max continuous discharge of 100A that has a terminal block? I'm hearing from one source that a 1200 watt inverter is it for that battery. All I want to do with this inverter is wire it directly to my power center in the trailer to power the 120V outlets for short periods of time. Thanks for the help!

What brand and model battery?
Some can surge to a lot higher than the continuous power rating. If it can do 200A for 10 minutes then a 2500 Watt Inverter would be ideal in case you need to use a microwave or some other heavy load for just a few minutes.

I bought the Cooper-Bussmann new old stock 1000W 12V UL listed and very happy with them, I use it in my garage to run my washing machine and fans, lights. It also has AC output terminals for hard wiring, it was made for truckers.

Last edited:
What brand and model battery?
Some can surge to a lot higher than the continuous power rating. If it can do 200A for 10 minutes then a 2500 Watt Inverter would be ideal in case you need to use a microwave or some other heavy load for just a few minutes.
12V SOK 206Ah Heated battery. So 1200 watts is what I’m gonna get out of it with its 100amp continuous discharge rate. It says 200amps for 3 seconds, then automatic shutoff. I need to check on wattage requirements for our small microwave, but am now thinking I may not be able to run it. Was hoping for a coffee make or small hair dryer, but it’s not looking good at the watts those draw.

I think I would like an inverter with a terminal block so I can wire it directly to my small trailer outlet circuit, but I have some more research to do here. Not sure the best way to do this. Good advice would be appreciated.

So…1200 watt continuous inverter with a terminal block. Does this magical device exist?

I bought the Cooper-Bussmann new old stock 1000W 12V UL listed and very happy with them, I use it in my garage to run my washing machine and fans, lights. It also has AC output terminals for hared wiring, it was made for truckers.
Thanks for the info just ordered 2

12V SOK 206Ah Heated battery. So 1200 watts is what I’m gonna get out of it with its 100amp continuous discharge rate. It says 200amps for 3 seconds, then automatic shutoff. I need to check on wattage requirements for our small microwave, but am now thinking I may not be able to run it. Was hoping for a coffee make or small hair dryer, but it’s not looking good at the watts those draw.
It’s kind of surprising that a 206A battery cannot handle 1C discharge for longer.

A 1000w PSW inverter is about as much as you can ask of that battery/BMS combo. There is loss in the conversion process to consider as well, figure about 15%, meaning your battery would actually have to supply 115A for a 1200w inverter to work at max output. I would actually recommend a second matching battery (12v SOK 206Ah), and wire them in parallel. This would give you 412Ah of capacity but 200A of discharge current (you add the BMS output together). Maybe overkill for AH capacity (can you ever have enough?), but this would comfortably run a 1500w PSW inverter or even a 2000w PSW inverter. Either should be able to run a coffee maker/kettle, or hair dryer, and most likely the microwave (not at the same time).

Thanks for the info just ordered 2
No terminal block on this one…? Still looking for a 1000-1200w with terminal block is someone happens to know of one. Or, how do folks wire an inverter into their outlet circuit in trail otherwise?

Consider a second battery and 2000 watt inverter.

No terminal block on this one…? Still looking for a 1000-1200w with terminal block is someone happens to know of one. Or, how do folks wire an inverter into their outlet circuit in trail otherwise?
https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

Most smaller inverters that have a transfer switch for hardwire, the transfer switch is rated lower than the standard 15 amps. Will limit what can be used if connected to utility power. Items like a space heater or hair dryer can overload the typical 8 or 10 amp internal transfer switch.

Last edited:
It does have AC input and AC output terminals, also see the user manual.
1668130891802.png

Attachments

• 12-110-1000-owners-guide.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
https://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

Most smaller inverters that have a transfer switch for hardwire, the transfer switch is rated lower than the standard 15 amps. Will limit what can be used if connected to utility power. Items like a space heater or hair dryer can overload the typical 8 or 10 amp internal transfer switch.
OK. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to research that. So you are saying that if I got a 1200w inverter, I should get one without its own auto transfer switch and use a 15 amp one as liked above? I'm not sure I understand what the transfer switch does. Do I need one?

OK. Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to research that. So you are saying that if I got a 1200w inverter, I should get one without its own auto transfer switch and use a 15 amp one as liked above? I'm not sure I understand what the transfer switch does. Do I need one?
Above was mentioned to wire this into the existing electric system on a branch circuit. To do so safely requires some type of transfer switch.

Transfer switch will keep the two electric supplies isolated.

Actually the Cooper-bussmann listed above seems to have a full rated transfer switch. Most others I have seen are 8 to 10 amps.

So the 1000/2000 watt Cooper-Bussmann (this is a pure sine wave inverter, right?) mentioned above... Can I wire this into the ac side of my trailer power center to supply power to a 900 watt microwave, 1000 watt (found a small one) hair dryer (wired to rv outlets, obviously), and the 1500 BTU per hour/440 watt rv fridge? Can I even do that with this inverter? That's wiring this inverter to three AC different circuits in the trailer. Can this be done?

It does appear, per the post above and looking pictures of the box that the Cooper-Bussmann has a full 15 amp rated internal transfer switch, which is great. I just don't know enough to know if it can/will do what I'm talking about above with a LiFePO4 SOK 206 Ah battery that can supply 100A continuous with surge to 200A for 3 seconds.

Or should I be looking at a 1200/2400 watt inverter such as the AIMS power and get an external transfer switch, which I realize may also not be enough.

So the 1000/2000 watt Cooper-Bussmann (this is a pure sine wave inverter, right?) mentioned above... Can I wire this into the ac side of my trailer power center to supply power to a 900 watt microwave, 1000 watt (found a small one) hair dryer (wired to rv outlets, obviously), and the 1500 BTU per hour/440 watt rv fridge? Can I even do that with this inverter? That's wiring this inverter to three AC different circuits in the trailer. Can this be done?

It does appear, per the post above and looking pictures of the box that the Cooper-Bussmann has a full 15 amp rated internal transfer switch, which is great. I just don't know enough to know if it can/will do what I'm talking about above with a LiFePO4 SOK 206 Ah battery that can supply 100A continuous with surge to 200A for 3 seconds.

Or should I be looking at a 1200/2400 watt inverter such as the AIMS power and get an external transfer switch, which I realize may also not be enough.

Is the microwave rated 900 cooking Watts or the 900W of input power?
Look at the tag on the door of the microwave to see what the power input it, if it is 900 cooking Watts then the power input can be higher than 1500W.

Back