diy solar

diy solar

Which Solar Panels?

doox00

I have batteries and inverters (eg4 6000xp's, 3 of them to start with) but not sure which panels to go with. Are there big differences (besides wattage) between the ones sold for instance on current connected or signature solar? I was looking at 2 pallets of the Hyperion 400w bifacial panels. What are the main differences with those and the much more expensive Bluesun 460 watt bifacial panels? Any recommended panels and which ones to avoid and why?

Last edited:
If track record and length of said is not a consideration then cheapest is the way to go? Maybe. Risk/reward seems no to me.

When I researched 15 months ago I determined the lowest grade of panels I'd consider was Canadian solar. Cheap tier one. Rec if best panel at a decent price, Silfab, Qcel if best overall value mix. So I would not choose either of the 2 you are looking at. This is a 30 year decision. Saving a little, relative to overall scope of project, on panel choice is not the route I went.

If track record and length of said is not a consideration then cheapest is the way to go? Maybe. Risk/reward seems no to me.

When I researched 15 months ago I determined the lowest grade of panels I'd consider was Canadian solar. Cheap tier one. Rec if best panel at a decent price, Silfab, Qcel if best overall value mix. So I would not choose either of the 2 you are looking at. This is a 30 year decision. Saving a little, relative to overall scope of project, on panel choice is not the route I went.

So what makes the ones you mentioned better than the two I listed? I am curious why the others are considered better. I don't really know the difference between them.

How many strings and how many panels per string are you planning? Look at the panels Voc, etc., that can be limiting to how many panels per string.

How many strings and how many panels per string are you planning? Look at the panels Voc, etc., that can be limiting to how many panels per string.

Have not figured that out yet, the inverters allow 2 strings per with max of 480v, will have 3 inverters so max of 6 strings. If I need a separate charger that is fine as well but ideally being able to hook them all the inverters is preferred.. even if I need to get a 4th inverter to do it that is fine too.

Have not figured that out yet, the inverters allow 2 strings per with max of 480v, will have 3 inverters so max of 6 strings. If I need a separate charger that is fine as well but ideally being able to hook them all the inverters is preferred.. even if I need to get a 4th inverter to do it that is fine too.
I’m familiar with the BlueSun panels. Probably want to limit it to 7 per string. 8 would be cutting it close.

I’m familiar with the BlueSun panels. Probably want to limit it to 7 per string. 8 would be cutting it close.
The Bluesun costs a lot more than the hyperion and is higher voltage, so less panels per string. What makes the Bluesun which are quite a bit more expensive better? This is the knowledge I am lacking to know which panels are good and which are not and why.

I came up with $0.40 vs $0.34

I understand price isn't everything but what is the difference between these two besides wattage?

So what makes the ones you mentioned better than the two I listed? I am curious why the others are considered better. I don't really know the difference between them.
Length of time in production. Record of that time. Strength of warranty. Strength of company. Ability to come out with improvements in panels. The companies I mention have all been making panels for decades.

Specific advantages how well they handle heat variation, how slowly they degrade over time.

Better? Like I said if none of the above is a consideration get the lowest cost per watt and hope for the best...

Last edited:
I would pay close attention to the Voltage open current number. I jumped on some panels that have a high VOC, therefore limiting my string. Review what your inverter can handle, and size accordingly. Depending on your installation site.

I have batteries and inverters (eg4 6000xp's, 3 of them to start with) but not sure which panels to go with. Are there big differences (besides wattage) between the ones sold for instance on current connected or signature solar? I was looking at 2 pallets of the Hyperion 400w bifacial panels. What are the main differences with those and the much more expensive Bluesun 460 watt bifacial panels? Any recommended panels and which ones to avoid and why?

Review all of Will's youtube videos on panels. Lots of good info and comparisons.
As for what makes one panel better over another? Here are a few thoughts:

Quality manufacturing
Customer satisfaction (reputation)
Longevity of manufacturer
Warranty
Power output under summer heat(temperature coefficient. Thats one stat what makes REC better)
Shading effect(another huge factor)
Cabling( some cheap panels skimp on the quality of the MC4 cables)
Install base ( What panels are solar companies using? They usually dont want unhappy customers).
Cost(Higher does not always mean better)
Availability( will you be able to expand later if needed)

And of course, how many panels are needed to satisfy your inverters volts and amps requirements

If you really want bifacial, this is a much better deal:

$0.275/watt

Thornova-550W TS-BG72

If you really want bifacial, this is a much better deal:

$0.275/watt

Thornova-550W TS-BG72
558 modules. He said he was looking at two pallets, or 72 modules.

Bluesun 550W bifacials are about the same cost, but you can buy just one pallet.

558 modules. He said he was looking at two pallets, or 72 modules.

Bluesun 550W bifacials are about the same cost, but you can buy just one pallet.

You keep saying they are about the same cost, but they are 50% more than the ones I was looking at, not sure why you keep saying this unless you know where to get them for .32 cents a watt with free shipping.

You keep saying they are about the same cost, but they are 50% more than the ones I was looking at, not sure why you keep saying this unless you know where to get them for .32 cents a watt with free shipping.
Where are you getting two pallets with free shipping and no tax?

Back