diy solar

diy solar

Who is happy with their BMS?

svHope

Hello, I am experimenting with a small 4S DIY battery system. I currently have a REC BMS that has a number of features that I like, the one I’m not too pleased with is how the REC SOC compares with my Victron BMV 712 SOC. Some of this may be because I am experimenting with a small 20 aH battery.

On the boat I plan on building 4 ea 200 aH batteries for a total capacity of 800 aH. I want to check to check and see who is happy with their BMS and comment on what kind. My loads can be high (300-400a) but short duration on the boat, so I think a remote relay connect/disconnect is my only choice. Things I like with the REC are, programming and flexibility of trigger points, interface to my pc for programming and logging, blue tooth connection, it balances cells very well, reliability reputation.

Attachments

• 757526C2-5C0C-4B9D-8D49-73D4138984E2.jpeg
    757526C2-5C0C-4B9D-8D49-73D4138984E2.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 23
Using the SBMS0, I wanted something that does not produce heat and I am using the Victron Multiplus build in relays to control the charging/discharging. I am happy with it and the maker uses and supports the product he makes. I have no experience with any of the other BMS's...

The problem with SOC is that the batteries aren’t 100% efficient

To make matters worse, this changes with temperature and charge rate.

The REC and BMV both have an algorithm to “reset” to 100% when voltage and current indicate a full battery.

If this doesn’t happen they get less accurate every charge cycle.

edit: I’m a happy REC user.

The problem with SOC is that the batteries aren’t 100% efficient

To make matters worse, this changes with temperature and charge rate.

The REC and BMV both have an algorithm to “reset” to 100% when voltage and current indicate a full battery.

If this doesn’t happen they get less accurate every charge cycle.

edit: I’m a happy REC user.
I agree there is a lot to like about the REC BMS, but I'm still in the learning mode. The other fact is that I am experimenting with a small capacity battery charging it fully and discharging it down to the low part on the knee. Thanks for your input.

If you were to use the Overkill Solar 120 amp BMS on each of the four batteries, that would be a total of 480 amps. It seems like that would satisfy your load expectation just fine. The hole in the feature set is integration with other devices. So far, I haven't felt a burning need for that.

Back