diy solar

diy solar

Who knows about solid-state batteries?

Rollann Cerry

When I bought batteries in Alibaba, I found that some sellers told me that they were selling solid-state batteries, which was true or not.

1699492096647.png

Toyota is working on a silver/carbon "solid state" or "non-liquid" battery that will be pretty amazing. Of course, they dont mention where they are going to get all the silver.

Toyota is working on a silver/carbon "solid state" or "non-liquid" battery that will be pretty amazing. Of course, they dont mention where they are going to get all the silver.
With how fast Toyota seems to be moving on things, my guess would be they plan on grabbing it from some asteroids after we get mining operations going.

Funny coincidence.
I'm watching the TV show "snake oil" , right now.

Solid state is a phrase that means no moving parts.

And to the newbie, it sounds like solid electrolyte... whoch is a new tech that has not matured yet...
Yes, electrolyte, they told me, it's replacing liquid electrolytes with solid electrolytes, which can reduce the risk of fire and explosion by 90%

With the current technology available to us mere mortals, "Solid State" may refer to just the BMS. A LiFePO4 battery or cell doesn't follow the typical definition of "Solid State". Or, it could be that the Alibaba/Aliexpress seller wanted to put as many key words into the description as possible, whether they understood the key word or not.

I think a few companies making solar generators are starting to sell them with solid-state batteries, but from what I can tell, the specs on the batteries are worse than lithium iron phosphate right now.

I think a few companies making solar generators are starting to sell them with solid-state batteries, but from what I can tell, the specs on the batteries are worse than lithium iron phosphate right now.
During this time, I have looked up a lot of information. The positive electrode material of the solid-state battery is also lithium iron phosphate, but the liquid electrolyte is replaced with a solid electrolyte.1699666380616.jpeg

Not much except the hype in some advertising.

I was offered a semi solid state power station to review that claimed really good specs and then they pulled the deal.

Don't know why but they looked good on paper!

In fact, What's mature now are semi-solid batteries. ceramic solid electrolyte. It can replace the liquid electrolyte of traditional lithium-ion batteries. Solid electrolyte can inhibit lithium dendrites, not burn, not explode, no electrolyte leakage, will not occur at high temperature side reactions. Large current operation will not cause lithium dendrites to Pierce the diaphragm and lead to short circuit, will not occur at high temperature side reactions, will not cause combustion due to gas generation. But there is still a 10% liquid electrolyte, because the problem is solid and solid can not be 100% contact.

I don't know, But I won't try “solid-state batteries”, The technology is immature and not many people are using it.

Toyota and Honda want to bring them to EV's in 2028 or thereabouts, but the tech has not been "made to work" yet which could explain why not many people are using it

Will did a video on a Chinese "solid state" battery, turned out to be a semi-solid state (Li-Po chemistry, apparently).

It also violently combusted.

As best I can tell, most of these solid state batteries are more like lab experiments, and it seems like they might have very high degradation rate, so I can't see them being the top choice for residential solar if that's the case.

Back