diy solar

diy solar

why a Giandel PS-2000QAR 12V inverter would just die

KneeOh

Hi,
I have a question as to why a Giandel PS-2000QAR 12V inverter would just die, dead, nadda, zilch :( ? I know its an open ended question, but maybe if I explain it may give clues.

I took the rig out on the road, to a park, I had a 380w projector, 500w sound system, a couple laptops with monitors and a Eurorack sound synth running off it all at once. Was drawing approx 800-900w and approx 7-8.5A for about 25mins, powered all devices one by one, projector then speakers were powered up last. All running off one of the 3 inverter GPOs (which I believe are 10Amp each). Normally if power to inverter goes below certain voltage (or batt power goes off) it makes a piercing noise. In this case it just died 5mins after powering up speakers. Could not turn it on at all, no LED red/green/orange/flashing, even after disconnecting power to it, then using different GPO.

I have attached a page which has all the specs of every component - exclude the CSB GP batteries in diagram - they are not connected.

Took it to an sound electronics mate who tested the 4 permanent fuses and regulators and said they were all ok - but didn't want to spend more 'free of charge' time on it.

Unit is 6mths past warranty. Contacted seller Giandel they said/asked a few things (my responses in brackets).
Please according to my way of trying first,
1. Connect the battery using our standard cable? (Yes)
2. Check your battery is fully charged? (Yes)
3. and the battery is enough 12v? (Yes)
4. Do you have another battery? Please connect another battery and try again. No-load and start the items again. (Yes)
5. Do you see any signs of burnt or damage? (No)
6. Sorry, the circuit board schematic is an internal document and we cannot publish it to the public. (FFS)
7. How many amps does your solar panel charge the battery through the solar controller at 12 p.m. at noon (direct sunlight)? (No panels connected at time)
8. What is the total power of the solar panel in watts? (N/A)
9. Technicians will now think that it is a problem of reduced battery capacity or whether the system is properly built. (Batter is fully charged above 12v)
10. How many years has your battery been used? The tech suspected the battery's capacity was declining even when it was fully charged. (As long as inverter 1.5yrs)
11. Can you please provide us the data, and our engineers will help calculate whether the system construction is reasonable? (Done)

Any advice would be most welcomed and helpful!

Much of the system I ended up with came about from the enlightening discussions in this thread > to-shunt-or-not-to-shunt

Attachments

• Solar-Kit v2.JPG
    Solar-Kit v2.JPG
    998.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Solar-Kit v2 excluding.JPG
    Solar-Kit v2 excluding.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Well there is no answer without deconstructing. I’m no electronics guy but I think you blew out the mosfets with heat and sustained surge.

For a 900W continuous load that can be quite dynamic with the audio (and I like Giandel for cheap but reasonable quality inverters) I think doing what you did on a 2kW inverter wasn’t a good idea.
I haven’t killed an inverter yet. Time will come I’m sure. But in your situation I’m thinking you need to be using a 3000W minimum inverter (900Wx3) but probably I would pick a 4000W model. You need the headroom for a drumbeat, staccato sound effect, or a sudden low frequency burst of modulation. That’s for ‘cheap’ but dependable inverters.
Best case would be a (high end quality) 2000W low frequency inverter if there’s such a thing, or a (quality but lower-priced) 3000W low frequency inverter which I’m pretty sure the market has a few to pick from.

That’s my experienced but somewhat novice opinion based on my knowledge.

You could always buy another 2000W Giandel and just factor in replacing it every coupla years…

Back