diy solar

diy solar

why do so few batteries have access to adding water?

pellicle

retired ex-professional dingbat
Given how important it is to not expose the plates to the air I wonder why its harder and harder to find batteries with access to add water.

Is it just that:
  • makers think people are too incompetent to be able to do this
  • makers want to sell more batteries

Most people don't want to perform and maintenance, so the manufacturers created "maintenance free" models to meet market demand. The sealed models work well in starting applications, but suck in energy storage setups. I don't know of any manufacturers who actually recommend their sealed batteries for ESS, so I don't think we can blame them for all of the issues.

I'll be honest, I don't even like filling my golf cart batteries so I get why people don't do it. It can be a mess and takes free time you might not have available at the same time the work needs to be done.

Most wet cell batteries allow you to remove the tops. Many of them look non-removable, but careful inspection shows that the caps are large and flat, sitting flush with the top of the case. Just pop 'em off and go for it!

makers think people are too incompetent to be able to do this
If you splash battery acid in your eye, who gets sued? It's a liability think for the most part. Sadly.

Most wet cell batteries allow you to remove the tops. Many of them look non-removable, but careful inspection shows that the caps are large and flat, sitting flush with the top of the case. Just pop 'em off and go for it!
Yup, there's usually a slot somewhere on the cap for a flat head screwdriver to get under there and pop the top free.

Given how important it is to not expose the plates to the air I wonder why its harder and harder to find batteries with access to add water.

Is it just that:
  • makers think people are too incompetent to be able to do this
  • makers want to sell more batteries
Or the chemistry is designed to use less water. If used correctly low water should not be an issue through the warranty period.

I would question if the batteries were more start batteries or combo batteries vs designed for deep cycle use.

Truly the sooner batteries can be converted to LFP and skip the water and other maintenance the better.

These "maintenance free" batteries tend to have more calcium in the lead alloy which makes them use less water. You should still check the level but that's the reason they don't have easy to remove fill caps.

Look for industrial lead batteries, they have water access and last very long.

At this point in time almost not worth doing if you don't need the weight for counterbalance something. Like a forklift.

At this point in time almost not worth doing
I’m looking forward to that.

If the needle on the record stops skipping around with our crazy world we might actually get there sooner than later.

Maybe the exact battery and use should be posted to get some better ideas.
it is a theoretical question. Given that as I said almost all good references on FLA suggest its part of proper inspection and maintenance.

As to use, well it would be for a solar off grid system of course ;-)

Go L16. All have removable caps that I know of. Although I think LFP is a better value.

In my travels the calcium-lead batteries are mostly sealed starting batteries with 5 to 8 year warranty.

You are probably getting gel or AGM. Those "technically" never lose water, except, sometimes they might if conditions are not favourable (high temp, too high charge rate etc). This can be hard to control depending on situation/equipment. Those are not really meant to have the caps removed. For stationary applications I always ensure to get flooded. Those will always have caps. I have some cheap motomaster batteries still going strong since 2015. I add water about once a year.

Back