diy solar

diy solar

Wife’s reaction to new battery bank

Same here, the wife works in the medical field and is super compassionate and trusting of people. I am an EE and extremely logical person with poor people skills. Our differences compliment each other and it has been a wonderful 30 years of marriage.
Boy can I relate! My wife is very social so lots of get togethers with me in tow. I couldn’t count the number of times at these parties when someone would ask what I did for a living. Tell them I’m a Systems Engineer and watch their eyes glaze over. Soon they need to go do something, anything. They just can’t relate. So I now tell them I drive a garbage truck. The conversation flows then. That they can relate. ?

But have you ever taken your wife to a gathering of fellow engineers? Truly in my element but she felt so lost because she couldn’t relate to my anyone there. She tells me she couldn’t understand most of our engineer conversations. So the shoe is on the other foot. Ah, we rarely go to engineer get togethers anymore. ?.

Tell them I’m a Systems Engineer and watch their eyes glaze over. So I now tell them I drive a garbage truck. The conversation flows then. That they can relate. ?
What is the REAL difference between a systems engineer and the driver of a garbage truck?
Both have to deal with a lot of crappy stuff from years ago that everyone would like to never see again.
I have spend years on migration projects...

What is the REAL difference between a systems engineer and the driver of a garbage truck?
Both have to deal with a lot of crappy stuff from years ago that everyone would like to never see again.
Awesome response and so true!

I was also a System Engineer for decades and I have dealt with my fair share of garbage.

How many times have you heard "Can't you just make it work without buying anything else?"

I hadn’t thought about it in those terms but you absolutely correct! Yeah, one has to tactfully wade though and sort all the “stuff” to find the valuable nuggets needed to implement while the other has to pick up and dispose of all the “stuff”. The result is happy people. I should try this on my boss.?

I have the same t-shirt, scarily a lot of the "ancient" stuff we deal with I installed when it was new! Of course the boss always assumes I remember all about it from xx years back and conveniently forgets about all the undocumented updates that have been done in the intervening period.

At least it pays the bills.

Boy can I relate! My wife is very social so lots of get togethers with me in tow. I couldn’t count the number of times at these parties when someone would ask what I did for a living. Tell them I’m a Systems Engineer and watch their eyes glaze over. Soon they need to go do something, anything. They just can’t relate. So I now tell them I drive a garbage truck. The conversation flows then. That they can relate. ?

But have you ever taken your wife to a gathering of fellow engineers? Truly in my element but she felt so lost because she couldn’t relate to my anyone there. She tells me she couldn’t understand most of our engineer conversations. So the shoe is on the other foot. Ah, we rarely go to engineer get togethers anymore. ?.
My engineer friends are mostly introverts;) I cannot remember when last any of them had a party or was interested in going to a party. We tend to get together for Movies and Pizza LOL. We had made big plans for "Top Gun 2" before the Virus hit and now that one is in limbo. My wife likes the guys but her eyes just glaze over once the tech talk starts. Its very interesting to hear her take on what she gets from our conversations. She say we talk in a different language and all she hears is acronyms going back and forth and only gets a few of them like ISP and the more common stuff. No worries I tell her because when she is talking to Doctors and Pharmacists all I get from the conversation is the disease topic and I have no idea what all the medical procedures and drug names mean and after 30 years I have stopped trying!

Garbage Truck :p I never thought of that one.
I did realize a couple when I was in my 30s that people had a weariness bordering on Dislike for people they assume are smarter than them. It made me realize that saying stuff like I work in IT makes them more comfortable than saying I am an EE. The only problem is that sometimes I end up in front of their computer trying to fix a software problem on their PC or Laptop :cautious:.

Back