diy solar

diy solar

Will a 220v split phase inverter supply 110v house current and 220v ac unit?

jbernal

Trying to figure out what I need for a household backup/offgrid setup. Everything in the house runs on 110v standard US current but the AC unit is 220v single phase. I'm not super knowledgeable about the split phase stuff but I understand how two 110s can be combined into a 220. BUT... where those are combined it seems like that entire system is now only 220 and you lost your 110? Or am I missing something and a split 220 is not the same as a single 220?
Ideally I'd like just one inverter but if I have to get 2 (one for 110, one for 220) then so be it.

A split phase inverter in the U.S. has 110V on one side, neutral, and 110V on the other side, just like how your house is panel is probably wired. You can power 110V items off either of the two split phase outputs (with neutral), or you have 220V between the two (without the neutral).

Ahhhhh, so that's how they would wire the 220v ac unit anyways? For some reason I thought the neutral was involved in the 220 circuit.

Yep, so 220V comes into you main panel, and you probably have two columns of 110V breakers. One column is connected to one of the two legs, and the other is tired to the second leg. All your 220V items (dryer, A/C, electric range / oven) pull from both legs.

Sometimes the neutral wire is used for things like the control circuit and smaller fans. If the A/C has 3 wires going to it (red, black, white) then it's using the 220v between the red and black for the power hungry compressor and condenser fan, and 110v between either the red OR the black and the white to run the controls and little stuff.

Last edited:
Back