diy solar

diy solar

Will new Video over current protection

Really fun test. Nice to hook up any battery in seconds and see what it's actually capable of.

I need to add some smaller resistors to fine tune the consumption to 100A increments

Kudos for actually doing it(although the focus was overcurrent protection not DC IR). I think no battery testing is complete without trying to pull serious current (1C or whatever the max rating is) and comparing actual voltage drop to the spec.

Doing that is a pretty reliable method to determine battery state of health. I hope this resistor array will be used in future videos too.

Ya know, my general feeling on the subject is that all batteries that don't already include built in fuses or breakers should have a fuse added. If paralleling 2 then a MRBF on the post and preferably a class T to the inverter.

If paralleling 3 or more a class T is better - the more in parallel the more it becomes required.

And if 3 batteries in parallel and they do not have a fuse/inverter built in and the cable is more than about a foot long it ought to have a class T at the bus bar end to prevent excess current in the cable.

Just my 2 cents.

So, here is a thought @Will Prowse - when you redo it add some additional switches and wiring do you can do series as well as parallel. With that you could control exact amount of amps verse doing only in steps. Configure for common maxes - 100amps, 200amps, etc.

Just a thought and a way for me to spend your time and money :)

I would be interested to see a short across the battery, the resulting peak current and BMS response time. This is a more realistic test of a system fault rather than a gradual increase of load on the battery. The test setup may need more than safety glasses!

I have it - contactors to engage the different resistors and a 10 position switch - so you can dial-a-resistance :) and to spend more of your money - buy 20 more of them - so 3 layers tall - contactors so you can turn on whatever sequence it takes to hit a particular resistance/amps :) Shouldn't damage them if you set things while the test battery is being disconnected - The $15 contactors should work for it :)

OK, I am a little out there are carried away, I admit it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back