diy solar

diy solar

Battery Backup & Serge Protection

MuscleBiplane

In Northern Nevada where we are there is a serious need for Serge-Jolt protection and running through a battery backup system. A generator or battery backup is too slow to switch over. We would like to see a battery system that we could run through continuously that could drop the power company linkage when necessary. Solar or grid charging would be fine but not desired as primary. Is there a system or video out there that addresses this topic? I know Will would have some ideas or solutions.

In Northern Nevada where we are there is a serious need for Serge-Jolt protection and running through a battery backup system. A generator or battery backup is too slow to switch over. We would like to see a battery system that we could run through continuously that could drop the power company linkage when necessary. Solar or grid charging would be fine but not desired as primary. Is there a system or video out there that addresses this topic? I know Will would have some ideas or solutions.
Many inverters do what you are asking about.

Look for ones that have an AC transfer switch and a battery charger. Something like the MultiPlus-II from Victron has all sorts of features for less than $1,500. You can back up your fridge, internet and most of the lights in your house with it.

1703861224096.png

Last edited:
I'm using my sungold tp6048 as a battery backup basically. I only have a single battery so runtime isn't long enough to power the house yet but it will run for 4 to 6 hours depending on what I'm running. The switch over time is fast enough going to the battery to not cause my ups's in the house to trip so that's pretty fast. Going back to ac is slower for some reason and it will cause the ups's to trip for a second.

Back