diy solar

diy solar

Will Prowse Blooper Reel anyone?

How many of you can say that , by one simple wrong connection , you tripped a 400kV power line robbing the electrical network of approx 200 MW of power ? At the time I was working for the power utility on SCADA systems and was I in deep pooh !
I can SAY anything... it wouldn't be true for me... I have TOTALRESPECT for HV linesmen... I do NOT want any part of that job!

My dad had a saying, electricity is an accident waiting to happen, don't give it a chance, don't be afraid of it but Always Respect it. After my first couple of zaps, I completely understood the wisdom of it. He started doing wiring in the 1930's. edit: felt I should add, my first 'zap' was young smart alec kid, just after my dad told me, then had another reminder... ;-)

I've been working in electronics since the 70s and I've ever made a mistake except once... er twice... ah hell who am I kidding...

I exploded a chunk off the end of my thumb while repairing a transmitter out of a radar system. 4KV lightning bolt... crack!

Hooked up an electrolytic capacitor backwards... in a guitar amplifier... was playing a test riff and kapow! Paper and smoke grenade.

I'm old enough to have forgotten the mistakes of my youth. When I was 17 I was in a hurry to go somewhere, hot day, dirty windshield, so I got out a garden hose. Crack! Thermal expansion, duh! I'll never make that mistake again. Forty years later... the water was halfway through it's arc when I realized... I pulled the hose aside but it was too late. The instant the water hit... crack! I dropped the hose and just walked around in little circles talking to myself... onemorebattery you idiot!... @#$%^&*()!.... sheesh what a *&^%$#@ moron! That is the stupidest thing I've ever done twice.

So there's just a few highlights from my blooper reel.

I've been working in electronics since the 70s and I've ever made a mistake except once... er twice... ah hell who am I kidding...

I exploded a chunk off the end of my thumb while repairing a transmitter out of a radar system. 4KV lightning bolt... crack!

Hooked up an electrolytic capacitor backwards... in a guitar amplifier... was playing a test riff and kapow! Paper and smoke grenade.

I'm old enough to have forgotten the mistakes of my youth. When I was 17 I was in a hurry to go somewhere, hot day, dirty windshield, so I got out a garden hose. Crack! Thermal expansion, duh! I'll never make that mistake again. Forty years later... the water was halfway through it's arc when I realized... I pulled the hose aside but it was too late. The instant the water hit... crack! I dropped the hose and just walked around in little circles talking to myself... onemorebattery you idiot!... @#$%^&*()!.... sheesh what a *&^%$#@ moron! That is the stupidest thing I've ever done twice.

I can surely relate to your experiences - remember the large speakers in the 60’s with the impedance matching transformers on the back ? Well, they explode very nicely when plugged into the 220v mains outlet.
Had my own chemical lab at home , stocked up with chemicals ‘acquired‘ from the school lab and loved to distill all kinds of liquids like pure water and acids - once made pure nitric acid and I watched this single drop forming at the tip of the Liebig condenser. My upper leg was unfortunately under the spout and the drop burnt a crater about 1mm deep and 10mm in dia in the flesh. Still have the scar to prove it.

Had my own chemical lab at home , stocked up with chemicals ‘acquired‘ from the school lab and loved to distill all kinds of liquids like pure water and acids - once made pure nitric acid and I watched this single drop forming at the tip of the Liebig condenser. My upper leg was unfortunately under the spout and the drop burnt a crater about 1mm deep and 10mm in dia in the flesh. Still have the scar to prove it.
Hah! Now that I can relate to. Used to work as a geochemist in an isotope lab. We would have to distill our own reagents to achieve the purity and concentrations needed to dissolve rocks samples, including nitric. That stuff scared the bejesus out of me.

Hah! Now that I can relate to. Used to work as a geochemist in an isotope lab. We would have to distill our own reagents to achieve the purity and concentrations needed to dissolve rocks samples, including nitric. That stuff scared the bejesus out of me.
Dhoman , this stuff was very potent and 100% pure. All I remember was this little cloud of gas coming off my leg - no pain , no blood , just a neatly cauterized wound. :unsure:

Guys , lovely to read about the s**t you got up to ! Please keep it coming.

Wow , heavy stuff. Amazing that we are o.k. and not glowing in the dark !

Guys , lovely to read about the s**t you got up to ! Please keep it coming.
Can you be tooo careful all the time? I wonder. I think there's something to be said for really connecting with your work in ways those "pocket protector" types might miss out on and not appreciate what you really learn from those moments. Fear teaches you stuff you'll never otherwise learn. And there's nothing like a few accidents here and there to really instill that respect.

Where do YOU live, THE SUN? And what kind of cars were they? I have never had a window crack... winter or summer...

Where do YOU live, THE SUN? And what kind of cars were they? I have never had a window crack... winter or summer...

Well that didn't take long. Even though my comment began by mocking Internet perfection fairy tales you couldn't resist the compulsion to chime in with yours? My perfection story is I've never been tone deaf in a bloopers thread.

Well that didn't take long. Even though my comment began by mocking Internet perfection fairy tales you couldn't resist the compulsion to chime in with yours? My perfection story is I've never been tone deaf in a bloopers thread.

Oh, I do not doubt it, just curious where to avoid to prevent this...

Personal experience. Yes, the garden hose on the hot windshield can result in a crack. Been there, done that, tried to blame someone else.

My auto shop instructor in high school had a saying that I'll have to paraphrase, "Don't touch those two leads. It'll make the water run down yer leg." I can honestly say that I've never made the water run down my leg. Plenty of other stupid stuff, like almost taking my thumb off using my drill press. That was only two weeks ago. Or the time I tried to trim my fingernail with a radial arm saw. Or...

Wow. Live and learn... I have heard hot water on a frozen windshield can crack, but I melt frost off every winter no cracks yet... I don’t think I have ever put cold water on a sun baked window... it makes sense it would crack... just never occurred to me.

I have always been a careful look before you leap kinda guy... boring, I’m sure. Grew up a farmer... big stuff squashes small things...

When I was in high school I mixed up a small batch of hydrochloric acid and put it in a plastic bottle with a nozzle. Not a spray nozzle. When my truck had frost on it I could run a bead of the acid along the top of the windshield to clear the frost. By the time it got to the bottom of the windshield it was diluted enough not to eat the paint. It looked cool to have a steaming windshield.

Back