diy solar

diy solar

Will splitting wires drop the volts and amps by half?

Brettw

12 460watt solar panels
51 voc
11.5 amps
Ran in 6s 2p
I need to stay under 450v for my LVX 6048. I have 2 of these units.

So my question is if I run 6 panels in series and then run 2 sets in parallel, then run 2 10awg wires to my set of LVX 6048's, then split those 2 wires into 4 wires at the PV disconnect, will it split the amps and volts back in half? Is it safe to do this?
My wire can handle the amps and volts I believe (correct me if I'm wrong). The LVX 6048 has a max 450v input. My problem is I'm trying save on wire because it is a 400ft run.
Hopefully this all makes sense.

When the 2 series strings are combined to produce the 6S2P array the voltage is not doubled, only the amperage is doubled to 23A on the 10 AWG wires. On the other end when you split the 2 wires back into 4 the voltage on each set still stays the same but each inverter only gets half the amperage. What you are proposing should work. Take care on all of the connections to make sure they are good with low resistance so both inverters get the same current.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the above is only true if the MPPT charge controllers in each of the inverters do not "fight" with each other. Also, the 400 foot run may require a larger wire. You should run a voltage drop calculation.

Last edited:
I don't think it is a good idea to combine the solar power and then connect the solar power to two inverters. Really need to pull separate wire from each series set (4 wires) and connect each set of panels to the separate inverters. No, there is no splitting of the power once it is combined.

Use the calculator to see if #12 or #14 will be sufficient if you want to save copper. Either will handle 12 amps... just a matter of acceptable voltage drop. At 300 volts it may not be as bad as you think.

When the 2 series strings are combined to produce the 6S2P array the voltage is not doubled, only the amperage is doubled to 23A on the 10 AWG wires. On the other end when you split the 2 wires back into 4 the voltage on each set still stays the same but each inverter only gets half the amperage. What you are proposing should work. Take care on all of the connections to make sure they are good with low resistance so both inverters get the same current.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the above is only true if the MPPT charge controllers in each of the inverters do not "fight" with each other. Also, the 400 foot run may require a larger wire. You should run a voltage drop calculation.
So if the amps only doubles to 23 amps and the volts stay at 306v then I would still be within specs of my inverter. 27 amps max for the inverter. That might just work and I'll just run 1 inverter for now. Thanks. The voltage drop calculation is 3.5% or just over 7% depending on amps I believe.

One other thought, if you could arrange one 6S string eastish and one westish, split the charging between morning and afternoon. You could start charging earlier with roughly half the amps and charge later also with half the amps.

12x 460W = 5520W
5520W / 58V charging = 95A charging

Theoretically you could charge twice as long at half the amps (and half the amps running 400ft).

Just a thought.
You could also do 4S eastish, 4S south and 4S westish.

One other thought, if you could arrange one 6S string eastish and one westish, split the charging between morning and afternoon. You could start charging earlier with roughly half the amps and charge later also with half the amps.

12x 460W = 5520W

Theoretically you could charge twice as long at half the amps (and half the amps running 400ft).

Just a thought.
I can't do east because of location. I have considered 1 set south and 1 set west, but after spending time on PVwatts website it seems I will get more overall power with everything facing south. Unfortunately I would need 2 more panels in my calculations to do both orientations and I seem to have problems getting companies to ship less than 10. I am going to do some checking and see if I can get just 2 panels tomorrow. If so then I could run 7s 2p and have 2 different orientations and still be within specs and lower my amps and voltage drop. We'll see!

12x 460W = 5520W

Just a thought.
I have a question that you might be able to answer.
If I had a 6s set of panels facing south, 460w/11.5 amps /51 VOC
Rated 42.4v 10.86 amps
Ran in parallel with a 6s set of panels facing west
240w/8.44 amps/ 37.2 VOC
Rated 30.2v 7.96 amps
Would this work without the lower wattage set dragging down the higher watt set?

Doesn’t each inverter have 2 charge controllers?

I would run 4 sets of PV wires minimum…

I have a question that you might be able to answer.
If I had a 6s set of panels facing south, 460w/11.5 amps /51 VOC
Rated 42.4v 10.86 amps
Ran in parallel with a 6s set of panels facing west
240w/8.44 amps/ 37.2 VOC
Rated 30.2v 7.96 amps
Would this work without the lower wattage set dragging down the higher watt set?
In theory, with 2 strings connected in parallel, the voltage would be limited to the lesser voltage of the strings.

So your paralleled output would be (30.2V x 6) = 181.2V.
Add the amps for both strings together and multiply by 181.2V to get your watts of production (theoretical of course).

So if string 1 is in full sun and producing 10A and the west string is partially producing (lets say 3A):

(10A + 3A) x 181.2V = 2355.6W

If you mixed 3 of each type of panels for each string in series, you'd get a higher voltage:
(42.4V x 3) + ((30.2V x 3) = 217.8V
Using same amps:
(10A + 3A) x 217.8V = 2831.4W

The wire run is 400ft
I think we are talking 10AWG...

Here is quick search 2 wire 10AWG 600V solar wire for $300 for 500ft.

I would run 4 sets of PV wires minimum…
So $600 for array wires (gotta burry i suppose) for 4 wires (as opposed to $300 for 2 wires). This would let you use both of your MPPTs (this is a nice feature!)

So $600 for array wires (gotta burry i suppose) for 4 wires (as opposed to $300 for 2 wires). This would let you use both of your MPPTs (this is a nice

So $600 for array wires (gotta burry i suppose) for 4 wires (as opposed to $300 for 2 wires). This would let you use both of your MPPTs (this is a nice feature!)
If I'm reading my features correctly https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1DjAmpMf9ijO_V0amyoP-y3pkWe1ibPV62zvKXrcW6D4/htmlview#
I only have 1 pv input per lvx6048. So at most I can only run 2 sets of wires down. I do plan on running 2 sets of wires down.
To get the most out of all my panels here is what I plan to do now.

6s 2p of 460w panels, 10awg run into 1 lvx 6048.
6s 240w 12awg run into the 2nd lvx 6048.
1 bonding wire for the panels.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything?

I only have 1 pv input per lvx6048.
From that doc its looks like just one MPPT. That's unfortunate.
6s 2p of 460w panels, 10awg run into 1 lvx 6048.
6s 240w 12awg run into the 2nd lvx 6048.
1 bonding wire for the panels.

Any thoughts? Am I missing anything
I'd consider running 10AWG for the second string just for future proofing. I did not check the wire size but i think that's been done a few times in earlier posts.

I would probably put in a grounding rod at the array and ground there as opposed to running 400ft grounding wire. Not my area of expertise, maybe someone knows better?

The array configs look good.

Back