diy solar

diy solar

Will the "Beginner Friendly All-in-One Solar Power System" trickle charge a Tesla? Help!

Based on the photos, do I have this set-up correctly?
Unless they look different not on a phone the conductors appear correct

But there’s too much bare wire exposed from the terminals for my liking.

GREEN is GROUND

I've purchased two more 12v 100ah AGM batteries.
Are the diagrams below correct to set up four in 2S2P for my 24v inverter?

1665531557266.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 12.47.54 PM.png

What I meant was which red or black wire do I use to make the series and/or parallel connection
AF189E5C-0B9F-4424-8F3C-F4CABFBA40B3.jpg
IMG_2132.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm not clear, but I was wondering (question) whether it matters which red or black wire I use in the diagram above.

-Shawn

The schematic you posted is fine. The color of the cables does not matter, the most important thing is to choose the right section (awg). You can wire all black and put a red wire between the + battery and the + AIO inverter.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 12.47.54 PM.png

My current set-up has my inverter (Growatt 3000 24v) connected to my two 12v 100ah AGM batteries.
My issue with the Growatt is that it drains my batteries overnight, even in "power save" mode.
So, I think it may be best to have a battery disconnect switch between the inverter and the batteries. Also, it would be helpful in case I need to work on the inverter without power coming in from the batteries.

Any suggestions on what I should use? Hopefully, I am explaining it correctly.

I don't advise you to use a switch to disconnect your batteries every night. A 3000W inverter should be pre-charged before connecting the battery, see Will's video below. On the other hand you can use the off button of your inverter, this does not disconnect the battery and should consume nothing.

Edit: oh yes you have AGM batteries so it's less important. With Lifepo4 batteries, without pre-charge it is possible to damage the BMS of the battery which can see the current draw as a short circuit and destroy its MOSFETs in the worst case. You can also damage the terminals of your batteries during the connection.

Last edited:
The schematic you posted is fine. The color of the cables does not matter, the most important thing is to choose the right section (awg). You can wire all black and put a red wire between the + battery and the + AIO inverter.

"
red wire between the + battery and the + AIO inverter."

Sorry for the newb question, but do you mean simply a red wire should run from the inverter into one of the batteries (as shown in the photo)? The same would be said for the black from the inverter to the battery bank.

2EF967A5-5511-4599-9D95-F3BC90A5532C.jpeg
I would use a red where red, black where highlighter black, and use tape on the ends of the series cables red and black accordingly. If it were me

As already said the color of the cables that you have circled in red do not matter. If you take a red, put black tape (or thermo sheath) on the - side. If you take a black put red tape (or thermo sheath) on the + side.

Look on the photo below, the + cable is black with red tips.

20230130_113007.jpg

My red circles: is that one red or black wire
One cable regardless of color. Marking the ends with colored heat-shrink if you make the cables or using quality electrical tape is perfectly acceptable. If you have a bunch of black cable as others stated: marking the terminal ends is fine.

I would be ok with all black cables but I’d never use red for a neg(-) connection, and probably 100% would make up your circled series cables from black.

Electrically it doesn’t matter but for safety and ease of service purposes that’s what I’d do.

As already said the color of the cables that you have circled in red do not matter. If you take a red, put black tape (or thermo sheath) on the - side. If you take a black put red tape (or thermo sheath) on the + side.

Look on the photo below, the + cable is black with red tips.

View attachment 132741
Thanks! I'm just concerned about fucking it all up that I was overthinking it. I appreciate your kind response.

Back