diy solar

diy solar

Will this work for a 12x40 workshop?

Miles

Hey all! I built a portable 750Wh solar kit using one of Will’s blueprints in 2020 and it’s been amazing. Used it to live and run my little office off grid for a year.

Now I’d like to build a larger system that could run a workshop or tiny home, including a small fridge/freezer and an EG4 12000BTU mini split.

I know I should answer this question myself by doing some calculations, but I’m just curious if the setup Will describes in this new video seems beefy enough for something like that, and how many kW of solar panels would I want?

EG4 14.3kWh battery
EG4 6.5kW inverter

Last edited:
Seems like it would work. The mini split is about 1,000 watts, and the battery can put out about 5kW. Might want to hook up the mini split directly to the battery.

So at the house I am building now, I have six 280 Watt panels, the LV/SP6548 equivalent of the eg4 6500 and 230ah/11kw of self built battery and it runs a one ton mini split and my tools very well.

Seems like it would work. The mini split is about 1,000 watts, and the battery can put out about 5kW. Might want to hook up the mini split directly to the battery.
Thank you @DIYrich! I like the idea of running the mini split directly from the battery, I bet that’s a lot more efficient.

So at the house I am building now, I have six 280 Watt panels, the LV/SP6548 equivalent of the eg4 6500 and 230ah/11kw of self built battery and it runs a one ton mini split and my tools very well.
Thanks @Quattrohead, that’s a helpful comparison! I’ll do some more research but this all sounds promising.

Oops, I think the minisplit requires 90+ volts. Easier to have inverter provide 120v ac.

RV Air conditioner if you want to run from battery?
Good to know! I’ll take a closer look at the specs. Just kinda brainstorming at the moment, I’m gonna have to save up a little for this project.

Back