diy solar

diy solar

Wind turbine no amps

Isle of wight

Hi. I have a 4 pannel solar systems and wanted to and some wind for the darker months. I have a hybrid controller (and dump load) and when its wired up i get volts but no amps. To make sure it wasnt the cable I ran a very short length from my EcoWorthy turbine ( all red wires) to the controller with a drill to turn the turbine but the same result. The Ecoworth controller is annoying as you cant fix a display it scrolls through and switches off rather than displaing all the time the thing you want to look at. All solar working fine showing both Volts and amps. Inverter working fine. Its just the amps missing. Any help would be appriciated.

so it seems to be working but no amps are displayed in the controller? Can you check the wires from the turbine to the controller while its working and see amps? I have no experience with a hybrid controller (I use a wind controller AND a MPPT controller together on the same battery bank) My wind controller does not display amps normally but I can throw a meter on the wires and read them directly.

Thanks for your reply. Yep thats the gist I get volts on the controller but not amps. I know the cable is good and the connections at either end are good. I do have a multi meter but with three cables all the same colour coming from the turbine I wasnt sure where to start and go about testing this. ie what cables to connect to and what setting on the MMeter

It's really gotta get cranking before you start making usable power. In the interim it will spin a lot and hunt wind but not make any usable power.

The volts have to be higher than the battery voltage for current to flow. Being that you are charging with solar as well, the solar is dominating your current flow. A turbine is virtually redundant while sunlight is shining.

Last edited:
Very Little data on what this model of wind turbine will actually produce. You may be seeing typical results. I got this from an Amazon review:

" Tonight was my first real test 50mph winds no dice 1.47 Amps @ 12v .... Horrible really this should be putting out maximum power at these conditions. DO NOT BUY ALL SMALL WIND TURBINES SEEM TO WORK THE SAME!

I have two of these one 400 Watt 12v and one 550 Watt 24v AC They both put out the same amount of amperage so the larger one puts out about double the amount of wattage but it was also a bit more expensive as well. We are talking wattage that is NO WHERE CLOSE! to what is advertised I normally hate to give bad reviews on things because of error but I've tested it very throughly I made an AC Plug and Split the lines then I purchased an AC line splitter tested the AC side. Purchased 2 Clamp Amp Meters Both Do DC/AC amp measurements the results are the same and final. What you are getting is essentially 36 watts of power max I have seen all night out of the 12v really sad they are selling us a product that does not even come close it generates over -1000% power at max. This type of product should be outlawed it is totally illegal in my book false advertisement and should be removed from any website I don't care if this thing is on the Empire State Building there is not a chance in heck that it will generate what it says! Total scam Ripoff the lab conditions to get this measurement must have been pretty odd because there is not a chance.

Is it any wonder why people don't go green more often when people are allowed to lie about ouput up to 1000% and they can legitimately get away with it I would have sent it back had I not busted the tail of it and had to make a new one during installation. But man tick me off there should be a law against such a thing really to prevent green energy from getting all the negative flack that it does solar while not as bad on the measurements likely about 28% less than advertised still not bad but lab test ratings are BS I've spent hours and hours logging data now manually.

Keep this all in mind do not be discouraged but be cautious and know that when you purchase wind turbines GO BIG or GO HOME!"

=========
I am interested in a wind turbine and am looking at a primus series of wind turbines. Very pricey though, and the turbine is only one of three or four components I would need to purchase. This puts it way past what I want to spend on a project. The company does have a good reputation and has been in business since 1995 and has 150k installations.

All of the less expensive wind turbines I've looked into buying don't seem to not work when I find honest reviews. In fact I've seen a few companies that stop selling their products, but the same looking turbine pops up for sale with a different company selling it.

Three wires coming from the turbine is AC feed, must go to a rectifier somewhere to convert to DC, unless it does that in the controller. I have a rectifier attached under my turbine alternator so my feed lines are DC and only two (pos and neg). So no amps in any of the feed wires? It would have to spin up to see any. I have had to adjust my solar feed to that bank to lower the boost and float to below the settings on the wind controller to prevent the dump load from engaging, as I cannot easily control it at the wind controller. You would need to use a clamp type amp meter to check the amperage in the feed wires when the turbine is spinning.

Attachments

• rectifier wiring detail.jpg
    rectifier wiring detail.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Very Little data on what this model of wind turbine will actually produce. You may be seeing typical results. I got this from an Amazon review:

" Tonight was my first real test 50mph winds no dice 1.47 Amps @ 12v .... Horrible really this should be putting out maximum power at these conditions. DO NOT BUY ALL SMALL WIND TURBINES SEEM TO WORK THE SAME!

I have two of these one 400 Watt 12v and one 550 Watt 24v AC They both put out the same amount of amperage so the larger one puts out about double the amount of wattage but it was also a bit more expensive as well. We are talking wattage that is NO WHERE CLOSE! to what is advertised I normally hate to give bad reviews on things because of error but I've tested it very throughly I made an AC Plug and Split the lines then I purchased an AC line splitter tested the AC side. Purchased 2 Clamp Amp Meters Both Do DC/AC amp measurements the results are the same and final. What you are getting is essentially 36 watts of power max I have seen all night out of the 12v really sad they are selling us a product that does not even come close it generates over -1000% power at max. This type of product should be outlawed it is totally illegal in my book false advertisement and should be removed from any website I don't care if this thing is on the Empire State Building there is not a chance in heck that it will generate what it says! Total scam Ripoff the lab conditions to get this measurement must have been pretty odd because there is not a chance.

Is it any wonder why people don't go green more often when people are allowed to lie about ouput up to 1000% and they can legitimately get away with it I would have sent it back had I not busted the tail of it and had to make a new one during installation. But man tick me off there should be a law against such a thing really to prevent green energy from getting all the negative flack that it does solar while not as bad on the measurements likely about 28% less than advertised still not bad but lab test ratings are BS I've spent hours and hours logging data now manually.

Keep this all in mind do not be discouraged but be cautious and know that when you purchase wind turbines GO BIG or GO HOME!"

=========
I am interested in a wind turbine and am looking at a primus series of wind turbines. Very pricey though, and the turbine is only one of three or four components I would need to purchase. This puts it way past what I want to spend on a project. The company does have a good reputation and has been in business since 1995 and has 150k installations.

All of the less expensive wind turbines I've looked into buying don't seem to not work when I find honest reviews. In fact I've seen a few companies that stop selling their products, but the same looking turbine pops up for sale with a different company selling it.
The good news is I kicked up a stink and they credited me. :)

It's really gotta get cranking before you start making usable power. In the interim it will spin a lot and hunt wind but not make any usable power.

The volts have to be higher than the battery voltage for current to flow. Being that you are charging with solar as well, the solar is dominating your current flow. A turbine is virtually redundant while sunlight is shining.
Thanks Ill have a bash tonight when no solar is coming in, after a little battery drain and see if i get anything with the drill on fastest speed.

What drill do you have? My 18v makita could only yield 4-5w.

Best results were seen during stormy weather at night, peaks between 180-220w

Last edited:
Back