diy solar

diy solar

Wire strand count

Grimmster

Do you prefer low or high strand counts, especially in larger wires (say, 8 AWG and larger)?

I just picked up some 6 AWG Southwire brand wire from H.D., 19 strands. I see some on Amazon that have 3200 strands. Quite a range.

It's details like this that I wish YouTubers would explain more.

From all my reading it sounds like fewer strands are easier to crimp and generally have better results. Also with the higher strand counts they tend to be tinned, which is not recommended for crimping. But for screw terminals, higher strand count is better.

Last edited:
Lower strands for anything in a stationary/fixed installation for me. Those hairy ones make me feel nauseous at the thought of how easy they get strays.

chuckle... funny that no one mentions if used for AC or DC.
AC uses Coarse Strand or solid copper.
Most people use "Welding Grade" wire for battery to inverter which is Very Fine Copper wire, Marine applications people use Tinned wire for obvious reasons.
Example, Southwires Royal Excelene Welding Cable: 1/0 has 1026 strands, 2/0 has 1254 strands, and 4/0 has 2052 strands.

You definitely don't want to try bending 19 strand, 4/0 cable by hand. I was trying to bend some 2/0 low strand count cable the other day. It just doesn't like bending. Not to mention the strain it puts on terminals if you rely on the nut and washer to get the final bend to flush up to the battery terminal.

It's details like this that I wish YouTubers would explain more.

From all my reading it sounds like fewer strands are easier to crimp and generally have better results. Also with the higher strand counts they tend to be tinned, which is not recommended for crimping. But for screw terminals, higher strand count is better.
As you note a lot of it has to do with the terminals you connect to. Also there is whether being flexible is a needed thing or not. This is why ferrules came into use whn using certain wire to terminal. When it comes to tinned wire (marine use) I have grown suspicious of the quality, especially that wire sold from China.

Plus which you also need to keep track of the insulation covering of the wire. There is quite the range.

I used some THNN 19 strand wire for my MPPT. Worked well there since the input size was limited. Bending it however was more than interesting and the topic of another thread.

I opted for marine grade wire for my conduit. While a little larger in diameter it is much more flexible.

This brings up a similar question for me. I’ve been reading the manual for my soon to arrive EG4 6000ex all-in-one so that I can connect the AC in from my main panel. The manual says this:

CAUTION! There are two sets of terminal blocks, one for input and the other for output. While the terminals are marked “IN” and “OUT”, double check to ensure wires throughout the system are connected and phased correctly. Use fine stranded 90C rated wiring of the correct type based on code requirements.​

I ordered some 8 AWG Romex and a double pole breaker from HomeDepot and now I’m wondering if it’s going to work for the input. The listing says “stranded” but doesn’t say “fine.”

Back