diy solar

diy solar

Wireways. Where to buy?

Some of those knockout punches need a 3/4" hole to start with. Basically requires an existing hole for a 1/2" conduit connector, or a step bit to create one.

I'm going to need to create some holes in 14 gauge carbon steel boxes. Was going to just go to town with the hole saw and hope for the best, but maybe I'll try a punch...

you can drill a hole for the smallest punch and use the punch to get the larger hole for the larger diameter punches. thats how I do it.
Same here. I used to use the step-bit to get to the pin size for the larger diameter punches but the step bit throws so much slag everywhere. Way too messy (and painful).

you can drill a hole for the smallest punch and use the punch to get the larger hole for the larger diameter punches. thats how I do it.
Step drill, followed by Temco TH0004 (they include a step drill which is nice).
Pricey, but worth every penny.

Same here. I used to use the step-bit to get to the pin size for the larger diameter punches but the step bit throws so much slag everywhere. Way too messy (and painful).
I keep telling myself, don't cut yourself, don't cut yourself.
Then you get into it and shards are flying and can't resist the urge to brush them off.
Dumb dumb, you cut yourself again.

Bought mine at Gordon. Here's a 6x6x60 with welded end caps which makes a nice finish versus a screw end cap:

$133.

I bought an 8x8x48 for my setup. No complaints.

View attachment 221883

Only weird things is that they sent it LTL truck on a pallet instead of by UPS or FedEx. It was free shipping, though I'm not sure that is the case now.

Mike C.
I bought mine at the same place and they sent it LTL also..

Nice gutter though.

I’ve got quite a few wireways on my setup. I really think they result in a super clean look when it’s done. See attached. I found Johnny Valentine of Gains Solar to be a great resource for wireways and how to use them. Here’s a link to his youtube video.

All About Wireways - Johnny Valentine

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0655.jpeg
    IMG_0655.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 17
I like the way you just butted the whole wireway against the inverter. I assume that doesn't meet code, nor meet the space around inverter requirements specified by the manufacturers.. but talk about a cool thing to do. :ROFLMAO:
I believe the rear heatsink portion doesn't begin until further up the inverter, I e. it's not dependent on air flow where it's touching the wireway.

I believe the rear heatsink portion doesn't begin until further up the inverter, I e. it's not dependent on air flow where it's touching the wireway.
Yeah, the rear heatsink on that NHX/Sungoldpower 10k starts up higher than that.

I know it wouldn't actually interfere with the airflow on that model, but if the manufacturer says to provide clearance of x around all 4 sides, and you block it with a raceway, is that still cool code / inspector wise?

1718411458619.png

Bought mine at Gordon. Here's a 6x6x60 with welded end caps which makes a nice finish versus a screw end cap:

$133.

I bought an 8x8x48 for my setup. No complaints.

View attachment 221883

Only weird things is that they sent it LTL truck on a pallet instead of by UPS or FedEx. It was free shipping, though I'm not sure that is the case now.

Mike C.
@mciholas
Can you describe how and what type of wire you use from flush mount panels to wireway? Pics would be awesome if you have any. I’m in a similar situation.

I like the way you just butted the whole wireway against the inverter. I assume that doesn't meet code, nor meet the space around inverter requirements specified by the manufacturers.. but talk about a cool thing to do. :ROFLMAO:
Can only speak to the Sol-Ark 15k.
If it was mounted like that it would overheat because the airflow is From Bottom to top.

Not sure about the one he has.

Is there a NEC requirement for stand-off between wire way and Equipment?

What code were you referencing in this post??

What code were you referencing in this post??

I was "assuming", you know how that goes.

In my follow up post I said "is that still cool code / inspector wise". I have no specific knowledge of a requirement in the NEC or fire codes (or whatever other god awful rule book might apply) to not butt raceway directly up against an inverter violating manufacturer spacing requirements in the manual.

I was asking and mentioning it, out of curiosity. I figured somebody here that knew would chime in, as they usually do, without being called out specifically.

I’m looking at a 8x8x12 gutter but the cheap ones I see online have some lid looking like thing. Anyone have better pictures? I’m in the planning stages of swapping out my outback skybox for a Midnite the one once there has been enough testing. I could really use the dedicated ac coupling and other smart loads so I can put a few 30a 240 heat pumps on backup as well.

diy solar

diy solar
Back