diy solar

diy solar

Wiring AC output to Growatt

Zero_PD

Hi,

I have a Growatt 48V 3kw and I of course need to wire up its AC Output. I've watched a bunch of Will's videos and in a couple he cuts a power strip and wires it up, with the disclaimer that because it's only rated for 15A/1800W make sure you're not pulling more than that. Of course my Growatt can source 3000W/25A, so I want to be able to source that much without frying anything.

Problem was I can't find a beefy power strip to simply buy and wire in. I've found some welding extension cords that are rated for 3kW, but then I would have only one single input, and I need to be able to plug in a few different things (and stay under 3kw, of course).

So right now I'm thinking I:
  • buy 8/3 cable
  • wire it up to the AC output
  • wire that up to 3 terminal bars
  • get 2x 15A power stripsand wire them up to the 3 terminal bars. And make sure not to plug more than 15A into each.
It seems a little convoluted though - I wonder there's an easier way of breaking out the AC output to a couple power strips, or finding a heavy duty power strip that can support 3kW.

Thanks!

Why not just wire the output to a sub panel, and then you can add whatever you want.

Did you ever find a solution?
I did. Many thanks to @FilterGuy for helping me out. While wiring it out to an AC panel is indeed an option, it was a little expensive for me, and potentially overkill for my needs. I chose to keep it (slightly) simpler and (likely) cheaper, and use 10/3 cable wired from my Growatt AC output, to a 32 amp switchbox, to two outlet receptacles held in a 2 gang box. Take a look at my diagram below at the "AC Out" portion.

physical star layout.drawio (4).png

I did. Many thanks to @FilterGuy for helping me out. While wiring it out to an AC panel is indeed an option, it was a little expensive for me, and potentially overkill for my needs. I chose to keep it (slightly) simpler and (likely) cheaper, and use 10/3 cable wired from my Growatt AC output, to a 32 amp switchbox, to two outlet receptacles held in a 2 gang box. Take a look at my diagram below at the "AC Out" portion.

View attachment 96476
Helps a lot! What if I wanted 2x gang boxes. One on each side?

Last edited:
Back