diy solar

diy solar

Wiring and disconnects

Mannfamilywoodworks

Solar Enthusiast
Hi I recently purchased some panels. I got 6 @ 235w each.

I’m planning on hooking them
All up in series and then hooking directly into my growatt 6000t inverter.

I’m going to include the specs for the panels and the specs for the inverter.

I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm that this is correct.

235x6=1,410w

The 6000t says it’ll handle 60-245vdc?
How do I calculate my vdc?

Also do I need any type of disconnect device between the inverter and pv array?
I’m at Home Depot looking at products and wire now.
I was going to use a 10 gauge stranded wire. Will this work?

Attachments

• 38F63D61-31B5-4D83-AF8A-F19EB7D0D2E4.png
    38F63D61-31B5-4D83-AF8A-F19EB7D0D2E4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Hi I recently purchased some panels. I got 6 @ 235w each.

I’m planning on hooking them
All up in series and then hooking directly into my growatt 6000t inverter.

I’m going to include the specs for the panels and the specs for the inverter.

I just wanted to know if anyone can confirm that this is correct.

235x6=1,410w

The 6000t says it’ll handle 60-245vdc?
How do I calculate my vdc?

Also do I need any type of disconnect device between the inverter and pv array?
I’m at Home Depot looking at products and wire now.
I was going to use a 10 gauge stranded wire. Will this work?
When you connect your panels together and series the voltage continues to climb as you add each one in so let’s say the voltage of each of your panels is 40 V that would be 40×6 would equal your actual voltage output. The voltage limit on your charge controller is the maximum amount of voltage that it can see before it starts to short out inside. This means that you must have your VOC see total less than the rating of the charge controller. Different solar panels have different VOC ratings. You need to get the specs for your solar panels to figure out if you can do them six in series. Another factor is that in extreme cold weather the VOC will be much higher. To give a definitive answer on whether 10 gauge wire is sufficient or not in your application depends on how the panels actually end up having to be wired. Just as a guess I would say 10 is probably going to be fine in your application but to prove it on paper it would require knowing how the panels are configured the distance from the panels to the charge controller, and the specifications of the solar panels themselves. I have used 240 V panels and if the specs of your panels are anything like mine you will end up needing to have three in series 3 parallel in order to not go to high on your VOC in cool weather.

I haven’t hooked anything up yet because I just need one person to say looks good enough to work temporarily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 13
Would the math be 37.23v x 6=223.38?

My inverter says the maximum is 250v?

Am I safe enough distance away from 250 with my almost 224v?

Only in the summer in New York. Your VOC is going to go way up on that string and exceed it when it gets cold outside.

Use this tool and ignore the Hyper VOC stuff, as you're not using midnite equipment. It will show you how much the VOC goes up by cold temperature though.

How cold does it get there?

Last edited:

The 224V is when the panels are 77F ( not the air temperature, the panel temperature )

There are online calculators that will do the math for you. I ran a quick one and use -20F for upstate NY winter temps and that says 260V

Also your going to get little for power flat on the shipping container at your latitude you need to be at least 45 degrees.

Since you said you were at Home Depot, I recommend the wire you get is rated for sunshine or direct burial or use in conduits.

I bought THHN for a project there and that is indoor building wire not rated to be left in the sun years on end.

If you can wait, the best choices I found was online at wireandcableyourway.com. One week or less shipping to Phoenix AZ the five times I ordered from there

The 224V is when the panels are 77F ( not the air temperature, the panel temperature )

There are online calculators that will do the math for you. I ran a quick one and use -20F for upstate NY winter temps and that says 260V

Also your going to get little for power flat on the shipping container at your latitude you need to be at least 45 degrees.
Thankyou for all of this information.
I’m going to mount them at a 45° angle now.
Easy enough.
Should I only hook 5 of these panels up in the event that it gets cold or should I disconnect one panel once it gets below 50°F outside?

Since you said you were at Home Depot, I recommend the wire you get is rated for sunshine or direct burial or use in conduits.

I bought THHN for a project there and that is indoor building wire not rated to be left in the sun years on end.

If you can wait, the best choices I found was online at wireandcableyourway.com. One week or less shipping to Phoenix AZ the five times I ordered from there
I put it in conduit! Thankyou

Should I only hook 5 of these panels up in the event that it gets cold or should I disconnect one panel once it gets below 50°F outside?
Every micro climate is different and we all have difference risk profiles. You probable have access to weather data that would tell you the likelyhood of -20F which was the point that @Solar Guppy said the voltage was an issue, not 50 F.

diy solar

diy solar
Back