diy solar

diy solar

Wiring from Growatt 3000w Inverter 48v system to breaker box

srshelton002

Ok so online it says I need 2/0 three stranded wire to run from my 3000w inverter to the breaker box. I am having a hard time finding such wire. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ok so online it says I need 2/0 three stranded wire

That does not sound right . I just checked the manual which states #8AWG be used or AC output from the Growatt 3000. #8 AWG THHN/THWN would work and and widely available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

You should only need that between the battery and the inverter:

AC out to the breaker box, something more like 8awg should be more than adequate.

So I have a growatt system that is all in one. I have 6 gauge wire between the batteries and the system is that not big enough? That is what was sold with the system and suggested by bigbattery.com

So I have a growatt system that is all in one. I have 6 gauge wire between the batteries and the system is that not big enough? That is what was sold with the system and suggested by bigbattery.com
6 awg pure copper rated for 105 Celsius is fine for the dc side.

I have the growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES inverter and it keeps triggering the breaker where I have the AC "IN" from the inverter to wall outlet (20 amp gfi)... ? I have no idea why, this is all new wiring, no batteries comnected. I do have my solar panels running with 140 volts coming into DC of same inverter which is not quite enough to turn it completely. I've triple checked all polarities and continuity. I was wondering if it has something to do with the programming of the Inverter itself, any ideas would be appreciated thanks

I have the growatt SPF 3000TL LVM-ES inverter and it keeps triggering the breaker where I have the AC "IN" from the inverter to wall outlet (20 amp gfi)

Most likely has something to do with the GFI. Would try connecting to a non GFI circuit to test.

Most likely has something to do with the GFI. Would try connecting to a non GFI circuit to test.
Solar Enthusiast, you are the electrical man! That was the issue, the GFI I beleive from the grid was grounding itself out with the solars independent Ground and breaker box. Thanks allot, I was banging my head wondering. The house I live in has GFI's all over every circuit in the house, hard to find a circuit without GFI to try but in the end it worked perfectly as you suggested.

Solar Enthusiast, you are the electrical man! That was the issue, the GFI I beleive from the grid was grounding itself out with the solars independent Ground and breaker box. Thanks allot, I was banging my head wondering. The house I live in has GFI's all over every circuit in the house, hard to find a circuit without GFI to try but in the end it worked perfectly as you suggested.
That is Unusual.
You only need one GFCI outlet to protect a whole string of outlets.
Also if the GFCI is tripping then its very likely that you have a problem with "the solars independent Ground and breaker box".

Correct on the 1 gfi per circuit, the previous owner of this house has GFIs all over the place. I had to install a new outlet directly from the grids main breaker box to get the AC IN working properly on the inverter. The grid breaker box has it's own grounding rod and is 100% independent from my PV, Inverters and additional breaker box. From the inverters I installed a breaker box complete with it's own grounding Rod out near my PV and combiner box. As you can see from the photo I'm pointing to the ground wire that runs directly from the PV breaker box to the ground 120' away with 8 way wire. The grounding Rod is 8' into the ground. The ground is shared with the Neutral on this breaker panel is it's a main breaker box and not a sub panel, everything look ok? Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210714_175048.jpg
    20210714_175048.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 26
Correct on the 1 gfi per circuit, the previous owner of this house has GFIs all over the place. I had to install a new outlet directly from the grids main breaker box to get the AC IN working properly on the inverter. The grid breaker box has it's own grounding rod and is 100% independent from my PV, Inverters and additional breaker box. From the inverters I installed a breaker box complete with it's own grounding Rod out near my PV and combiner box. As you can see from the photo I'm pointing to the ground wire that runs directly from the PV breaker box to the ground 120' away with 8 way wire. The grounding Rod is 8' into the ground. The ground is shared with the Neutral on this breaker panel is it's a main breaker box and not a sub panel, everything look ok? Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks
Most of the time any additional AC breaker boxes should use the main panels ground. Also ground should only be bonded to neutral in the main panel. If using a main panel as a subpanel, bonding strap-bar that bond neutral and ground should be removed.

I am not an electrician but neutral and ground should be bonded in one and only one place.
That place is the service entrance panel.
Have a look at these resources https://diysolarforum.com/search/440386/?q=grounding&t=resource&o=relevance

Cheap for life thanks, in my case I'm using the newly installed breaker box as another main (not sub-panel), this box will service an entirely new and seperate part of construction. In this case my ground should be independent and not connected or bonded to the Grids main breaker box? In other words I have 2 breaker boxes, one running from the grid with it's own ground and circuits. Additionally I have my PV array supplying current to the other main that has it's own set of circuits.

In the future I might connect them with someking of auto transfer switch but for now it's an independent system from the grid, other than the AC input from Grid to Inverters.

Back