diy solar

diy solar

Wiring help 5kw solar panels

David B.

Putting together the below system. Thought I had it figured out but, not positive on the 5kw solar panel wiring. Series or parallel? Nearest panel is 60ft from inverter, farthest panel is 110ft from inverter. In full sun from 8am til 5pm in central ga. Panels set at 28 degrees. I am concerned about charging the 13kwh battery using the full 120 Amps available. I can dedicate all solar to battery but if some watts are left over that would be great. Once battery is charged house will go full solar. Thanks in advance for advice on the solar panel wiring.
Solar panels
12-415w
Imp 13.13a
vmp 31.61v
isc 13.79a
voc 38.82
msv1000v
mono half cut
inverter
ip6048
6000w
360 nominal vdc
600 maximum vdc
120-550 vdc range
125-160 startup v
2*15a mpp voltage range
21a isc pv
DC charger in the inverter
48dc
Max discharge 150a
Max charging current 120a

Battery 48 volt 13kwh lifep04 100 amp discharge, discharge locked out at 20% charging locked out at 80% so daily charge 7kwh

I see now.
Ok, so at 550V max, you can wire them all in series.
In GA, cold isn’t a concern. Is shade any issue where they are mounted?
Keep in mind, if you connect this together in the sun, you will have DEADLY voltage in the wiring, so use proper PPE. Make sure EVERYTHING is shut off before connecting any wires…

OK, I have no shade but wiring in series states the amps stay the same as for 1 panel, that means I'll only get 13.13 amps to my charger.
That may be wrong and the part I don't understand. When the inverter reduces the voltage does the current amps increase? If so how many amps will I get to my charger on a sunny day? Thanks for helping me.

OK, I have no shade but wiring in series states the amps stay the same as for 1 panel, that means I'll only get 13.13 amps to my charger.
That may be wrong and the part I don't understand. When the inverter reduces the voltage does the current amps increase? If so how many amps will I get to my charger on a sunny day? Thanks for helping me.
Watts are what matter.
Yes, you only get 13.3 max amps, so your wire to the charger can be #14 or larger and still carry all the watts.

The charger converts the 500V at 13 ish amps to 48ish volts at 120ish amps… whatever the maximum charging amps the controller can provide.

It is The beauty of MPPT.

Putting together the below system. Thought I had it figured out but, not positive on the 5kw solar panel wiring. Series or parallel? Nearest panel is 60ft from inverter, farthest panel is 110ft from inverter. In full sun from 8am til 5pm in central ga. Panels set at 28 degrees. I am concerned about charging the 13kwh battery using the full 120 Amps available. I can dedicate all solar to battery but if some watts are left over that would be great. Once battery is charged house will go full solar. Thanks in advance for advice on the solar panel wiring.
Solar panels
12-415w
Imp 13.13a
vmp 31.61v
isc 13.79a
voc 38.82
msv1000v
mono half cut
inverter
ip6048
6000w
360 nominal vdc
600 maximum vdc
120-550 vdc range
125-160 startup v
2*15a mpp voltage range
21a isc pv
DC charger in the inverter
48dc
Max discharge 150a
Max charging current 120a

Battery 48 volt 13kwh lifep04 100 amp discharge, discharge locked out at 20% charging locked out at 80% so daily charge 7kwh
I have a similar system but running 15-330W panels. I wired 5 strings in 3 panel series then paralleled them through a combiner box with individual string fuses and a master breaker and (lightning arrestor) surge protector. That gets my voltage up to about 100V @15A max per string and lets me use standard 10AWG solar panel wire. With 12-415w panels I would wire 4 strings of 3-panel series then get a combiner box to parallel them through to your controller/charger/inverter. That would give you about 120V @ about 60A (7200w) of charging power in full sun. Theoretically, you could recharge your bank with one good hour of sunlight a day. Practically... you should be able to fully recharge your battery even on most overcast days and produce about 15kwh of surplus on a sunny day.

I have a similar system but running 15-330W panels. I wired 5 strings in 3 panel series then paralleled them through a combiner box with individual string fuses and a master breaker and (lightning arrestor) surge protector. That gets my voltage up to about 100V @15A max per string and lets me use standard 10AWG solar panel wire. With 12-415w panels I would wire 4 strings of 3-panel series then get a combiner box to parallel them through to your controller/charger/inverter. That would give you about 120V @ about 60A (7200w) of charging power in full sun. Theoretically, you could recharge your bank with one good hour of sunlight a day. Practically... you should be able to fully recharge your battery even on most overcast days and produce about 15kwh of surplus on a sunny day.
Thanks for the reply!

Back