diy solar

Wiring Shed panels to house - off grid

TinkerNJ

I have a small system:
  • Four 100W panels on my shed roof
  • 12V AGM battery
  • 30Amp MTTP controller
  • 500W pure sine wave inverter
What I would like to do is run a buried cable to my sub panel to power some circuits using an automatic transfer switch. Knowing that high voltage, low amperage is the way to go for long distance travel to keep wiring costs down, I want to keep the inverter in my shed and run a line off that to my house. I would like to use some 12/2 wire that I have left over from a prior project to run approximately 100' from shed to sub panel. This will power a few 15amp circuits that get use mostly for LED lights. Any suggestions? I'm definitely having some confusion with electrical conversions...I understand the basic Volt x amp=watts. I'm less clear about how these are applied. For instance how many amps can this inverter supply before shutting down? How much draw can I hook up to this wire from my shed? Is 12/2 copper thick enough for the roughly 100' run from shed to sub panel? Thank you.

500w inverter at 120vAC can supply 500w/120vAC=4.167a using the old W=VA. Not really a necessity to know if you know the watts of the loads you are attempting to power. But handy for calculating voltage drop.

Using the voltage drop calculator at Southwire https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop For a 100 foot run at 120v and 5 amps your voltage drop is 2.23% using 14 awg. 12 awg would be fine to use.

Any suggestions about running the 12/2 from the inverter? It only has posts for the input from the battery. Output is two 3 prong plugs. I suppose I could strip back and extension cord or something. Anything more "elegant" that you're aware of?

Back