diy solar

diy solar

Wiring up my generator plug for backup power. Wiring question.

Crowz

Solar Wizard
Anyone that has done the 50 amp plugs for their generator hookup, what wire did you go with? I was going to use the solid core ac wiring I had left over from my tp6048 install and I don't like the way it "feels" in the clamps on the plug. All of the pics Ive been able to find show multi strand wire used. I'm guessing this is standard on it? I prefer the solid core wire on breakers but the generator plug itself has a different kind of clamping system and it doesn't clamp as well with it.

I'll be heading to the hardware store tomorrow to get some multi strand 6 awg wire for it but I figured I'd see what everyone else did.

To get mine to pass code inspection I had to use a flexible wire to a NEMA-50 male head, then wire in a NEMA-50 socket in a wall box. Then I ran 10AWG Romex from the socket to a 30a breaker in my panel. Once I had the breaker tie down and interlock kit I was all signed off.

Code says it has to be a socket, I got dinged by having it hard wired. 10AWG romex in the walls is just fine from socket to breaker, but stranded is much easier to wiggle and flex for the generator-to-plug cable. I used 6AWG stranded because it was what was easiest to manhandle that they had in stock.

That's the plan if they have it. Won't know till I get there. I'm wanting 6/3 stranded to make it easy to get into the backside of the socket and grip in the sockets lugs.

None of the generator stuff will be inside the walls since all of the breaker boxes are outside. When they upgraded the wiring for the house they put all of the circuits in outside breaker boxes. I've never seen anything like it.

to run off your 50a socket you will need 2 chargers or one 220v charger

to run off your 50a socket you will need 2 chargers or one 220v charger
Its going to be connected to a 12kw generator to power the house when the grids down.

I'm not sure what your talking about.

Its :
Breaker box (sub panel that connects to my inverter) > 50a socket > generator

I took this pic right after buying the place and before we moved in. This shows how all of the breaker boxes are outside. I've got a pic somewhere that shows what it looks like without that large metal cover they made to hide the wires. There's a bunch behind that plate.

meterbox.jpg

I have used solid wire in plugs (for redneck power cords), but multi-strand often seats better. Some have a screw in the middle, and only splitting strands to both sides works. Most are intended for fine-stranded power cords.

If generator input to a breaker panel, recessed twist-loc plug is what I've seen. Those accept solid wire. But maybe 30A max?
Oh, here's 50A:

I've bought a number of cords with molded plugs. Mostly 30A dryer and 50A stove, but I just got one 60A welder cord. All those straight blade.
I also bought 20A 3-phase 208Y and 480Y cords. Mostly for temporary test setups.

That's meant for the purpose, and should support standard house wire but don't know about fine stranded.
I can't see clearly how terminals tighten, but seems to be a screw on the side, and with cover off box a screwdriver should it.

Closing a small box is difficult. I had a lot of trouble with 6 awg 3 + ground stranded romex in a double-gang box, especially because the 60A socket was bulky. I barely got it done, accessing cable clamp on other side of wall so I could slide the cable. Solid would have been even worse. If fine strand like their ground wire is allowed, easier to bend that.

The clamps are kind of strange. It's like a floating barrel of metal inside the hole with a screw that goes in the side of the barrel.

It did look like that, pinch by shearing action. Might be compatible with fine strand, see what documentation says.
I've seen so many ways people reinvent the wheel in designing plugs.

Like with any, wiggle and rotate to settle and tighten some more. Don't want a loose connection heating up.

Well I dragged my feet on this and sure enough the power went out today. Hot as heck and no warning.

Sooo I stopped drilling holes in the concrete footers for the newest solar rack that arrived and proceeded to finish the generator plug install.

Took about an hour and had it all wired up. Decided I would install the interlock too since I had the panel face off.

After getting everything put back together I'm walking to the workshop to roll out the generator and guess what happened.....

The power came back on :(

Well at least the jobs done now when its needed next time :)

Oh I ended up using the solid core wire I had and it worked great in the weird connectors on the generator plug.

I need to get the electric mower wiring job done soon so it can run stuff when the power goes out like it did and its cloudy.

Well that and I need to get around to getting normal real batteries too.

Whew! I was trying to figure out why anyone would use welding wire in an outlet. :LOL:
After what I have run into lately around here it wouldn't surprise me if the previous owners had of done that. They used the bare copper wires for neutral in one of the boxes and the insulated white wire as ground.

I started a thread here that explains it better :

Back