diy solar

diy solar

Working with 8s modules

pvakh

Hi,

While I have significant technical background, I am somewhat new to energy storage systems:). I recently acquired several batteries that consist of 3x8s modules.
1689004156911.png

I can somewhat easily break down those batteries into 2x8s modules, but it would be better of course to keep them intact.
The goal is to use those batteries for off-grid system.

The question is - what equipment I can use to charge the batteries and what inverters can work with this voltage?

If I break them into individual modules, and make 2x8s - it gives me 59.2V. Can I use 48V MMPT/inverters for them?

Thank you for your help,
Peter

While you may find a one-off inverter to run on that voltage, and be able to kludge together a charging solution, your selection of both pieces of hardware will be vastly increased by going 16s.
Or 15s.
If I break them into individual modules, and make 2x8s - it gives me 59.2V. Can I use 48V MMPT/inverters for them?

This is what I would do.
PS. You don't want to use lithium ion inside your house. Fire hazard.

While you may find a one-off inverter to run on that voltage, and be able to kludge together a charging solution, your selection of both pieces of hardware will be vastly increased by going 16s.
Or 15s.

This is what I would do.
PS. You don't want to use lithium ion inside your house. Fire hazard.
Hi Tom,
Thank you for reply. It looks like breaking it apart into 16s gives me way more choices. But can I use 48V chargers/inverters (e.g. EG4 6500EX-48) with 16S modules?

And yes, I am building a small dedicated shed to store batteries separately of everything.

Peter

Hi Tom,
Thank you for reply. It looks like breaking it apart into 16s gives me way more choices. But can I use 48V chargers/inverters (e.g. EG4 6500EX-48) with 16S modules?

And yes, I am building a small dedicated shed to store batteries separately of everything.

Peter

Check the spec sheets of the hardware you're considering and see if they will operate at 64 volts or better. That's why I suggested perhaps 15s.

Hey @pvakh! What solution did you end up finding? And how are they holding up? I am thinking about doing the same thing right now, but I haven't bought the cells yet.

Back