diy solar

diy solar

World's least expensive 12V freeze protected battery???

I'd bet money that it is garbage on the inside. I'll have to rip one open. That is dirt cheap.
I have had a couple for a few months. They are working great, but I think that the advertised low temp protection BS. I caught my batteries charging one cold morning around freezing and I had to disconnect my panels, which I do every night now during the winter just to be safe.

OK, and your thoughts on them? Maybe a better stated question would be, Has anyone EVALUATED or tore into them to see if they are worth the $ yet?
I was In the middle of testing them, but an unrelated, more urgent problem came up.
I charged them up with an older, supposedly Lithium compatible charger. Not 100% sure, but I think the BMS blocked current once 13.44 volts was achieved on one, and 13.31 on the other. These voltages held after rest. I was hoping to see the BMS go into balance mode.

My Solar charger is programmable, so I’ll be able to properly test according to their specifications when I get some time. Based on draining one partially (although with a low C rate - 3 amps), my guess is it’ll easily hit 100aH before shutdown.

I have had a couple for a few months. They are working great, but I think that the advertised low temp protection BS. I caught my batteries charging one cold morning around freezing and I had to disconnect my panels, which I do every night now during the winter just to be safe.
Did you actually test the temperature of the battery? Internally, it may still have been above freezing, and they claim a sliding scale of current allowed from - 10C to 0C. I think one would have to keep it below freezing for several hours to get it cold enough due to thermal mass.

I have a low temperature shutoff on my solar charger, but not on my RV converter/charger, so was hoping the battery shutoff actually works OK In case I’m plugged in.

Did you actually test the temperature of the battery? Internally, it may still have been above freezing, and they claim a sliding scale of current allowed from - 10C to 0C. I think one would have to keep it below freezing for several hours to get it cold enough due to thermal mass.

I have a low temperature shutoff on my solar charger, but not on my RV converter/charger, so was hoping the battery shutoff actually works OK In case I’m plugged in.
No, I didn't test the temp. I'm off grid and I don't run heat at night so they definitely have time to freeze. Maybe I'm just being too cautious and it's actually working, but I don't think so. Hopefully Will can tear one of these down in the future to see if it's garbage or not. Honestly, I just purchased these batteries because of the low price point with the claimed low temp protection.

You disconnect solar panels during the night ?

You disconnect solar panels during the night ?
Yeah, so they are not connected and start charging when the sun rises in the morning just in case the low temp protection is not working. I start my heater in the morning and wait a couple of hours for the batteries to warm up before reconnecting the panels.

Yeah, so they are not connected and start charging when the sun rises in the morning just in case the low temp protection is not working. I start my heater in the morning and wait a couple of hours for the batteries to warm up before reconnecting the panels.
I would be cautious about plugging them in after a few hours. You really need an actual temperature of the battery cell to know if it is safe to charge. Thermal mass works both ways. If you place a gallon of water in your car the thermal mass prevents it from freezing for many hours in the 20s and a few hours in the teens but once it is frozen it takes many hours to thaw. I know that the thermal mass of a lifepo4 battery is less than that of water but most batteries have insulating qualities that will increase the time required to freeze them and the time to “thaw” them, greatly complicating the determination of when it is safe to charge them. An accurate measurement of the cell temperature of the battery is the only way to be sure it is safe to charge. I would recommend taping some sort of thermometer on the side of the battery. You probably are not getting anywhere near 32 on the outside of the battery much less the inside (usually protected by 2 or 3 layers of plastic and air spaces) but If it takes 6 hours to get the inside of the battery to 32 degrees it may take nearly as long to get it above that temperature. I would want to know. One other factor to consider is that the efficiency of lifepo4 is not 100 percent so if the batteries are being discharged the heat produced by this process will help to keep the batteries warm and charging will also help to warm them.

World's least expensive low temp battery is buying a ton of chins packs and using a victron solar charge controller w/ battery sense and adding it yourself.

The cost increase for each individual battery makes it expensive fast. Especially for a decent sized solar battery. Better off adding it yourself to the whole bank.

World's least expensive low temp battery is buying a ton of chins packs and using a victron solar charge controller w/ battery sense and adding it yourself.

The cost increase for each individual battery makes it expensive fast. Especially for a decent sized solar battery. Better off adding it yourself to the whole bank.
But still doesn't account for other charging sources, only solar. Converter and alternator can still fry the batteries.

A quick update - I charged with my solar with an approximately 0.1C rate(10-11 amps. It looked like it went into balance mode, It was hitting above 14V then the BMS (I assume) shut the current off(well, maybe a milliamp or two). After resting the battery, it was at about 13.8V(3.45 per cell.) so I’m calling it good, for now.

The world's cheapest battery is made with the world's cheapest parts. No thanks.

Well, it's here. Waiting on parts and fuses to commence charging. Want to get an idea of capacity before final install. Hoping Will's review will come out so I can determine if I need to be concerned with low temps or not. Yes, not quite brave enough to plunk it in the freezer. Seems to be about 27lbs.

Meanwhile, picked up a sweet new Victron Smart Shunt for capacity test.

I couldn't find anything in the description of a warranty. I posed this question but didn't hear anything. I know a warranty probably isn't worth much but still. Anyone know?

Warranty question on the same battery without USB side port was answered as 5 years warranty and technical support, so I asssume it’s the same. Of course, it’s not a vendor like Battleborn, who will for sure be still operating in 5 years.

”You pay your money and you take your chances”

Thanks! I missed that.

”You pay your money and you take your chances”
We have an Airstream Bambi I'm upgrading to lithium. I ordinarily would pay for higher/more reputable quality (Battleborn) but we plan to upgrade to a bigger Airstream in the next couple of years, so not sure I want to invest that much. My other choice the HQST battery is $70 more and a 2-year warranty but then again if they are tied to Renology probably more reputable. I like the SOK as recommended by Will but then have to decide on a $400 difference when we only use the trailer during the summer maybe 30 days. Anyways, I digress.

Thanks! I missed that.

We have an Airstream Bambi I'm upgrading to lithium. I ordinarily would pay for higher/more reputable quality (Battleborn) but we plan to upgrade to a bigger Airstream in the next couple of years, so not sure I want to invest that much. My other choice the HQST battery is $70 more and a 2-year warranty but then again if they are tied to Renology probably more reputable. I like the SOK as recommended by Will but then have to decide on a $400 difference when we only use the trailer during the summer maybe 30 days. Anyways, I digress.
I view Renogy as an outfit that markets and rebrands Chinese products well, including user friendly manuals. if you read reviews from those that have problems, however, their customer service is lacking to non-existent. I’m cheap, so I usually put up with EPEVER vs Victron, Chinese batteries vs. Battleborn, for example, and suffer with Chinglish manuals. Renogy can sometimes make sense; sometimes not. That’s my opinion and mode of operation, but I do spend some significant time researching, then testing when I first get something so I can return it early if necessary rather than waiting and going through the warranty process.

We have a great resource here with Will who does In depth reviews of many solar products, including batteries. I would have gotten a low cost one he blessed if it was not for desiring cold temperature charging shutdown at a reasonable price. That’s only just now starting to happen.

EDIT- update -
1. After charging properly with solar, full charge for the two in parallel was achieved with a 14.5 volt absorb and 13.8 float. (I’ve since adjusted the float down a bit),
2. Charging freeze protect IS working. Low was 25F last night. The BMS did not allow current until the ambient temperature wrmed up to 38F or more. Even then, it only allowed about 1 amp, ramping to 7 or 8 amps as ambient climbed further. This is as the vendor describes, if we adjust for actual internal temperature. (The temperature Inside the battery will not warm up as fast as ambient due to thermal mass, so it was probably closer to freezing inside the battery when charging began.)

Back