diy solar

diy solar

Worth upgrading 115V Pump to 220V to help balance Split Phase?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
Long story not so long, I didn't weatherized my Flotec Shallow Well Jet Pump correctly this winter and the body case broke ? after freezing.

The existing pump is 115V and 1/2HP, pulling about 10 FLA. The pump was already making some weird sounds so it is time to replace it, despite having found the case for about only $80. My panel is split phase and this pump is connected to one side of the panel.

My question is, after reading about unbalanced loads in split-phase systems: should I consider buying a replacement 220V pump instead of the 115V and adding a new 220V panel to the house? I suspect this would help with unbalanced loads in the panel but I do not know if worth the work.

How critical is to have the loads balanced and would this extra work be beneficial to my system? Right now I run a split phase Kohler 12kW generator and a lot of times I only have this single pump running on the system. Pretty soon I will add a Growatt split phase inverter and EG4 batteries. I don't know if the split phase unbalance is more critical on generator or inverters...

Any feedback is welcome.

The 220v pump will draw half of the amps and half of the start up surge. A definite benefit for the inverter.
The current wiring is already good for switching to 220v. As long as it doesn't also feed something else that will still require 120v.

The 220v pump will draw half of the amps and half of the start up surge. A definite benefit for the inverter.
The current wiring is already good for switching to 220v. As long as it doesn't also feed something else that will still require 120v.
Great, glad to hear that. A new Flotec pump for the application actually comes with 115/230V switch and you are correct, 10A x 5A - I understand the current drop as voltage goes up, but isn't the total power consumption the same in the end?

Currently the pump is wired to a breaker in the split phase panel. I suspect I need to somehow tap on the L1 & L2 on the split phase panel and add a separate new 220V panel? I am not sure exactly how to achieve this, despite having a vague idea what needs to happen.

Do you happen to actually know how to wire the new pump as 220V? I will need a 220v subpanel, won't I?

Look for a pump that is Permanent Split Capacitor type. Normally this is a "two wire pump". This type motor normally had less starting amps then a motor with a switched start capacitor.
This is already way beyond my paycheck and I am locked with the application which requires a built-in pressure sensor to work with the existing pressure tank and blah blah blah...

I understand there are ways to improve and make it better but right now my wife will kill me if she has to use another bottle of water to wash the dishes! I need a simple solution that I can implement on my own and looking to source another pump that will work with the application sounds too much for me right now. And Flotec only has one pump catalog for this application...

This is already way beyond my paycheck and I am locked with the application which requires a built-in pressure sensor to work with the existing pressure tank and blah blah blah...

I understand there are ways to improve and make it better but right now my wife will kill me if she has to use another bottle of water to wash the dishes! I need a simple solution that I can implement on my own and looking to source another pump that will work with the application sounds too much for me right now. And Flotec only has one pump catalog for this application...
Pretty simple. Go to Tractor Supply and pick one up. Cut off switch. Submerged, the pump won't freeze. Just saying.

Great, glad to hear that. A new Flotec pump for the application actually comes with 115/230V switch and you are correct, 10A x 5A - I understand the current drop as voltage goes up, but isn't the total power consumption the same in the end?

Currently the pump is wired to a breaker in the split phase panel. I suspect I need to somehow tap on the L1 & L2 on the split phase panel and add a separate new 220V panel? I am not sure exactly how to achieve this, despite having a vague idea what needs to happen.

Do you happen to actually know how to wire the new pump as 220V? I will need a 220v subpanel, won't I?
Assuming you have a standard US panel you should only have to make room for a 240V breaker to contact both sides of the buss bar.

Not sure what your current electrical system looks like. But, your current split phase panel provides 120v and 240v. Just remove the hot wire from the single pole breaker, and the neutral wire from the neutral bar. Then connect both wires to a double pole breaker.
What do you have at the pump end of the wiring?
A sub panel, or a junction box?

Assuming you have a standard US panel you should only have to make room for a 240V breaker to contact both sides of the buss bar.
Wait, what?!

I could have a 240V breaker inside my existing split phase panel? :oops::oops:

I'll try to post a photo of the panel, I believe it is standard US.

Not sure what your current electrical system looks like. But, your current split phase panel provides 120v and 240v. Just remove the hot wire from the single pole breaker, and the neutral wire from the neutral bar. Then connect both wires to a double pole breaker.
What do you have at the pump end of the wiring?
A sub panel, or a junction box?
I don't fully visualize how this works, I am looking for pictures of the panel.

And right now, the 115V pump is simply wired to breaker #19 on the panel. Left side of the split phase panel. I took the time to label all breakers.

I am afraid these photos won't help too much... I can't even make sense out of them.

Could someone tell me whether I should be able to add a 240V breaker in this panel?

Electrical Panel_01.jpg

Electrical Panel_02.jpg

Wait, what?!

I could have a 240V breaker inside my existing split phase panel? :oops::oops:

I'll try to post a photo of the panel, I believe it is standard US.
Yup, each side of the panel is fed with 120 from your main service... You'd pull the neutral for the existing pump and use it along with the existing black to feed the new 240v pump.

Question:
Why are you only using every other space, currently?
I don't know exactly why but the short answer is: the previous cabin owner built it like that.

I suspect he wanted space between the breakers? Maybe he was anal about the wiring spacing? I have no idea.

Yup, each side of the panel is fed with 120 from your main service... You'd pull the neutral for the existing pump and use it along with the existing black to feed the new 240v pump.
Stupid question: will I be replacing the existing breaker #19 with a new 240V breaker OR will I be adding a new breaker to ANOTHER location on the panel?

Please believe me, I learn as I go. But this will be my first time touching anything inside this panel.

I am afraid these photos won't help too
I am afraid these photos won't help too much... I can't even make sense out of them.

Could someone tell me whether I should be able to add a 240V breaker in this panel?

View attachment 94190

View attachment 94191

much... I can't even make sense out of them.

View attachment 94190

View attachment 94191
What gauge wire is feeding that panel? Is that neutral brown from heat or dust /dirt?

Stupid question: will I be replacing the existing breaker #19 with a new 240V breaker OR will I be adding a new breaker to ANOTHER location on the panel?

Please believe me, I learn as I go. But this will be my first time touching anything inside this panel.
You'd be replacing it with a double pole breaker. Make sure it is the correct breaker for your brand of panel, label on the door should tell you the type you need.

Back