diy solar

diy solar

Would/should you charge battery with inverter

AlbaCORPS

So, instead of a an actually charger, is it feasible to charge new (LFP) batteries using an inverters SCC. The inverter wouldn't be under load or an any AC/DC out. Just PV in & the battery/batteries hooked up.

Charging batteries with a solar charge controller is quite normal so is your question more about the initial charge of new batteries?

You may be able to use the PV portion of the all-in-one depending on your batteries. What type are they? How many and in what arrangement will they be in? What are their current voltage levels?

rmaddy - Yes the intial charge, EG4 lifepo 48V. Ultimately, it will be 6p. As for current voltage state, that info isn't available (yet to arrive)

Assuming the batteries arrive with some useful charge, I think it would be fine to charge each one full, one at a time, using solar. You can connect the first battery, configure the all-in-one appropriately for the battery type, connect the solar, and let the battery charge. Disconnect the solar, disconnect the first battery, connect the second battery, reconnect the solar, charge the battery full. Repeat for the remaining batteries. Once all 6 are full, disconnect the solar, disconnect the last battery, wire up the 6 batteries in parallel, hook up the all-in-one, hook up the solar one last time, and enjoy.

The above would be best if the 6 batteries are all at different SOC when you get them. If they are all really close to the same SOC, then you could probably just hook them all up in parallel right from the start, hook up and configure the all-in-one, then hook up the solar, and start charging.

Last edited:
Charging them as stated, was the plan. I was a bit leery about doing it, being new to this & re-re thinking most of my options & remedies.
Sometimes, I have to not remind myself "Don't over think yourself into a problem that doesn't exist yet"....?

Assuming the batteries arrive with some useful charge, I think it would be fine to charge each one full, one at a time, using solar. You can connect the first battery, configure the all-in-one appropriately for the battery type, connect the solar, and let the battery charge. Disconnect the solar, disconnect the first battery, connect the second battery, reconnect the solar, charge the battery full. Repeat for the remaining batteries. One all 6 are full, disconnect the solar, disconnect the last battery, wire up the 6 batteries in parallel, hook up the all-in-one, hook up the solar one last time, and enjoy.

The above would be best if the 6 batteries are all at different SOC when you get them. If they are all really close to the same SOC, then you could probably just hook them all up in parallel right from the start, hook up and configure the all-in-one, then hook up the solar, and start charging.
Thank you, by the way

Back