diy solar

diy solar

Writing a pros and cons guide to DIY solar installation - have anything to add?

Karin Kloosterman

Hi everyone,

I am the editor of an eco news site and I am writing a story about the pros and cons of installing your own solar panel system. I'd be happy to hear from anyone about their experiences on this forum. It is really meant for someone walking into the idea before diving deeply... I have a 200 acre property in Canada and have thought about going solar and selling the extra energy to the grid. That's when I am dreaming because a friend of mine fried a couple of systems already... gong the DIY way...

Is this a reasonable assessment I've written below or is anything not fitting what you've experienced? (The story contains no promotional links to any companies, it just links internally to a story on an NGO from Africa). I have no business relationship to any of the links inside:

Feel free to email me... karin@greenprophet.com

Ouch, that post in the Greenprophet is attached to FacePox. No comment on that thread.

I'm near "The Algonquin" 45 Mins from Petawawa.
100% Offgrid Solar, grid power 1km away, and no way Hydro One was getting $55K ! solar cost less than 1/2 and 100% independence and no Hostage Fees. THAT FEELS GOOD IMO ! Several lessons learned, designed to be simple-simple to operate as my Heart (GF) will be left to run everything herself and she's no techie. IMO should not have to be either. Some have a "need to complicate and be overly elaborate, sadly, as you have seen for yourself per your article. NO Need to do that....

My build is slightly different, designed & built for the purpose. Hyper insulated self-designed & self-built home, right down to making my own cabinetry, mouldings and trims, using mostly locally harvested & processed lumber. It is Bush Country after all and so many small independent mills and a heap load cheaper than Big Box "retail". I started with a Virgin Forest property in a protected enclave. LOTS of Red, White Pine and Cedar finishing in & out. Even the outside is Live Edge White Cedar.

I would be happy to consult with you and assist in this article if you wish. In particular, there are certain "Canadian-isms" that could be addressed but that would not serve the greater global population directly. We have folks here from Australia to Zambia literally and more folks from far & wide joining daily. AMAZING REALLY ! The interest is growing exponentially.

A couple of niggly points in your article.
Grid Connected solar systems can cost an additional 35% above and beyond the cost of hardware & installation with permitting fees, inspections and more. Additionally, that does not encompass any structural repair or remediation required prior to installation on a residence. Structures must be sound and capable of handling the added loading potentials. Even worse, is that many regions are rolling back FIT (Feed In Tariffs) rates or now adding additional fees or grid connection charges. see what that "Ford" pulled, over the summer in Ontario. Since 2014 rates in some areas are up 75% after the latest increases for the Privatised Company kicking in Jan or Feb 2021. not talking about the cottagers, they really got the royal shaft with up to 125% increases.

I must underline, that Insurance Companies have their own stipulations if you want insurance coverage, no one mentions this and many people learn the hard way. To be perfectly blunt, some Insurance Companies are criminal in their "manner" as they just don't want to have anything to with anything outside of their legacy comfort zone. Some are more reasonable and accepting of RE systems. Virtually all of them want some form of certification, inspection, validation. So IF you want to have full insurance coverage, that must be considered. I know one fellow who had to rip everything down and start over - 80 Panels on a Barn. Talk about "Blue Air" being vented ! All because of an RE Ignorant Inspector, of which there are MANY, most cannot even wrap their brains around DC Systems. Fortunately, that is changing, albeit slowly.

In closing, having watched things get seriously stupid over the years and then finally starting to finally correct to "normal" I cannot suggest nor recommend being Grid Connected for Feed In Tariffs, especially here.. Sell your power for 7¢ and have to buy back at 11¢ ~smack ~ talk about hitting ROI (return on investment). Using the Grid as "Backup" to charge batteries on Low Sun Days while you can generate, store & use solar/battery during good production periods without drawing from grid is best. This methodology is also used by folks shifting TOU Rates, by charging their batteries at night at low rate times for use during daytime peek use rate periods. That adds up to big coin saved !

Please feel free to send me a Private Message (start conversation) button under my name if you highlight the "avatar".

Have a Great Day
Steve

Very nice writing style and I applaud your looking for input!

...earn attractive 30% federal tax rebates....
It's 26% in 2020 and in 2021 (when your readers read it), it'll be down to 22% in the states.

...And it can increase the resale value...
Zillow reports Solar generally increases resale value... but for that to be true of a DIY system it must be permitted and look professionally maintained. California requires solar on new homes.

5. Install and connect the solar inverter and battery
Batteries are only needed for where backup is required, to just reduce power bills or reduce greenhouse gases batteries are not needed. In fact, batteries tend to kill the economics of solar and most would be better off with a generator for backup power.

...A frame cabin in the woods? ...
Bet you take some grief calling that an "A frame" ?

...Finn realized that he had not cycled through the batteries correctly before the winter and his entire system was fried... twice...
That can happen with a professionally installed system too. Batteries are a huge cost of the system and while the batteries might be cheap or low-end, the charging/maintenance/monitoring on them should always be quality.

...Risks of electrocution, damaging home, falling from heights...
Easily mitigated by hiring professionals to do any part of something the DIYer isn't comfortable with. For example, they can run all the wires and conduit, but hire an electrician to do the actual connection to anything "live".

Knowing where to install...
Shade's an important factor too. Again, free tools like NREL's SAM will solve those problems.

Poorer quality PV panels....
There are differences between panels, but the differences aren't as great as you think (unless you're comparing flexible to rigid panels). That said, there are some really low-quality panels that will break down with UV, but as long as folks stick with one of the top 15 or so names they won't have much issues. Mostly the differences are cost, for example if you get panels not rated for high wind loads and you live in HVHZ then the panel strength issue is resolved by adding an additional rail. Some Panels (e.g. the Pansonic HIT) have good characteristics for hotter climates, but it's usually not large enough to warrant the extra cost (SAM has most panels and can run economic analyses for your conditions).

..If you have high or erratic energy needs ... calls for a more complex electrical system...
Generally you just need "more", the complexity is about the same. You also don't have to piece-part systems anymore, vendors like Sol-Arc have what's known as "all-in-ones", making even large systems pretty simple.

...Need to know some engineering... / Paperwork
It's a lot more than power. How close to roof zone 3 can you get, how much lift at this tilt angle will be applied to the roof, does the conduit need to be elevated off the roof, what length of screw should be used as a fastener, etc. Fortunately, there are online companies that will provide a lot of the engineering for the DIYer and get them all the paperwork they need to get a permit.

...If you buy the DIY solar panel solution, you will limit your ability to connect to the electricity grid company near you...
Net metering depends on location. In most U.S. states there's no DIY restriction, once approved by the utility (or county inspection or whoever the authority is) you can get the PTO. Of course, in most states net metering is constantly under attack and might go away.

Other stuff
  1. There's also a middle ground between some DIY and some professional installation, or getting a professional installation and appending to it DIY.
  2. Thank you for having the #1 item "design your system based on your energy needs", this is the most often spotted problem on the forum. Also, the title says 5 steps, but 7 are listed.
  3. Solar power varies greatly over the course of the year due to seasonal changes. Some times not as you'd expect. For example my panels are flat so you'd think my highest output would be at the height of summer...but we have summer storms so that's not the case. NREL has a free tool (SAM) that can take those factors into consideration.
  4. In the 5 (7) steps, there's also a permitting process typically run by the county via building permits. This is a great step where available as it's a cheap review to make sure DIYers aren't making dangerous mistakes (e.g., wrong gauge wire, exceeding the 120% rule, insufficient support). As Steve said above, this is also generally required for insurance.
  5. No mention of "used" solar panels. I bought new for my project, but have since learned on the forums you can save big dollars getting used panels. This isn't as crazy as it sounds, a panel looses a couple % it's first year and then 0.3 to 0.6% per year after that. Even at 25 years they don't die, they just output a little less power. So, it you can get a two year old panel at 50% the price, you can afford a lot more panels and they'll last a long time.
  6. PROs - there's often state or local incentives in addition to Federal incentives. For example in Florida, there's no state sales tax on solar gear.

Last edited:
Very nice writing style and I applaud your looking for input!

It's 26% in 2020 and in 2021 (when your readers read it), it'll be down to 22% in the states.

Zillow reports Solar generally increases resale value... but for that to be true of a DIY system it must be permitted and look professionally maintained. California requires solar on new homes.

Batteries are only needed for where backup is required, to just reduce power bills or reduce greenhouse gases batteries are not needed. In fact, batteries tend to kill the economics of solar and most would be better off with a generator for backup power.

Bet you take some grief calling that an "A frame" ?

That can happen with a professionally installed system too. Batteries are a huge cost of the system and while the batteries might be cheap or low-end, the charging/maintenance/monitoring on them should always be quality.

Easily mitigated by hiring professionals to do any part of something the DIYer isn't comfortable with. For example, they can run all the wires and conduit, but hire an electrician to do the actual connection to anything "live".

Shade's an important factor too. Again, free tools like NREL's SAM will solve those problems.

There are differences between panels, but the differences aren't as great as you think (unless you're comparing flexible to rigid panels). That said, there are some really low-quality panels that will break down with UV, but as long as folks stick with one of the top 15 or so names they won't have much issues. Mostly the differences are cost, for example if you get panels not rated for high wind loads and you live in HVHZ then the panel strength issue is resolved by adding an additional rail. Some Panels (e.g. the Pansonic HIT) have good characteristics for hotter climates, but it's usually not large enough to warrant the extra cost (SAM has most panels and can run economic analyses for your conditions).

Generally you just need "more", the complexity is about the same. You also don't have to piece-part systems anymore, vendors like Sol-Arc have what's known as "all-in-ones", making even large systems pretty simple.

It's a lot more than power. How close to roof zone 3 can you get, how much lift at this tilt angle will be applied to the roof, does the conduit need to be elevated off the roof, what length of screw should be used as a fastener, etc. Fortunately, there are online companies that will provide a lot of the engineering for the DIYer and get them all the paperwork they need to get a permit.

Net metering depends on location. In most U.S. states there's no DIY restriction, once approved by the utility (or county inspection or whoever the authority is) you can get the PTO. Of course, in most states net metering is constantly under attack and might go away.

Other stuff
  1. There's also a middle ground between some DIY and some professional installation, or getting a professional installation and appending to it DIY.
  2. Thank you for having the #1 item "design your system based on your energy needs", this is the most often spotted problem on the forum. Also, the title says 5 steps, but 7 are listed.
  3. Solar power varies greatly over the course of the year due to seasonal changes. Some times not as you'd expect. For example my panels are flat so you'd think my highest output would be at the height of summer...but we have summer storms so that's not the case. NREL has a free tool (SAM) that can take those factors into consideration.
  4. In the 5 (7) steps, there's also a permitting process typically run by the county via building permits. This is a great step where available as it's a cheap review to make sure DIYers aren't making dangerous mistakes (e.g., wrong gauge wire, exceeding the 120% rule, insufficient support). As Steve said above, this is also generally required for insurance.
  5. No mention of "used" solar panels. I bought new for my project, but have since learned on the forums you can save big dollars getting used panels. This isn't as crazy as it sounds, a panel looses a couple % it's first year and then 0.3 to 0.6% per year after that. Even at 25 years they don't die, they just output a little less power. So, it you can get a two year old panel at 50% the price, you can afford a lot more panels and they'll last a long time.
  6. PROs - there's often state or local incentives in addition to Federal incentives. For example in Florida, there's no state sales tax on solar gear.
Wow. Great breakdown and answer. Can I include some of your replies in my article? And thanks for pointing out the typo... I can add a link to your forum along with your name, profession, where you live. Can you email me or if you like we can keep it all here: I am karin@greenprophet.com

Ouch, that post in the Greenprophet is attached to FacePox. No comment on that thread.

I'm near "The Algonquin" 45 Mins from Petawawa.
100% Offgrid Solar, grid power 1km away, and no way Hydro One was getting $55K ! solar cost less than 1/2 and 100% independence and no Hostage Fees. THAT FEELS GOOD IMO ! Several lessons learned, designed to be simple-simple to operate as my Heart (GF) will be left to run everything herself and she's no techie. IMO should not have to be either. Some have a "need to complicate and be overly elaborate, sadly, as you have seen for yourself per your article. NO Need to do that....

My build is slightly different, designed & built for the purpose. Hyper insulated self-designed & self-built home, right down to making my own cabinetry, mouldings and trims, using mostly locally harvested & processed lumber. It is Bush Country after all and so many small independent mills and a heap load cheaper than Big Box "retail". I started with a Virgin Forest property in a protected enclave. LOTS of Red, White Pine and Cedar finishing in & out. Even the outside is Live Edge White Cedar.

I would be happy to consult with you and assist in this article if you wish. In particular, there are certain "Canadian-isms" that could be addressed but that would not serve the greater global population directly. We have folks here from Australia to Zambia literally and more folks from far & wide joining daily. AMAZING REALLY ! The interest is growing exponentially.

A couple of niggly points in your article.
Grid Connected solar systems can cost an additional 35% above and beyond the cost of hardware & installation with permitting fees, inspections and more. Additionally, that does not encompass any structural repair or remediation required prior to installation on a residence. Structures must be sound and capable of handling the added loading potentials. Even worse, is that many regions are rolling back FIT (Feed In Tariffs) rates or now adding additional fees or grid connection charges. see what that "Ford" pulled, over the summer in Ontario. Since 2014 rates in some areas are up 75% after the latest increases for the Privatised Company kicking in Jan or Feb 2021. not talking about the cottagers, they really got the royal shaft with up to 125% increases.

I must underline, that Insurance Companies have their own stipulations if you want insurance coverage, no one mentions this and many people learn the hard way. To be perfectly blunt, some Insurance Companies are criminal in their "manner" as they just don't want to have anything to with anything outside of their legacy comfort zone. Some are more reasonable and accepting of RE systems. Virtually all of them want some form of certification, inspection, validation. So IF you want to have full insurance coverage, that must be considered. I know one fellow who had to rip everything down and start over - 80 Panels on a Barn. Talk about "Blue Air" being vented ! All because of an RE Ignorant Inspector, of which there are MANY, most cannot even wrap their brains around DC Systems. Fortunately, that is changing, albeit slowly.

In closing, having watched things get seriously stupid over the years and then finally starting to finally correct to "normal" I cannot suggest nor recommend being Grid Connected for Feed In Tariffs, especially here.. Sell your power for 7¢ and have to buy back at 11¢ ~smack ~ talk about hitting ROI (return on investment). Using the Grid as "Backup" to charge batteries on Low Sun Days while you can generate, store & use solar/battery during good production periods without drawing from grid is best. This methodology is also used by folks shifting TOU Rates, by charging their batteries at night at low rate times for use during daytime peek use rate periods. That adds up to big coin saved !

Please feel free to send me a Private Message (start conversation) button under my name if you highlight the "avatar".

Have a Great Day
Steve
I feel you replied like you are talking to a friend which is the best way to offer advice. I had to look up FacePox. LOL. You are funny. I used to just use "Facepox" to promote my articles and when I saw the aunties and cousins loved seeing pictures and videos of my kids I started getting more personal. So yeah, it's connected to my site and it doesn't bring in an enormous amount of traffic. Can I use your real name in the article? My property is in Nipissing, Ontario and we are connected to Hydro, the last on the old logging road near the Granite Hill Road. That place has a lot of history if you read about it. My friends believe that solar is better energy energetically and that's why I was thinking about it. More like a dream right now, more practical for when I live there more days of the year...

Karin, I'm informal & casual.
I retired and formal went with it ! and some other reasons too which alter ones perspective.
Too funny, we are on the opposite ends of The Algonquin... Long Drive hahaha...
I consider myself a "Character" and likely, most would agree here, LOL. Puts a few off-kilter though. Better to expect the unexpected.
You're in Good Country up there ! "too close to Urban Containment zones for my liking" though... some areas up there are getting a tad saturated with Urbanites bringing urbanity to the bush. Being up there, you felt Fords playing with Hydro One costs if you were classed the wrong way... Boy, some seasonal owners got royally ... U know.

As Svetz pointed out, with current All-In-Ones for Tier-1 & Tier-2 Manufacturers have really stepped up to provide "clean installation" systems and for us, having CSA Certification for Insurance & Grid connected is a must. They can just be UL or ETL certified. Consider that with Solar Controller, Inverter & Charger in one single unit (they are modular internally for repairability) that eliminates a lot of "stuff" in between. And as he suggested, there is no reason someone cannot do a lot of the "heavy lifting" and have an electrician do the final hookup & ESA certification. Much more common than many realize. BTW, Lots of Solar up here, everywhere and increasing fast. In 2019 there were 18 power failures, some that lasted in mid-winter... tolerance for it is vanishing FAST. This year from what I heard has not been much better. All I know I half power when others didn't and it was easy to "spot" who had solar + battery.

Now, to the point on your future setup.
If I was you with the land & space, don't go with a roof install.
Just a Bad Option unless you have a 12:12 Pitch roof, seriously, I mean look at that foot of snow on there !
Who is gonna clear that mess off ? Nature is the only brave one to do so.
4 Position Ground Mount is the most cost-efficient that will provide the most solar generation. That will let you change the angle for the seasons, to keep production up. From 20 degrees in Mid Winter to 68 degrees for Mid Summer is a wide range to capture. Or a Fixed Ground mount at 45 Degrees (happens to be a 12:12 pitch roof ;-) think new Garage or Yard Utility building for tractor, blower etc... purpose-built structure.

Batteries are still an anchor but it is changing and will drastically shifting in costs. Several now Battery Factories are going up and going online in EU 2021 & 2022, some of these are specializing in just Energy Storage cells. Also a couple of Lithium Recycling facilities specifically designed for recovery & extraction for reprocessing. In the US, there are 4 plants for recycling in the works, one next to Tesla in Nevada is partly running already and hit a wall, they underestimated the amount they could handle, so already planning top grow it out. As well LG, Panasonic and a couple of others are looking to have Battery Factories running 2022 and beyond. Canada well there's a twist, have you heard about the East Coast ? Well Lo & Behold huge deposits of Lithium, Rare Earths and of course all that Nickel, "Lights Went ON Full !" haha... dang Screech slows the thinking process ;-) A low-carbon future means a big demand for key minerals. Can N.L.'s mines cash in? | CBC News Here we go.... I imagine things will further rev up around Subdury and region due to the minerals under your feet.

Have a Marvelous Day, just beware of the Jackalopes, they're mean this season.
Steve

Wow. Great breakdown and answer. Can I include some of your replies in my article? And thanks for pointing out the typo....
Glad it's of some use! Feel free to use anything I wrote, just be aware I'm not a solar professional.
If you need anything else just let us know.

... I can add a link to your forum ...
Will would probably appreciate that. He means for the forums to be a "learning" site where there's less hype and real help. There are a ton of smart people who participate, and don't hesitate to share their real-life experiences.

If your readers are invested in solar energy and want more there's a gold mine of information in the forums... although it would take some sifting to turn any given topic into a concise piece (some people, like me, tend to be a bit wordy and posts tend to get distrac... oh shiney... ;-).

along with your name, profession, where you live...
I'm not anyone important, not a solar professional, and I didn't even DIY my solar PV system. I learned everything I could because it was a big investment and I wanted to make sure it was A) done right, B) peace of mind, C) expansion plans. I didn't do it myself as the plan was to get a really small system "professionally" done, then expand it (easier to copy and add-on). Plus I'm not as young as I used to be. Where I live and my system details/adventure are here. If I had to do it over again and didn't get any older, I totally DIY. Anything I wasn't sure about I'd just ask the members (Q: Hey guys, how do old farts get thirty 50 lb panels up two stories and not go into traction? A: Pros use a ladder lift, but for $20 make a little plywood carrier that slides up your ladder, two stiles on the side to act as guides/holders and an upwards rail on the bottom and you're done. Q: how can you tell if you have a microfracture? A: Use an IR imager, Q: What do I do about all the jackalopes?). Heck, I even ask dishwasher questions on the forums, you never know what will turn into an adventure. See what I mean about rambling? ;-)

... Well Lo & Behold huge deposits of Lithium, Rare Earths and of course all that Nickel, ... A low-carbon future means a big demand for key minerals. Can N.L.'s mines cash in? | CBC News
I wouldn't get hung up on that. Technology is adapting to use resources we do have, for example Tesla announce back on Battery Day a new lithium extraction process. As Steve indirectly brought up with Nickle mining, labor force (particularly child) exploitation is a bigger issue, who wants a low-cost battery propped up by suffering?

Last edited:
@svetz You earn an endless supply of :
thor%20beer.gif

This about your dream, not the article....
... I have a 200 acre property in Canada and have thought about going solar and selling the extra energy to the grid. That's when I am dreaming because a friend of mine fried a couple of systems already... gong the DIY way...
The answer is YES, you can DIY. But don't go that way if you're not comfortable working on a roof, with electricity, can't haul heavy loads, or know how to bend conduit. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It's a lot of work, takes a lot of research, and can be very frustrating. Or if you're good with some parts and not others work with a local installer about a partial DIY system.

There's no shame in not going DIY either, that supports your community at the cost of a longer payback period.

Compare the economics. Get quotes. You might find that a DIY with a mistake fudge-factor added into the costs is more than the Tesla installed price. Plus you get a warranty that has someone come out and fix anything that goes wrong.

First things first
Do an energy audit (see link in signature). If you're doing microinverters this might not be as important as they're easy to scale up. But the last thing you want to is plunk down five grand for inverter and find out in six months that it's 500 watts too small and you need to fork lift it. Planning ahead is essential with string inverters.

Positive PayBack Period
Even if you don't DIY, grid-tied PV solar generally does have a positive pay-back period. See, what should I pay for solar. NREL's SAM program is free and although complicated to use at first (watch the tutorial videos) a super tool for running the economics to see what really makes sense.

Just because they have a positive payback period doesn't mean they're the best investment. That's tough to figure out as it depends on what electricity prices do versus your alternative investment strategy. For some people, being greener is enough to offset any delta at any price.

Batteries Blow
Batteries are expensive. Don't get them unless you must. But, ensure you have an option to add them later for when prices do eventually fall as they're great to have. Batteries can easily eliminate any payback period.

You Don't need a Battery
There's are very few reasons to have a battery. Batteries are required for being off-grid. They might be economical if you have high TOU rates.

For emergency power, you're generally better served with a small generator, particularly if you can get natural gas (no need to haul fuel) and they don't turn the gas off (e.g., I've heard they turn off the natural gas during earthquakes in California, but not for hurricanes in Florida).

Batteries are really for being off-grid or if you expect to have long duration outages where the fuel prices outweigh the battery prices. The only way to know if they're worth while is to crunch the economic numbers and see.

If you still think you have to have batteries anyway, get everything else installed and working and live with it for 6 months. Then come back and re-evaluate what you need in the way of batteries. With the system experience, you'll have a lot better idea.

Minimize Batteries
Right, so still couldn't convince you to not get batteries? I hear you, the generator noise will keep you up (see generator noise suppression). Figure out what the smallest you can get away with. You'll see people talk about three days reserve minimum, forget that. Look for a hybrid generator/battery combination that works for you (e.g., 1 or 2 day reserve, use the generator on day 3/4...n as needed).

Simplicity
An All-In-One (e.g., Sol-Arc, Skybox) makes things really simple as they're pre-engineered. Definitely worth looking into for a beginner.

Last edited:
Karin, I'm informal & casual.
I retired and formal went with it ! and some other reasons too which alter ones perspective.
Too funny, we are on the opposite ends of The Algonquin... Long Drive hahaha...
I consider myself a "Character" and likely, most would agree here, LOL. Puts a few off-kilter though. Better to expect the unexpected.
You're in Good Country up there ! "too close to Urban Containment zones for my liking" though... some areas up there are getting a tad saturated with Urbanites bringing urbanity to the bush. Being up there, you felt Fords playing with Hydro One costs if you were classed the wrong way... Boy, some seasonal owners got royally ... U know.

As Svetz pointed out, with current All-In-Ones for Tier-1 & Tier-2 Manufacturers have really stepped up to provide "clean installation" systems and for us, having CSA Certification for Insurance & Grid connected is a must. They can just be UL or ETL certified. Consider that with Solar Controller, Inverter & Charger in one single unit (they are modular internally for repairability) that eliminates a lot of "stuff" in between. And as he suggested, there is no reason someone cannot do a lot of the "heavy lifting" and have an electrician do the final hookup & ESA certification. Much more common than many realize. BTW, Lots of Solar up here, everywhere and increasing fast. In 2019 there were 18 power failures, some that lasted in mid-winter... tolerance for it is vanishing FAST. This year from what I heard has not been much better. All I know I half power when others didn't and it was easy to "spot" who had solar + battery.

Now, to the point on your future setup.
If I was you with the land & space, don't go with a roof install.
Just a Bad Option unless you have a 12:12 Pitch roof, seriously, I mean look at that foot of snow on there !
Who is gonna clear that mess off ? Nature is the only brave one to do so.
4 Position Ground Mount is the most cost-efficient that will provide the most solar generation. That will let you change the angle for the seasons, to keep production up. From 20 degrees in Mid Winter to 68 degrees for Mid Summer is a wide range to capture. Or a Fixed Ground mount at 45 Degrees (happens to be a 12:12 pitch roof ;-) think new Garage or Yard Utility building for tractor, blower etc... purpose-built structure.

Batteries are still an anchor but it is changing and will drastically shifting in costs. Several now Battery Factories are going up and going online in EU 2021 & 2022, some of these are specializing in just Energy Storage cells. Also a couple of Lithium Recycling facilities specifically designed for recovery & extraction for reprocessing. In the US, there are 4 plants for recycling in the works, one next to Tesla in Nevada is partly running already and hit a wall, they underestimated the amount they could handle, so already planning top grow it out. As well LG, Panasonic and a couple of others are looking to have Battery Factories running 2022 and beyond. Canada well there's a twist, have you heard about the East Coast ? Well Lo & Behold huge deposits of Lithium, Rare Earths and of course all that Nickel, "Lights Went ON Full !" haha... dang Screech slows the thinking process ;-) A low-carbon future means a big demand for key minerals. Can N.L.'s mines cash in? | CBC News Here we go.... I imagine things will further rev up around Subdury and region due to the minerals under your feet.

Have a Marvelous Day, just beware of the Jackalopes, they're mean this season.
Steve
Steve –– you are hilarious. Maybe I am one of the dreaded urbanites? To be fair –– I spent summers up in the Hinterland all my life...I feel they are my people, all of them. What about moose rubbing up against panels installed on the ground? Ever hear of that? And yeah I do remember from my parents those falls and summers and one winter without power up north. My dad bought a generator for that reason. He lost all his frozen meat LOL.

Glad it's of some use! Feel free to use anything I wrote, just be aware I'm not a solar professional.
If you need anything else just let us know.

Will would probably appreciate that. He means for the forums to be a "learning" site where there's less hype and real help. There are a ton of smart people who participate, and don't hesitate to share their real-life experiences.

If your readers are invested in solar energy and want more there's a gold mine of information in the forums... although it would take some sifting to turn any given topic into a concise piece (some people, like me, tend to be a bit wordy and posts tend to get distrac... oh shiney... ;-).

I'm not anyone important, not a solar professional, and I didn't even DIY my solar PV system. I learned everything I could because it was a big investment and I wanted to make sure it was A) done right, B) peace of mind, C) expansion plans. I didn't do it myself as the plan was to get a really small system "professionally" done, then expand it (easier to copy and add-on). Plus I'm not as young as I used to be. Where I live and my system details/adventure are here. If I had to do it over again and didn't get any older, I totally DIY. Anything I wasn't sure about I'd just ask the members (Q: Hey guys, how do old farts get thirty 50 lb panels up two stories and not go into traction? A: Pros use a ladder lift, but for $20 make a little plywood carrier that slides up your ladder, two stiles on the side to act as guides/holders and an upwards rail on the bottom and you're done. Q: how can you tell if you have a microfracture? A: Use an IR imager, Q: What do I do about all the jackalopes?). Heck, I even ask dishwasher questions on the forums, you never know what will turn into an adventure. See what I mean about rambling? ;-)

I wouldn't get hung up on that. Technology is adapting to use resources we do have, for example Tesla announce back on Battery Day a new lithium extraction process. As Steve indirectly brought up with Nickle mining, labor force (particularly child) exploitation is a bigger issue, who wants a low-cost battery propped up by suffering?

I am motivated to install a system just for all this camaraderie. What a group! Will absorb all these amazing insights and distill into my article.

There are Urbanites and then there are Citiots. A Huge distinction between the two, no one likes or barely tolerate Citiots.
Aan I have actually seen the sandal footed Makeup & Scent covered bimbette with Raid Spray can spraying the air in the Parking lot at Foodtown !
I THOUGHT IT WAS A MIME or PRANK Video being made but NO ! She hated bugs !

Citiot wears perfumes and or heavily scented whatever and cannot fathom why all manner of bug smell Supper !
Dump the scented laundry soaps and perfumes that have flowery smells and all that nonsense and use unscented and guess what, bug leave ya alone... Imagine that ! Not having a Blinking Neon "FREE FOOD" sign "emanating" over you in the bush.... facepalm citiots...

The Moose leave my spot alone, they won't cross the special fencing. Although there is this buck who comes and stares occasionally, comes out of the side of the lake area. The deer leave everything alone, I do have chipmunks that like to slide down the side from the top of the sea can... on my panels I swear they are laughing when doing it... Cheeky buggers.

I must say this because some would be really wondering.
None of the critters here have fear of me. The deer don't run away and even let their fawns play at the side garden, even when I'm out there. If anyone else pops up though, critters all vanish. They are used to me and know I will not bother them. The moose come to see but stay at distance. I have a Black Bear Sow who had a cub this spring, she brought baby over to introduce it AND to let me know she had a cub, so beware. She is very good and really only comes to get the berries and always keeps her distance. I have huge patches of all sorts of wildberries. Now that my neighbour down the road can't come and pick anymore, I guess I will have to do something, I am so going to miss the jams & jellies. Nothing like fresh home made wild berry treats. I had to have this place fenced off because there are free range cattle and a few wood bison and I cannot have them on here. The cattle & bison are NOT people acclimated only their humans can get anywhere near them and that is with effort.

Your only a few hours of furtling down the road, site visits are always possible ;-)

I do have the ground mount setup so the bottom panel is at 3-1/2 up off the ground, so it's fine for critter management, snow clearing and weed whacking (with extreme caution) / grass cutting

Back