diy solar

diy solar

Xantrex Freedom 458 direct replacement - Newbie Questions

liamlunchtray

Hello - I recently purchased a 2011 Born Free Class C RV with a Xantrex Freedom 458 2000watt inverter/charger. The RV is a 30amp input and the battery system is 12v, currently with 2 cheapie 100AH lead acid batts. I also have a 3600 watt generac generator. I'm having issues with the 458 charging consistently (it turns off the charger after a few minutes on shore power and allows batteries to drain) and I believe it needs to be replaced or repaired.

In the future I plan on moving to a solar/lithium setup. nothing too crazy, but hopefully around 600AH of Lithium and 750watts of solar (depending on what I can fit on the roof) My newbie (and possibly stupid) question is - Are there any recommendations for a modern pure sine lithium compatible inverter/charger that would be a drop in replacement for the Xantrex 458 that I currently have? I was thinking perhaps the Multiplus 12/3000 would work? My goal would be something that would work fine with my current setup, but not preclude me from adding solar/lithium when I'm ready.

Thanks for the help.
Liam

The MP is a superior product to the Xantrax 458 - a basic MSW inverter/charger. MSW is suboptimal, and they tend to be cheaper and less efficient causing some equipment to consume more power, particularly anything with a motor.

The MP 12/3000 is a great unit. It's fully configurable for whatever battery chemistry and charge parameters you like.

You will probably want to upgrade wires, fuses and batteries to properly utilize the MP 12/3000.

Just for the sake of choice Samlex has 2 units that closely straddle the MP12/3000
These are high quality inverter/chargers without getting trapped in Victron's gravity well.

The MP is a superior product to the Xantrax 458 - a basic MSW inverter/charger. MSW is suboptimal, and they tend to be cheaper and less efficient causing some equipment to consume more power, particularly anything with a motor.

The MP 12/3000 is a great unit. It's fully configurable for whatever battery chemistry and charge parameters you like.
You will probably want to upgrade wires, fuses and batteries to properly utilize the MP 12/3000.

Just for the sake of choice Samlex has 2 units that closely straddle the MP12/3000
These are high quality inverter/chargers without getting trapped in Victron's gravity well.

Yep, definitely plan on upgrading the rest of the system as time/money allows. Right now Im just looking for something to get the rig functional without kneecapping me when it comes to add batteries/solar in the future.

The Samlex units are a good chunk more expensive than the Multiplus - Is it just a matter of overall build quality?

Yep, definitely plan on upgrading the rest of the system as time/money allows. Right now Im just looking for something to get the rig functional without kneecapping me when it comes to add batteries/solar in the future.

The Samlex units are a good chunk more expensive than the Multiplus - Is it just a matter of overall build quality?
They should be around the same price.
What price have you gotten for the MP 12/3000?

For your 30A rig, the Multiplus 12/3000 would be a great replacement. For now, just drop it in and enjoy. When you upgrade things later, you will want to come back and ask about upgrading wires and such.

And yes, the blue mist will suck you in. It's a nice place to live, but it will cost you to buy in.

For your 30A rig, the Multiplus 12/3000 would be a great replacement. For now, just drop it in and enjoy. When you upgrade things later, you will want to come back and ask about upgrading wires and such.

And yes, the blue mist will suck you in. It's a nice place to live, but it will cost you to buy in.

A blue Succubus she is.

Awesome. Well I'm glad that I seem to be on the right track with the 12/3000. We have a bunch of projects for the new (to us) RV, so being able to just pop this in place will make my life easier until I'm ready to work on the other pieces of the puzzle and turn all my savings into shiny pieces of blue plastic. :)

OK, so I got my Multiplus 12/3000 and now I'm thinking about how to throw some Lithium in and maybe some solar too. I still don't know my ass from my elbow, but I know I'll smoke my alternator if I just toss the batteries in.

I saw this setup that seemed simple and idiot friendly. Would that work OK with the Multiplus in the inverter spot charging as well or do I need something else in there to keep the alternator, solar, and Multiplus chargers all playing nice together?

I'm reasonably competent with AC power (I've been in the Datacenter UPS industry for a million years), but DC systems are still a learning curve for me...

Thanks all!
Liam

Sure, but that thing is a bit of a turd when you consider what's available for Solar MMPT. It's VERY limited: 50A solar OR 50A alternator OR 25A MAX each if both are present. Must use "12V" panels and only in parallel.

As you may have suspected, I'm going to entice you with the blue seductress...

The Victron Orion line provides DC-DC charging, and you're going to want a Victron MPPT. Then a Cerbo GX for integration of all devices. Oh, and don't forget your BMV either. I do draw the line at Victron batteries. Too damn expensive.

:devilish:

OK, so talk to me like I'm 5. Which sexy blue box is the best bet for solar and alternator? The RV is a small Class C, so there just isn't room for a lot of panels. Its unlikely I'd ever get more than maybe 600 watts up there.

Back