diy solar

diy solar

Xmas lights

mvonw

Solar Addict
I’m sure this is obvious to most folks, ( at least those who still feel it’s okay to publicly discuss Christmas), but now that I have solar/batteries i pay a lot more attention to these things., I measured my old Christmas tree lights and discovered that the string was using over 175 watts for one string. A cheap string of LED light that I bought uses only 5 watts. Time to finally throw out those old incandescent lights.

Last year we used incandescent Christmas lights for the first time in a few years (got an icicle set from my in laws to put on the house instead of a single string light). Between being incandescent AND having a lot more bulbs per linear foot, the electric bill was noticeably higher than prior years (even taking the rate increase into account).

Oh well. It is only for month or so, I can live with it.

Of course, going all bah humbug is the best way to save the most $ and energy lol. No lights, no watts!

I remember fondly that the local electric utility would have Christmas Decoration contest for the most decorated homes ;) Not a bad way to up year end revenues for the balance sheet. The wires on the incandescent christmas decorations used to be very undersized and they would usually melt tracks in the snow. You dont hear about as many Christmas Tree fires since the swap to LEDs.

... and there was me thinking of a little tree on a table in the hallway ??

Incandescents look better though and they don't require rare earth minerals and a semi conductor supply chain to produce.
I want them to come up with leds that have a warm undertone to the color, even if it is a cool color. Look at an incandescent blue light vs led blue, for example.

This company works very hard at creating good LEDs but they're still only doing C9's and C7's. Blues are definitely the worst on regular retail LEDs.

This company works very hard at creating good LEDs but they're still only doing C9's and C7's. Blues are definitely the worst on regular retail LEDs.

I'm going to take a look at those. Thanks. One more thing to buy...

Only downside of LED outdoor lights is on the hedges or arbovitaes, after a good snow they won’t melt so they are hidden.

I have a 35’ roundish tree that I wrap with 4 100’ strings, snow never collects on that.

Only downside of LED outdoor lights is on the hedges or arbovitaes, after a good snow they won’t melt so they are hidden.

I have a 35’ roundish tree that I wrap with 4 100’ strings, snow never collects on that.
Ahh Yes that is a good point. I never thought about that

diy solar

diy solar
Back