diy solar

diy solar

YES: RV Solar/ Li/ and AC running full time

Very helpful. Looks similar to the numbers @Generis is getting. Gives me confidence that a 12K btu mini-split unit and 1300W of panels will easily be able to handle 100 degree F days. But I wouldn't risk a 9K btu unit.
I have 1,600 watts of panels flat on my roof and another 300 I can deploy on the ground, which is what I have set up currently. When it's hot, I can't survive a full day of heavy clouds or rain before my battery falls to 20% SOC or less. I currently have 7ish kWh of battery (560Ah) and another 560Ah that should be delivered in one or two weeks. I'm thinking this will be sufficient for a couple of rainy days in the middle of Summer, and more than enough for the rest of the year. I have a 2kW Honda generator that runs off the propane in my camper if I really need it for extended hot, cloudy days. I'm hoping to hardly ever use it.

I have 1,600 watts of panels flat on my roof and another 300 I can deploy on the ground, which is what I have set up currently. When it's hot, I can't survive a full day of heavy clouds or rain before my battery falls to 20% SOC or less. I currently have 7ish kWh of battery (560Ah) and another 560Ah that should be delivered in one or two weeks. I'm thinking this will be sufficient for a couple of rainy days in the middle of Summer, and more than enough for the rest of the year. I have a 2kW Honda generator that runs off the propane in my camper if I really need it for extended hot, cloudy days. I'm hoping to hardly ever use it.

I'd like to run on solar as much as that, as well, but I'm tight for battery space. I'm about to fit another 200Ah to bring me to 400Ah but beyond that will be tight.

I'm ok with pulling out the generator for a few days a year. Hoping it won't be more than a dozen or so.

I'm ok with pulling out the generator for a few days a year. Hoping it won't be more than a dozen or so.
There are so many variables and unknowns that it's really hard to know for sure until you try. At 400Ah you might keep your expectations reasonable and hope to make it through the night with the air conditioner running and not needing to use the generator. I would not expect to make it through a cloudy day. Hopefully it performs even better than that.

Agreed. 4.8kWh isn't much if I'm using, say, 600W/h. Will barely make it through the night.

Hmmm. I really should try to get another 200Ah in there.

aangel are you running 12 or 24 volt?
Speaking of batteries I am in the process of trying to rejuvenate some 250 AH AGM's, 4 of them, they were in a sign trailer that I just got to make a solar trailer out of. Figured it was worth a shot because they are $700 each and 1000 AH @12volt is a lot, only problem is its a little over 600Lbs.
It takes about 2 days per battery to get fully charged then as per manufacture hit them with 15.5 volts for 8 hours.

Agreed. 4.8kWh isn't much if I'm using, say, 600W/h. Will barely make it through the night.

Hmmm. I really should try to get another 200Ah in there.
Yep last hot day my solar started going in the negative by 5:00 pm by 9:00 pm it was still 91f and I was 1300 W/h in the hole

aangel are you running 12 or 24 volt?
Speaking of batteries I am in the process of trying to rejuvenate some 250 AH AGM's, 4 of them, they were in a sign trailer that I just got to make a solar trailer out of. Figured it was worth a shot because they are $700 each and 1000 AH @12volt is a lot, only problem is its a little over 600Lbs.
It takes about 2 days per battery to get fully charged then as per manufacture hit them with 15.5 volts for 8 hours.

12v.

I currently have a single 200Ah Ampere Time and was going to add another 200Ah but am now going to try to squeeze in two more of those.

Lithium battery prices have plummeted. Not sure those AGMs are such a deal anymore.

$700 x 4 = $2800 for 500Ah (1000Ah x 50% rated capacity).

For a bit less you can get 2 300Ah batteries from Ampere Time at $1229 each (Aug 2021) for a total of $2460.

Each weighs 69lb for a total of 138lb vs 600lb for the AGMs.

Like I said, LiPo batteries have really come down in price lately.

Last edited:
Doesn't Ampere Time make a 300Ah also ? you might be able to fit that in there. I am running 2 Ampere Time 24volt 100Ah in the Rv now with no plans of going more. Plan is to keep solar charger in the rv and just hook solar panel from trailer to it but if I can salvage the AGM's I might put them back in trailer wired 24 volt and gain an extra 250Ah

Doesn't Ampere Time make a 300Ah also ? you might be able to fit that in there. I am running 2 Ampere Time 24volt 100Ah in the Rv now with no plans of going more. Plan is to keep solar charger in the rv and just hook solar panel from trailer to it but if I can salvage the AGM's I might put them back in trailer wired 24 volt and gain an extra 250Ah

Yes, it makes does make a 300Ah. I thought it was important to keep the battery size the same—but I'm new to this so I could easily be wrong.

I would be very happy to run one 200Ah battery (the current one) plus two 300Ah batteries for a total of 800Ah (9600kWh). What happens if the batteries are not the same capacity?

Yes, it makes does make a 300Ah. I thought it was important to keep the battery size the same—but I'm new to this so I could easily be wrong.

I would be very happy to run one 200Ah battery (the current one) plus two 300Ah batteries for a total of 800Ah (9600kWh). What happens if the batteries are not the same capacity?
It gets complicated trying to do that.

It gets complicated trying to do that.

That's what I thought.

I could replace the current 200Ah battery with a 300Ah one and buy one or two more. I discovered after purchase that the 200Ah version does not have a low temperature cutoff so there are two reasons to upgrade.

I have seen a lot of people running different capacity cells in parallel without any real problems.

When discharging, the pack will all have the same voltage, so the larger packs could be providing more current that the smaller packs .... but the will all discharge at the same rate .... voltage wise.
They should be close to the same voltage when connected in parallel for the first time.

Maybe consult @Steve_S . His packs are stationary, but he has multiple packs connected in parallel with different capacities.

Awnings over the windows help a lot...
Very true.
I have a 12k BTU 120 volt mini-split made by LG. When I first start up the AC to cool the camper, it'll pull 600-700 watts until it backs off when the camper is cool and then runs between 150-400 watts to maintain it depending on the outside temp and time of day. My rooftop unit pulls between 1,400 and 1,600 watts when it's running. Total daily consumption without me living in the camper is 10kWh just with the mini-split and fan trying to keep the camper between 72-74 degrees. Right now the camper is sitting in my driveway while I'm monitoring consumption. Once cooled down, my 12v compressor fridge consumes about 65 watts on average all day if we're not living in the camper and about 90ish watts on average when we're camping.
Thanks for posting your results. It's a great comparison, even with the different cooling unit and different camper unit. I can testify to the 150-400 watt maintenance power consumption, yes.

In a totally different vein, I'm considering a new build, and would likely build a growatt 48v inverter, Li Battery, ~1500w solar setup to slightly improve on the current setup I'm using. I think your 1400-1600w solar input is a better number than I'm currently pushing, and I can see the benefits of a few more watts available in northern latitudes.

FALL UPDATE:

Yes, it's fall time up here in the north. And with that comes the switch from cooling to heating. I'm learning alot as we go with this thing.
As you know from the original post, I'm using 4x Valence 27 series batteries, which total 7064wh if new condition... and I'm running used batteries. But before we do the heat cycle test, lets get the battery cycle test done first so we have a solid baseline to read from:

Every season ending I run the battery bank down to the inverter voltage cut off... This is achieved by leaving the ac loads ON (this time the heat pump in heat mode) until the low voltage is achieved, at 11.4v. The invertor cuts off, and the system just sits and waits for me to do something. I do this test with all charge modes switched OFF so I can have a controlled study of the re-charge cycle.

PXL_20210925_113340182.jpg

Next task was to plug in the laptop to the battery bank and check out what's going on there. Nice that the Valence software will continuously record a CSV file of the data every minute, and therefore I can actually check everything AFTER the charge.. which is really handy.

Here's a shot of the software with the menus for logging at the bottom right, and the current state of low charge:

PXL_20210925_113630615.jpg

Next up is to plug in my AC wall charger.. which I made up from a 40v power supply. It's shown below.
This little thing is AMAZING. It's supposed to be 400 watts output at 40v DC.. which is more like 500+ watts output at 40vdc! Love this thing. Cheap, and it just plain works great.
NEWS: do NOT ever plug this into your battery. I use this as a SOLAR PANEL REPLACEMENT device... it is plugged into the back of my red selector switch and therefore it will be powering the INPUT on my solar charge controller. This method is completely SAFE as a charger because the same exact charge settings are being used, as if we were just powered by the sun. NO change in settings.
So then, with the 110v to 40vdc power supply plugged in and the power flowing, we're doing a constant fed, linear input, invariable supply 'solar' charge with measureable inputs. Perfect.

PXL_20210925_120617337.jpg

It's time to charge! Yay! And log everything. I've turned on the 'continuous sampling' button on the bottom right of the Valence software to begin the storage of data, and then reset my consumption meter to ZERO watthour reading so I can track that input exactly. ALL of the loads in the RV are turned off. Everything. And here we charge!
Fast forward 8 hours, and there's a BUNCH of charging coming up as shown by the pic below. We're up to 3.35 volts per cell on the software, and there's BALANCING!!
I've known about this for a while, but there's a LOAD of internet warriors who swear that Valence batteries do not operate at all internally without the proper external BMS attached, and this is false information. There's a balance and monitoring system inside these, and they ALL talk to eachother when plugged in battery to battery. You DO NOT need any external items to make this work.
You'll notice on the middle left side of this picture that the yellow BALANCE ACTIVE tab is now lit, and before it was NOT, (other pics) showing there's a change of state. It's also recorded on the CSV file in the data logging.

PXL_20210925_190247034.jpg

Anyway, I'm loving all this data.

So, at the end of 13 hours of charging here's my results:

Charge parameters always set to full stop at 14.00 volts total pack, after all top balancing at 14.00 volts. This is my personal preference, as the new battery recommendation is 14.6v top charge, and I'm dealing with ~240 ish cycles on the batteries, and they are 10 years old already.
So we stopped at 14.0v and that yielded me a total battery input of 5920wh input.
INFO: New batteries are rated at 7066wh for my pack new.. and I put in 5920, which is 83% of new capacity... reminder.. I did not drain all the way or charge to the full cap top of 14.6, so I'm VERY HAPPY with this result.
Using the nominal voltage of my batteries (12.8v) that's a amp hour input of 462ah. Considering the new rating of my pack (138x4) is 552ah new, I'm very happy with that input, which also maths out to 83% of new capacity.
VERY HAPPY. And I can accurately reset my consumption meter total to the charged AH rating I received on charge, and therefore better monitor my usage and remaining power. Awesome. This activity every fall season allows me to track the health of my battery pack. It's easy, and effective, and the numbers don't lie to you. Next season, I can repeat the test shown above, and see how my battery health is doing, or decaying, over time and cycle count increases.

Moving on to the next test, which is the point of this thread (haha, sorry for the back story on the charging).

I'm going to put the heat on. And I'm going to disable all other loads. And I'm going to disable all charging.
Test parameters: Raise the inside RV temperature from 52f to 70f for a total time of 12 hours.
Fresh battery top balance, controlled charge finished, then ZERO out the consumption meter watt hours.
Turn on inverter, turn on mini-split to heat cycle, auto fan, and set temperature. 8pm.
In the morning, 8am return to find out the total usage. Turns out that heat cycle overnight consumed almost exactly 3000wh to do it's job. (there was no body heat helping out during the night, the RV was empty).

And this is what I wanted to know. And this is why it's unlikely people will ever use these for fall or winter heat sources in RV setups. Reasons:
First off, when we do AC, we do it because it's hot and sunny. If it's sunny we get solar input. This can offset the consumption of the AC load, and in my case it's basically neutral losses. (so awesome).
But heating is a TOTALLY different thing. The style and softness and quiet heat of the mini split is very desirable. So nice. But it's doing most of it's work during times when it's got NO input offset. ALL heat energy is done during low or no solar input (night, evenings, etc) and therefore it's totally operating on battery.. again NO offsets for the power load.
This becomes a problem in RV solar setups like mine, because even though I can offset the AC in the sunshine, I heat only during the WORST sun conditions... low angle, and low time... which is fall and winter. And because the heat cycle almost always uses battery alone, and I have less charging from the sun angle etc, the system has to struggle to recover that lost energy from overnight.
I used 3000wh on my test overnight.
This means I have to recharge from solar at least this much again next day. That's 600w incoming for 5 hours straight just to recover the heating last night. But it's cloudy and raining. So that's basically NOTHING coming in. And I'm not going to be able to heat another night with my battery alone.
And that rests my case... and the test. As I know already, I can keep up with the AC loads, thanks to the high sun angle, heavy charging, long days, and need of use during solar production hours. The heat cycle is all that in opposite.. worst sun angle, low charge times, heavy battery loads, and opposite use-to-production time of day.

Of course, the answer is add more solar! Yes, that's the plan.

But heating is a TOTALLY different thing. The style and softness and quiet heat of the mini split is very desirable. So nice. But it's doing most of it's work during times when it's got NO input offset. ALL heat energy is done during low or no solar input (night, evenings, etc) and therefore it's totally operating on battery.. again NO offsets for the power load.
This becomes a problem in RV solar setups like mine, because even though I can offset the AC in the sunshine, I heat only during the WORST sun conditions... low angle, and low time... which is fall and winter. And because the heat cycle almost always uses battery alone, and I have less charging from the sun angle etc, the system has to struggle to recover that lost energy from overnight.
I used 3000wh on my test overnight.
This means I have to recharge from solar at least this much again next day. That's 600w incoming for 5 hours straight just to recover the heating last night. But it's cloudy and raining. So that's basically NOTHING coming in. And I'm not going to be able to heat another night with my battery alone.
And that rests my case... and the test. As I know already, I can keep up with the AC loads, thanks to the high sun angle, heavy charging, long days, and need of use during solar production hours. The heat cycle is all that in opposite.. worst sun angle, low charge times, heavy battery loads, and opposite use-to-production time of day.

Of course, the answer is add more solar! Yes, that's the plan.

Yup! This is my first heating season with the mini-split on solar in my 38' fifth wheel. Heating consumes more power (~2000 watts instead of ~1400) and energy (stays at max draw for a long time), is required for longer periods of time (night is longer than day), has a higher temperature differential to contend with, and gets a lot worse when it's cloudy rather than better (colder in clouds PLUS reduced solar production) -- worse than clouds vs. no clouds when cooling.

Most recently I have 70F highs and 38F lows ... I wake up to interior at 55F and fire up the mini split ... I'll consume 10-20% of my 27kWh battery to reach 72F inside. Thus far, with 3350 watts of solar, I'm able to recharge to 100% before sundown up here near Yellowstone. I'm about to hit some 52F high and 25F low days for a few days and I guarantee I'll be short on power. I'm only producing about 14kWh of solar now instead of my normal 22 in the summer. It'll be interesting to see how I do when I snowbird in AZ.

I suspect that if I can get myself to about 4kW of panels, I'd be OK under virtually any circumstance (except boondocking in the mountains in winter lol).

Thanks for this thorough report, @Generis .

This leads me to believe that I won't have enough battery to take advantage of my mini-split for very long overnight in heating mode. I'm currently looking at upgrading my whole system to be able to run a very efficient mini-split but I'm counting on solar power input for the cooling cycle. I'm not speccing much more battery, certainly not enough to handle a whole night of heating as you are aiming for.

In my case, though, it's less of an issue because I installed a Webasto STC2000. It gets its fuel from the main RV tank and is very efficient. It can provide up to 7,000 BTU/hr and uses as little as 1 gallon per 22 hrs. However, I suspect running it full blast will go through a gallon faster. If a gallon of gas has 116,090 BTU, the math is:

116,090 BTU / 7000 BTU/hr = 16 hr (probably less due to inefficient burning)

I like sleeping cool and so far it's kept the edge off here in Utah on some unseasonably cold nights. I'm here for two more months so I'll be able to report back if just 7000 BTU/hr is enough when it starts to get really cold. Perhaps I'll end up using the mini-split for whatever it can provide and the Webasto full blast on the really cold nights.

air-top-2000-st.jpg

Great thinking with the Webasto, yeah. I've always wondered what it would be like to get off my propane furnace (which I LOVE, so hot!) but this is a great amount of battery.
It's possible if you've been following my comments on this thread you're thinking I'm ready for a system re-do, and that's correct. Yes. I'm planning on 2 more batteries and another 40a charging, totaling 1900+w of solar and 600+ ah in storage. I think this will make short work of my overnight draw, and certainly get me more room to play with the system. With 2 more used batteries, I should be around 9000wh of storage, which would have given me 3 nights of heat draw as described above. That's my ultimate buffer, 3 days / nights to allow me to get to power for recharge or get to sun, or get to wherever I need to be if something failed on the charging side.
My redone (next spring) system will also have dual charge controllers, so I will have the current system, and add another 700w incoming and second control for that other 700w... which means I can set up a second charge circuit to a truck DC charger as well... something I don't have right now.

My system is currently a 12V one and I'm switching to 48V to use the Growatt 240V inverter and a high-efficiency 240V mini-split (the 38 SEER by Innovair, which is actually GREE). Also hoping to get one of these (but the 48V/100AH version) as it should fit perfectly in the only place I can put it:

1632783303399.png

I realize I could by my own prismatic cells and save $600 (this costs $1499; Sep 2021) but to me someone else doing all the work plus doing quality control is worth it to me.

How will you get 1900W of solar on your roof? I thought we had similar sized RVs (mine is 23ft). My diagrams get me at no more than 1400W if everything works out perfectly. Perhaps you can use more of your roof than I can.

Well, I've designed (and having manufactured) a bracket that will let me mount 5 panels, 78inches panel length x 1 across the roof, and then 5 panels front to back that will be 39 inches panel width x 5 (195 inches) and that's the EXACT space I have from the front fiberglass nose to the rear fiberglass cap. Exact.
So, 5x panels at 395w each is a theoretical 1975w... I'm getting maybe 80% at my latitude, so let's say 1580 real watts. That's a 2 hr recharge on my overnight heat cycle.. which is perfect in my eyes. I'm getting around 800+ watts in regularily in the summer now with 3 of these, so if I go up to 5 I'll have it set best it can be.. for this size motorhome. I mean it's going to be the entire roof with 2 little strips of visible roofing on the side. hahahahah
The panels will be at 3 inch rise (low) in the front slope up to a 6 inch rise for the remaining 3, 4 and 5th panels going back. They will replace my current vent covers. I will remove the vent covers, as the vent openings are all going to be under a panel, and therefore no need for a cover at all.
It's a super easy install, the new bracket design allows a solid foot print on the roof, and all the panels will be bolted together with the one beside, the mounting bracket will be in between the panels going down to the roof surface. I'm excited to show it off next spring.
I realize I have a new roof and I'm adding new holes, etc etc.. and for this reason I'm going to LEAVE on the brackets that are already installed on my current setup. I see no reason to remove the ones that are there, as they are totally sealed currently and pose no threat.
I seriously considered the redo moving to 24 or 48v.. and I really like the growatt system as well, but I just can't justify a full redo at this point considering how well everything is working at this time. If I do another unit for some reason (or house etc) I'll never do 12v again, but at this point it's bomb proof and really efficient best I can tell.

Ah, that makes sense. I've already taken off my front vent but I'm keeping the rear one because it has a MaxxAir fan in it that I want to keep. It pulls in cool air from the windows. But if you have no vents, you get the full use of the roof.

The bracket sounds great. I'm on the hunt for how I'm going to mount my panels still.

Back