diy solar

diy solar

Yikes, he's going to try to build a battery?!

ereams65

Solar Enthusiast
So, I'm not really smart, but I'm also not too dumb. I've decided I want to build a 36 volt LiPO battery for my golf cart. I'm thinking, actually, I'll build 3 12volt batteries and put them in parallel, in the event I decide to upgrade it to a 48 volt system. But that's off topic, so forgive me. Obviously, the best cells for the job are prismatics and 180 ah is ideal, but not cheap. So, before I go screwing up 1200-1500 of otherwise good product, I decided to make life even tougher on myself and I'm first building a "trial battery", using the much less expensive/much less desired, NiMH cells that come out of the Ford Fusion. I picked up a pack of 21 cells for around $13.00 a cell figuring if I mess them up I won't feel AS bad. By buying the pack I also got some busbars, nuts, balance wires that came with it. Another digression. Anyway, my question is, if I build a battery out of this, 2p10s (the cells are probably around 23 Ah now since they're used), how will I charge it, if by chance it actually works? I've ordered a Tenergy hobby/rc charger for NiMH for each cell, but what to do later? If it was LiPO, I know the 10S BMS would serve as the balance charger, correct? Can I also use the same thing for these cells? I found a EV-Peak 12S DC charger on Amazon, but then I'd also have to add an inverter. Help? And please forgive the ignorance, I'm reading threads, watching videos, and learning on the go here.

Solar would work... a couple of panels and a solar charge controller that does 36v (not all of them do 36v).
One example is a Victron SmartSolar 150/35.
When you are done w/36v you can also use that one for 12,24,36 or 48v. You can set the voltages you need to .01v.

Good Luck

So these are the cells I'm using;

Batt1.jpeg

They're from the Ford C-Max and I bought a complete cell and harvested BMS leads and busbars;
Batt2.jpeg
My first thought in arrangement leaves me needed 2 separate BMS;
Batt3.jpeg
But I'm think I could re-arrange to this (forgive the drawing, shared from a buddy) and if it works, I could use a single BMS.
Batt4.jpeg
He even asked to me to confirm his idea, so thoughts?

So, I did it. Got both of these put together for my 36 volt cart. 2nd BMS should be here tomorrow. Paralleled, the two will be 100Ah pack.
36V1.JPEG36v2.JPEG
The left has finished top balancing. The right, here's the first BMS reading;
36V3.PNG
And then, in the midst of this all, I picked up a 2nd golf cart. This one is a large "project", but I figured I would try to build the batteries for it first. I'm using used LGChem Cells from server racks. Also, 3.7v nominal.
48V1.JPEG48V2.JPEG
Once I made the busbars, after finishing the top balance, I wanted to make sure this pack would power this project cart because it's so much bigger than standard as a 6 passenger, when finished. So I tried them;
48V3.JPEG48V4.JPEG
And it worked! Who would've thought it? Since they're used, I'm expecting about 90 Ah out of these cells. I actually got the BMS's installed last night but forgot to take a pic. I did pick up an AIMS 36/48v converter charger. Love this thing, ftr. Anyway, I just wanted to update my progress and say I appreciate all of you that contribute because you've been a great help. It's amazing what you can accomplish these days on the backs of those that have gone before.

Once the remodel is done, I'm absolutely going that route, because buying a regular roof for these things is more expensive than the panels will be.

The four HQST weigh around 58lbs total, and I doubt the PVC mounting adds more than a few pounds. The existing roof structure has no issues supporting the weight, but it will wiggle sideways a bit. Downside is when driving they squeak. Loudly. Raising the panels takes a bit of grunt.

If I had to do it over I would get Windy Nation slim panels which are about half the weight. Available at Home Depot.

The 4x100W panels easily keep the FLA batteries maintained without ever needing the wall charger.

Attachments

• panel mount.jpg
    panel mount.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 7
So the roof on this 48v project cart is going to be over 8' long. Is there any need to try and fill that entire area with panels?

It all depends on your objective for the system. It you only want to eliminate using the wall charger after normal driving then 3x100W will probably do.

However if you are looking to add an inverter and power your house during grid-down (as I do) than pack it with as much solar as possible. The labor for adding more panels is minimal.

Edit: did you watch the Mars Rover videos?

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just use one big panel and mount it fixed flat. You could get a 72 cell panel that would almost take up the whole roof.

The only real reason for it would be to keep the cart charged. However, living in Florida, it's not a horrible idea to make the cart "back up Hurricane power" for sure. I watched that video, yes, among others. The bigger concern, I think, for me at least, is the cart actually won't get used that much, and I'm just getting the grasp on batteries and haven't even begun the solar panel education yet. I don't know how much they weigh or anything, quite frankly. Oh, well, lots of reading is good for me!

You are on the correct path for a great education on DIY power. At this point you have a gross overkill amount of battery for a “cart actually won't get used that much”. You could probably charge the cart a few times/year from your wall charger.

In my opinion the only relevant purpose for having that much battery is grid-down backup. I would concentrate on the batteries and house usage to select the appropriate size inverter. Then wire the inverter to back-feed your breaker panel.

Once you understand the backup power required for the home, then you can make better decisions on the solar panels. And if panels should be cart or roof mounted. Don't put the cart before the house.:)

Last edited:
I am hoping to eventually get away from the gas power generator we keep now for the "just in case". I power a small window AC, my refrigerator and the TV/Wifi with it and its rated at 4500 watts. We have gone so far to keep a smaller, secondary fridge in the garage that is much easier to power because it's closer and uses less energy. Thankfully, storms are rare occurrences, which is a good thing of course, but it requires being rather diligent about making sure that generator is serviced and always ready. It's loud, stinky and very much limited in that, due to it's size, constant refueling is required which, in my opinion, makes us the opposite of 'storm-ready'. When the lights go out, they also go out at the gas stations. As it is, there's always 12 gallons of fresh gas at my house which is both unsafe and by itself, no where near enough to fit need. So when I saw Will's video and read someone's thread about using the cart itself as "mobile solar generator" it all clicked, lol. I've quite a bit to learn on the solar end, but I'll get there.

So the 36v cart is done, and wow....I wasn't expecting the difference in weight savings and the lack of voltage drop. The acceleration from dead stop is night and day different and I gained speed going from 16mph to 19mph mainly due to weight savings I'd guess. I still need to get the installation completed and tidied up, but what a difference36.jpg
As you can see, I left 2 6v lead-acids in there to run the 12v accessories. I've ordered a converter so they'll go eventually.

Still waiting on the "Smart" versions of the BMS for the 48v. I ordered incorrectly my first attempt and have those dumb ones from Daly. I know, I know....I learned my lesson, lol.

Back