diy solar

diy solar

“Commercial Use Only” panels??

Firstascent

Solar Enthusiast
I’m looking at some LG 400W panels for my RV build, I keep seeing a note on some of their panels that say commercial use only.

does anyone know anything about this from a warranty standpoint? I know I can physically install them and they’d work great, just want to make sure I’m covered in the case something goes south down the road.

I don't know about the warranty because I bought used commercial panels. What is important is some of them are 96 cells so the voltage is higher. No problem for my string inverter but i had to buy more expensive microinverters for 4 of them that were going into another portion of the project.

I don't know about the warranty because I bought used commercial panels. What is important is some of them are 96 cells so the voltage is higher. No problem for my string inverter but i had to buy more expensive microinverters for 4 of them that were going into another portion of the project.
Thanks for your input. These ones are 72 cell and will charge up a 24v battery bank.

Check out Panasonic 48 volt HIT panels as well. I can fit (8) on my 22' RV roof w/ room to spare for (2) solar water heaters. Not as high output as the LG, but 8 x 330 w. = 2,640 and the layout leaves me enough room to install them on a captive short axis tilt-able frame. Temp. coefficient -0.258%/°C (Pmax) , module efficiency of 19.7% from 96 cell, 41.89 lb., 41.5" x 62.6" panel with a rated 90.76% output at 25 years. My cost w/ shipping to Delaware was $335 ea. for (16).

I would assume these have no UL rating and are used for industrial applications like portable traffic message boards remote monitors etc where safety or high voltge are not consided.

NEC last updated solar labeling stds. in their 2017 ed., so maybe start there. Most of the newest/current regs are written to help service techs and 1st responders ID hazards and easily find rapid disconnects, as well as helping to avoid creating an over-voltage situation while servicing, but the basic panel characteristics are no different. Just read an article on tha very thing recently but can't find it now. I'll post a link if and when I do find it again.

Back