diy solar

diy solar

100-120W - Folding Solar Panels for Portable Power Stations - Which

Azer

Hello,

Jackery, Suaoki, Rockpals, Renology, EcoFlow, etc.

the prices on these are all over the place. I just want to pick up maybe a total of 200-220w to charge a few power stations in an emergency. I’m going folding due to space constraints.

Is there a solid winner in any of these ranges? I watched a few reviews but I haven’t seen a clear choice. Jackery seems to be rated very well, Suaoki good with some quirks, I havent see much on the others.

I don’t plan to use them very frequently, but I do want to make a smart buy and I’m a bit lost.

All the OEM folding panels I've seen are expensive. Though handy.

I have a home-made suitcase of (2) 100w HQST mono panels, $10 in screws/hinges from Home Depot makes them into a nice folding kit - that while a little heavy, does make setup quick. I have a top-of-pole mount (that can go on a tripod speaker stand), and a little kick-back stand with PVC to rest on the ground.

I also have a pair of 110w Sunpower flexible panels from Aliexpress. I made a PVC suitcase frame, but wasn't happy with the hinges, so now about to rebuild that with 3/4" x 3" wood frame, which should be a little more sturdy while still remaining lightweight.

Walmart has the Lion Energy 100 watt 12 volt folding panel for $197. That is about half price of what other places are selling it.

I have four of these and in the sun measured by my multimeter I get 22.5 VDC short circuit voltage and 6.5 amps, so I like the output. They weigh 22 LBS each. Connections are by Anderson plugs, which you can easily crimp to the size you need.

My big complaint about them is they are designed to put in parallel only and will void the warranty if put in series. Also, they fold up with the cells on the outside, so you need another case or a box to carry or store them.

Done over again, I would go the same route as @mattleonard and gone with off the shelf panels, and then get some sturdy hinges and legs.

I do plan on fabbing a suitcase using the Styrofoam the panels came in, ABS plastic, some angled metal, and rivet it together for a better carrying and storing solution than cardboard. This suitcase like all my other projects, will probably cost much more than I expect.

Back