diy solar

diy solar

10kwh "portable" Victron power station

Why cheap out on OCPD? Nothing but UL listed breakers and fuses here in the US, then you know what you are getting.

The cheap fakes can't be trusted any farther than you can throw them when they are tied to a hundred pound bag of cement
What would you put there? This is my first ever attempt at building anything of the sort. I've been learning as I go. I had the standard 20 amp Southwire power strip to wire in, but I needed more than 20 amps of capacity. This was the only thing I saw that was convenient size wise with more capacity. The only other thing I saw was an RV panel/breaker box put those only come with 2 20 amp Outlets and a 30 or 50 amp outlet which I don't need. I figured the box I wired in was just as safe or safer than two Southwire power strips wired together.

What would you put there? This is my first ever attempt at building anything of the sort. I've been learning as I go. I had the standard 20 amp Southwire power strip to wire in, but I needed more than 20 amps of capacity. This was the only thing I saw that was convenient size wise with more capacity. The only other thing I saw was an RV panel/breaker box put those only come with 2 20 amp Outlets and a 30 or 50 amp outlet which I don't need. I figured the box I wired in was just as safe or safer than two Southwire power strips wired together.
Lot of people seem to have devices using the chtaixi breakers. They don't have UL but they do have CE listing. To put together something like that using midnite AC breakers would end up much larger. Basically come out of the mp2 into a midnite big baby enclosure or similar, with mneac breakers, then out to a quad box at the end of your romex.

I wonder why Victron doesn't have any 120/240 split phase inverters for the US market? Their top tier, I'd figure they'd want to compete with Schneider and Outback.

Reactions: D71
I wonder why Victron doesn't have any 120/240 split phase inverters for the US market? Their top tier, I'd figure they'd want to compete with Schneider and Outback.

Their EU business dwarfs their US business, and they have two solutions already - 2X 120V inverters configured for split phase OR an EU inverter coupled with an autotransformer for 120/240 split phase.

Given that the Quattro 48/10kVA unit has gained UL listing, they are headed our direction, but it's going to be at a slow pace.

I was actually refering to your fuses you said were from china as well as the breakers in the box are likely the cheap ones as well. You didn't really show the front of the box so we could tell what you had in there.

And I wonder about the ability to ground it? lots of power and it would be good if all your power was GFCI since you are operating in a potentally damp situation.

I also wondered about making the box metal so any short would flip the breaker, but only if it was grounded.

Both of these are UL listed and fit a box with din rail - I chose a metal Vevor box, not UL listed, but has all the characteristics of a UL box.

I am using this on a combiner box for DC, but it is also rated for AC operation.

datasheet

I also got this for SPD protection -

Last edited:
I'm not proud of it, but I got this box off of Amazon. I'm not fond of the Chinese fuses but overall it was a good solution for now. At some point I might add a second multiplus and run an RV outlet panel for 240v power. Those MNS Rosies are nice units. If I would have only known how expensive this project was going to get I might have bought one of those right off the bat.
My 2 cents. Subtract 5 cents. 😁

I think you have a great system. I’d not have any buyer remorse. Once money is spent it is spent. 😁 In most cases you would have given more money for some of the rosie then your whole victron - battery complete mobile system. Personally think victron makes great stuff. The victron shunt drifts over time for soc if not cycled often. The victron inverter derate at around ~77f degrees. Will Prowse showed that with the victron inverters but didn’t remember him stating it was factor of the ambient heat. Lot of electronics and such shift due to temp. Why ppl use to demand mil-spec. But they are still great. If you buy on eBay or amazon make sure test everything right away. As for the heat they all have operating ranges. What cracks me up some expensive units with ip ratings are suppose to be handled with kid gloves. Again Victron probably makes best of the best for the money. The Victron 3000/48 is a ul bargain. You just have to figure it out and you will for settings. I’d have no buyer regrets. You built a very capable upscale mobile unit for emergency situations. My own system is emergency due to unmaintained grid system - overloads. My electric bill is about $1400 a year with no solar as off set …so am not doing it to save money or be off grid.

I just bought a new split phase 120/240 inverter and spent almost a year’s worth of electric money just on it. However the cheap grid electricity is not any good if it is not reliable or gets taken out by storms all the time. Ppl are over loading grid with ev and more houses too. So an emergency setup is great idea unless you like messing with gas generators. The gas generator is about my last fall back. Watching the sun recharge batteries is comforting…but at same time bad weather means not much solar charge. In event of a serious hail storm or high winds might lose solar panels too. I keep extra panels stored away lighter the better.

I see nothing wrong with your outlet drop box. Lot of the common electric strips are not label with UL either nor even breakers but ppl still use them. Matter of fact I considered buying one of those boxes too. Job sites use to have them with just 4 outlets. Crazy thing construction workers ran straight out of gas generator basically no protection. Construction workers are easy to replace was old mentality. 😳 Several youtube content makers have used that same drop box on their demo build systems like you have done.. i had seen them on Aliexpress. .

What I have found with these inverter systems they all have quirks in particular the software and functions. Generally the more basic the more reliable. I considered adding a Victron Phoenix 1200/48. Still considering it. Considered 12v too - hook car battery if really bad. Ppl in middle east use to do that all the time. Raise hood hook up inverter tvs. I’d sometimes watch them and their tv. The small victron are exceptionally cheap in price….but everything for victron inverters after that jump way up in price. Strange but those small inverters are not listed as derating until get around 40c or around ~104f. Down side to bigger transformers. The Victron 10k quatro loses a stated 2000w at temps of 77f and about to the next derated temp at 3500w for 104f. My inverter if operating temp hits 122f it will shut down. So remember the heat has impact add in operating temps. When checked my current mpp solar 3048 inverter yesterday it was reporting at stated temp of 107f while charging batteries….. so the big Victron would have been derated a lot. The victron will chug up to ~149f but a 10000w will be a 4500w inverter. That is great. The garage is hot in summer my listed 107f in operation was garage around 80f air . The previous mentioned little victron is only inverter would trust in my home. Might put it on bed room ceiling and just look at it. ….be like some others in victron club in love with blue. 😁

I’d venture a good guess in summer time some ppl - equipment derates with other names too. Maybe shuts down completely and if firmware is faulty does not protect - things burn up - burn out. Heat kills electronics. Some expensive outdoor rated units … the makers do not want them in direct sun - heat. Or in some cases no rain on ip rated inverter… 😁

The Rosie is nice but expensive. Find the temperature specs on the rosie. I’d question the “made in Merica” claim too. Some lawyerS foamed at mouth over those law suits in past Made In America got the claimer - lost revenues. Ask them questions about temp. Electronics is often spec’ed higher for percentage ratings ie resistors change with heat and so do batteries. Solar panels lose power due to heat too.

I’d have no regrets with Victron and your setup. Enjoy it and keep out of sun shine. Some ppl on here have their systems in climate control. Watch as temps warm up and more ppl have problems not realizing it might be over temps. The inverter firmware-software is suppose to report it.

Your stated location of Florida makes heat a concern. Have no regrets about your blue if it functions properly for you.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. Subtract 5 cents. 😁

I think you have a great system. I’d not have any buyer remorse. Once money is spent it is spent. 😁 In most cases you would have given more money for some of the rosie then your whole victron - battery complete mobile system. Personally think victron makes great stuff. The victron shunt drifts over time for soc if not cycled often. The victron inverter derate at around ~77f degrees. Will Prowse showed that with the victron inverters but didn’t remember him stating it was factor of the ambient heat. Lot of electronics and such shift due to temp. Why ppl use to demand mil-spec. But they are still great. If you buy on eBay or amazon make sure test everything right away. As for the heat they all have operating ranges. What cracks me up some expensive units with ip ratings are suppose to be handled with kid gloves. Again Victron probably makes best of the best for the money. The Victron 3000/48 is a ul bargain. You just have to figure it out and you will for settings. I’d have no buyer regrets. You built a very capable upscale mobile unit for emergency situations. My own system is emergency due to unmaintained grid system - overloads. My electric bill is about $1400 a year with no solar as off set …so am not doing it to save money or be off grid.

I just bought a new split phase 120/240 inverter and spent almost a year’s worth of electric money just on it. However the cheap grid electricity is not any good if it is not reliable or gets taken out by storms all the time. Ppl are over loading grid with ev and more houses too. So an emergency setup is great idea unless you like messing with gas generators. The gas generator is about my last fall back. Watching the sun recharge batteries is comforting…but at same time bad weather means not much solar charge. In event of a serious hail storm or high winds might lose solar panels too. I keep extra panels stored away lighter the better.

I see nothing wrong with your outlet drop box. Lot of the common electric strips are not label with UL either nor even breakers but ppl still use them. Matter of fact I considered buying one of those boxes too. Job sites use to have them with just 4 outlets. Crazy thing construction workers ran straight out of gas generator basically no protection. Construction workers are easy to replace was old mentality. 😳 Several youtube content makers have used that same drop box on their demo build systems like you have done.. i had seen them on Aliexpress. .

What I have found with these inverter systems they all have quirks in particular the software and functions. Generally the more basic the more reliable. I considered adding a Victron Phoenix 1200/48. Still considering it. Considered 12v too - hook car battery if really bad. Ppl in middle east use to do that all the time. Raise hood hook up inverter tvs. I’d sometimes watch them and their tv. The small victron are exceptionally cheap in price….but everything for victron inverters after that jump way up in price. Strange but those small inverters are not listed as derating until get around 40c or around ~104f. Down side to bigger transformers. The Victron 10k quatro loses a stated 2000w at temps of 77f and about to the next derated temp at 3500w for 104f. My inverter if operating temp hits 122f it will shut down. So remember the heat has impact add in operating temps. When checked my current mpp solar 3048 inverter yesterday it was reporting at stated temp of 107f while charging batteries….. so the big Victron would have been derated a lot. The victron will chug up to ~149f but a 10000w will be a 4500w inverter. That is great. The garage is hot in summer my listed 107f in operation was garage around 80f air . The previous mentioned little victron is only inverter would trust in my home. Might put it on bed room ceiling and just look at it. ….be like some others in victron club in love with blue. 😁

I’d venture a good guess in summer time some ppl - equipment derates with other names too. Maybe shuts down completely and if firmware is faulty does not protect - things burn up - burn out. Heat kills electronics. Some expensive outdoor rated units … the makers do not want them in direct sun - heat. Or in some cases no rain on ip rated inverter… 😁

The Rosie is nice but expensive. Find the temperature specs on the rosie. I’d question the “made in Merica” claim too. Some lawyerS foamed at mouth over those law suits in past Made In America got the claimer - lost revenues. Ask them questions about temp. Electronics is often spec’ed higher for percentage ratings ie resistors change with heat and so do batteries. Solar panels lose power due to heat too.

I’d have no regrets with Victron and your setup. Enjoy it and keep out of sun shine. Some ppl on here have their systems in climate control. Watch as temps warm up and more ppl have problems not realizing it might be over temps. The inverter firmware-software is suppose to report it.

Your stated location of Florida makes heat a concern. Have no regrets about your blue if it functions properly for you.

I really am happy with my Victron system. And how easy it is to expand if I so choose. I had my unit sitting in the house with air conditioning, but it is handiest to use in the garage. Lately I've been running a standalone AC just to stand working out here and it takes all the power my garage can handle. So the power assist feature has been unbelievably useful. But that does mean it is in a relatively humid and hot environment. I think it's 96° right now, so not ideal for storage and use. But, it's out of the sun!

I did just pick up a couple solar panels mostly for emergency use. The purpose of this system is keeping us air conditioned and freezers running during Hurricane season. At least it was at first until I found out how nice it was to use in the garage. The main source of power for these batteries is going to be my little 4500 watt inverter generator when the power inevitably goes down here.

Here is the drop box in question. So far it has worked great and even has their version of a GFCI. I think it will work well until I upgrade to a second multiplus for 240. It was my only Amazon purchase for this build. Every other part came from Current Connected or Signature Solar to avoid the chance of getting a ripped off part.
1000007200.jpg

Do you guys have a recommendation for my 10 gauge mc4 wiring to go from the panels to the mppt? While I dislike Amazon products the wires come in a sheath and stay together which would be really nice to roll up.(this won't be permanently mounted) Signature solar sells 50ft for $64 and current connected is $114 for 50ft. But they are both individual wires. I can't quite understand why they would be double the price but I don't want to take the chance of getting me cheap product that will cause me headaches.

diy solar

diy solar
Back