diy solar

diy solar

110v input into 220v circuit breaker box?

Diemjoe

I am working the electrical wiring for my small totally off-grid cabin. I have a 125amp, 8 space, 16 circuit breaker box. I only need 6 circuits. I was wondering if it is legal to bridge the 2 input outlets so the 120 wire will power both sides. If it can be Done is there something that does the bridge or do just use another wire?

I am working the electrical wiring for my small totally off-grid cabin. I have a 125amp, 8 space, 16 circuit breaker box. I only need 6 circuits. I was wondering if it is legal to bridge the 2 input outlets so the 120 wire will power both sides. If it can be Done is there something that does the bridge or do just use another wire?

My neighbor did this for about 20 years when he had no 240V stuff and wanted to power both sides of his panel with a 120V Trace SW4024.

Whatever handles the bridge needs to be of suitable rating and be connected to a breaker to ensure the wire rating isn't exceeded.

Is it legal? Dunno. Don't care if inspections aren't required. 😁

@timselectric will know.

Legal? I can't say for sure but I've done it many times.
You've got a few ways to do it.
-Install a jumper wire from underneath one of the incoming lugs to other. There will be two wires under one terminal. Actually I can say that's probably not "legal" because those terminals probably aren't rated for two wires.
-Install a two pole breaker with a wire going from one pole to the other. It will look goofy and confuse someone else for a second should anyone else ever needs to work on it but it will work.

If you only need 6 circuits and you have 8 (16 assumes tandems I bet) then you don't really need to do anything other than skip a breaker slot for each new circuit. Don't break all of the breaker KO's out or you'll have open holes that will need covered with snap in blanks.

My neighbor did this for about 20 years when he had no 240V stuff and wanted to power both sides of his panel with a 120V Trace SW4024.

Whatever handles the bridge needs to be of suitable rating and be connected to a breaker to ensure the wire rating isn't exceeded.

Is it legal? Dunno. Don't care if inspections aren't required. 😁

@timselectric will know.
Thanks. I have pretty tight inspections here.

Legal? I can't say for sure but I've done it many times.
You've got a few ways to do it.
-Install a jumper wire from underneath one of the incoming lugs to other. There will be two wires under one terminal. Actually I can say that's probably not "legal" because those terminals probably aren't rated for two wires.
-Install a two pole breaker with a wire going from one pole to the other. It will look goofy and confuse someone else for a second should anyone else ever needs to work on it but it will work.

If you only need 6 circuits and you have 8 (16 assumes tandems I bet) then you don't really need to do anything other than skip a breaker slot for each new circuit. Don't break all of the breaker KO's out or you'll have open holes that will need covered with snap in blanks.
I will look into wiring a breaker for the other side. I like safe. Thanks

This is how my generator interlocks work. 120V from the generator(s) feeds to BOTH sides of a dual breaker with a jumper between them. When that breaker is on (and the main breaker is off, see https://interlockkit.com/ ) all 120V appliances will see 120V between Hot and Neutral, and all 240V appliances see ZERO volts, which is an advantage, as it means no-one can trip the generators by running one of the heavy appliances.

IMG_5695.jpeg

FWIW Victron per their M.O. wrt NEC just sends it and sells the MultiPlus 2x120 that blithely ignores the no 240v part.

I think the manual still says not to load in a MWBC because of course

From what I'm finding, here's the trick to make it "Code Compliant" since you can't run 2 wires to the same lug:

Option 1: Dual Circuit 240v Breaker: These breakers are designed to take 2 wires under a clamping plate to feed 2 circuits, so you can bring the Hot under 1 side and run a jumper between the two halves to bring power over to the other bus. Muse have the 2-wire clamping plate and NOT the single screw round terminal.

Option-2: Wire nut: You can't put two wires into the same lug, but you CAN take a wire from each lug and the Hot incoming and use a properly rated wire nut to connect the three wires inside the box.

Either way the box needs to be labeled "120v Only" both inside and out.

Back