diy solar

diy solar

1200 Amp bus bars?

Sig Solar strikes again.
Is this good or bad? :confused:

I know there are an infinite number of options for solar but I chose this system. I will need to live with it. Hopefully, it will serve my needs in Costa Rica. I will be assembling it myself, so you may get tired of my posts. :)

One of the reasons I purchased it this way is the duty in Costa Rica. Separate components (batteries) have 46% duty. If they are part of a kit, the duty is 13%. Huge difference when buying 2 racks.

Is this good or bad? :confused:

I know there are an infinite number of options for solar but I chose this system. I will need to live with it. Hopefully, it will serve my needs in Costa Rica. I will be assembling it myself, so you may get tired of my posts. :)

One of the reasons I purchased it this way is the duty in Costa Rica. Separate components (batteries) have 46% duty. If they are part of a kit, the duty is 13%. Huge difference when buying 2 racks.
Sig Solar sales and support drop the ball more often than a blind basketball team.
Hopefully that is just growing pains.

The kit comes with a PDP(power distribution panel).
I would like to see what is in the PDP before we start to make balance of system purchases.
Also as has been already said you don't need 1200 amps.
800 fault amps(640 service amps) would be fine.

Last edited:
You will be ok in the end we are haggling over semantics. I would have made the same decision. 50 ways to skin that cat

Sig Solar sales and support drop the ball more often than a blind basketball team.
Hopefully that is just growing pains.

The kit comes with a PDP(power distribution panel).
I would like to see what is in the PDP before we start make balance of system purchases.
Also as has been already said you don't need 1200 amps.
800 fault amps(640 service amps) would be fine.
Thank you. It will be the better part of a month before it arrives, and I will have a few months to install it before my new house is finished.
I'm going to design and build my own rack for the panels.

Labour is cheap here and shipping/importing from the US is expensive.

Tell about your biggest loads and how often and long you expect to be on at the same time.

I suspect you don't need buss bars as long as you size the wire and breakers properly. Typically you'd wire each battery rack to a breaker in the Schneider PDP. (we are about to see Cunningham's law in action ;))

My guess is that 600 amp number comes from a salesperson not fully understanding the kit they sold you.

What is the freight bill on all of that to Costa Rica? That some heavy stuff your buying.

Thank you. It will be the better part of a month before it arrives, and I will have a few months to install it before my new house is finished.
Please request high contrast high resolution pictures of the contents of the PDP.
When you get them please post them here.
It may already contain the dc busbars.
Hopefully something like this https://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=592
or this https://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=725

@BenFromSignatureSolar

Looks like we have similar systems!
Wiring the PDU was fun!
View attachment 121407

I'm looking forward to the assembly, but unfortunately, I am building a house, workshop, and garage at the same time, so I have not had nearly enough time to invest in the solar system. But the buildings are all split into PV and Grid panels. Most heavy energy consumption will be propane, but the panels are linked, so it is possible to change power sources.

The entire house will be controlled through Home Assistant, so I'm trying to figure out that at the same time. There will be over 50 motion sensors in the buildings to control everything.

I'm hoping I can integrate the Schneider system with Home Assistant. My first impression from the HA website is that it will work.

I'm looking forward to the assembly, but unfortunately, I am building a house, workshop, and garage at the same time, so I have not had nearly enough time to invest in the solar system. But the buildings are all split into PV and Grid panels. Most heavy energy consumption will be propane, but the panels are linked, so it is possible to change power sources.

The entire house will be controlled through Home Assistant, so I'm trying to figure out that at the same time. There will be over 50 motion sensors in the buildings to control everything.

I'm hoping I can integrate the Schneider system with Home Assistant. My first impression from the HA website is that it will work.
Take a look at Solar Assistant if it works with your inverter it will make it easier to integrate HA

Back