diy solar

diy solar

120v AC Wire Size Calculation - Inverter to Breaker Panel

Johannlog

The sun shines even on cold days
I am planning to run a cable from my 4,000w (Peak 6k) 24v Giandel Inverter to my 200A Breaker Panel (Off Grid) (I am wiring it in as 120v AC).
Doing some research on size of wire needed for this and not getting 2 numbers the same (I guess differences in permitted voltage drop etc)

What do you recommend for this cable - (it will be about 50' long)?
Will I need to add a 200A fuse just after the inverter, or does the inverter have it's own? I will be running it into the 200A fuse in my breaker panel.

4000W/120VAC = 33A

IIRC 10awg is limited to 30A.

I'd go 8awg.

50' run would have a 1.73% voltage drop.

Fuse/Breaker between inverter and panel needs to protect the wire. 33A * 1.25 = 41.25A.

The inverter will self-limit any continuous current, but the fuse/breaker needs to be there to protect the wire in the event of a short.

Reactions: 9th
4000W/120VAC = 33A

IIRC 10awg is limited to 30A.

I'd go 8awg.

50' run would have a 1.73% voltage drop.

Fuse/Breaker between inverter and panel needs to protect the wire. 33A * 1.25 = 41.25A.

The inverter will self-limit any continuous current, but the fuse/breaker needs to be there to protect the wire in the event of a short.
Thank you! I was incorrectly calculating the Amps which was leading to my confusion. I have a 30A transfer switch I was planning to use to switch between Inverter and Generator power, I guess it is a bit undersized, but I don't expect to reach the full 4,000w draw.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was incorrectly calculating the Amps which was leading to my confusion. I have a 30A transfer switch I was planning to use to switch between Inverter and Generator power, I guess it is a bit undersized, but I don't expect to reach the full 4,000w draw.
Yeah, it turns out the switch for this does fit 8AWG wire, so I'm looking for another switch option.

Back