diy solar

diy solar

12v 220 inverter

Assuming you mean 5000W AC output then 5000W on 12V is crazy. That would be up to 500A being pulled from the batteries. You need ridiculous wire and massive fuses/breakers. You should be on 48V. Then it's only 125A. If you have lots of 12V batteries then put them in 4S for a 48V system.

They are truck batteries. I figured I could just jump both my trucks together if needed, otherwise run a bank of 5 or 6 if I didn't need the that much. I seen a video of a guy that was pulling 10amps for his pump @ 2400watts

They are truck batteries. I figured I could just jump both my trucks together if needed, otherwise run a bank of 5 or 6 if I didn't need the that much. I seen a video of a guy that was pulling 10amps for his pump @ 2400watts
These are truck starter batteries? Even if very large, they might not be a good choice. Starter batteries typically have many very thin lead plates, which are designed to liberate massive amounts of current in a few seconds, then must be immediately recharged. I bet the guy's video you reference was not running very long?

Off-grid batteries typically have few, far thicker plates, which can better stand the repeated discharging and slow recharging that is typical of solar installations.

As rmaddy more fully explains above, it would be really irresponsible to make an inverter of that size in just 12V. A frightening amount of amps.

One other comment. Lead-acid thrive on ample charging, usually 1/8th of C is optimal. If they are starter batteries, do they have an Amphour rating? Big batteries are best when scaled to big solar!

There isnt too much information on the battery..pretty sure they are 900 cold cranking amps..im sure they are starter batteries..my other truck runs an inverter and refrigerator pretty much all the time except when parked and it goes through batteries all the time

2400 watts divided by 10 amps equals 240 volts. I know of no truck batteries at this voltage.
Maybe you should watch that video again and pay closer attention to what he is actually doing.

2400 watts divided by 10 amps equals 240 volts. I know of no truck batteries at this voltage.
Maybe you should watch that video again and pay closer attention to what he is actually doing.
I'm going to get a hand pump for emergency well water...im already hooked up to the grid

Back