diy solar

diy solar

12v or 24v ?

800w or 800whr?

You seem to keep messing up units.

As for that particular unit they have smaller rated one that’s cheaper, who know you may add another lamp or add something else.

If the unit is on 24/7 the low idle consumption is pretty key.

Also there’s no need to run the panels in parallel (unless you have shading issues or want to point one east and one west) you’d be able to run them in series and save on conductor size for less losses.

As you said each person can set up their system the way they want, I just gave you my opinion on how I’d set mine up.

Last edited:
Never the less does the v (x) watt apply or doesn't it with any amp? If so 12v is deemed to low for the 4,000 watt continuous, 5,000 for up 5 minutes and a 10,000 peak so I can't understand why it exists if it doesn't comply with 12v x 250A rule.
It exists because of you. 4000w for $140 on ebay.

800w or 800whr?

You seem to keep messing up units.

As for that particular unit they have smaller rated one that’s cheaper, who know you may add another lamp or add something else.

If the unit is on 24/7 the low idle consumption is pretty key.

Also there’s no need to run the panels in parallel (unless you have shading issues or want to point one east and one west) you’d be able to run them in series and save on conductor size for less losses.

As you said each person can set up their system the way they want, I just gave you my opinion on how I’d set mine up.

If I have a 200 w draw for 1 hour is that not 200 watts used? If I do have that draw for 4 hours is that not 800 watts used? As far as the 4,000 watts go I was asking someone very clearly how does the v * 250a rule apply with inverters. I have a 4,000 watt and its 12v but I never said it was powering the 200 watt load. That was your oversight in reading comprehension. It was a secondary question. You missed that part. 800 watts used is 800 watts used.
There will be nothing added or I would have factored that in. Its a tiny house with limited space for one and if my wife and I haven't added or changed anything about this load in the last 10 years I don't in the foreseeable future see that changing. If by some rare chance it does I will be out a whooping $100 and have to buy a larger inverter. Pretty sure I can handle that loss lol
As far as parallel that's all good and fine if your controller can handle the string voltage. The one I have does not so parallel is a must if I use the controller I already have. Also on panel fails they all stop in series is another reason. At 30 amps or less to me parallel makes more since. I do understand wire size goes up but if someone one can't afford 10 awg wire then solar probably isn't for them if you ask me.

Last edited:
no, it is 200 watt hours used. Because when you are talking about the amount of energy used over a period of time, the unit is watt hours

no, it is 800 watt hours used.

you're still getting watts and watt hours confused. I'd google https://www.google.com/search?q=watts+vs+watt+hours

If I have a 200 watt draw over a period of one how how man watts did I use? 200w x 1hr = 200 watts used is that not correct?

If that is correct then how many watts did I use at
200w x 4hrs = 800wh ?
Seems to me it would be 800 watts consumed.

See attached photo. 800wh = 800 watts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218-172153-571.png
    Screenshot_20231218-172153-571.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If I have a 200 watt draw over a period of one how how man watts did I use? 200w x 1hr = 200 watts used is that not correct?

If that is correct then how many watts did I use at
200w x 4hrs = 800wh ?
Seems to me it would be 800 watts consumed.

See attached photo. 800wh = 800 watts
No, a watt is a rate, it tells you how much power is being delivered at any point in time. One watt corresponds to one Joule per second. Saying you used a watt would be like saying you used a mile per hour.

A watt hour is an expression of how much energy is stored or used. A 10 watt hour capacity battery can deliver 10 watts for one hour, or ten joules every second for one hour.

It’s just like driving 60 miles is not the same a driving 60mph.

For a technical thing as PV and electricity, units and terminology is such a huge factor when talking about your system and questions. By adding ambiguity to posts and using the wrong units it just makes it harder for those to help out.

This is just my 2cents, take it for what you want, you def seem like you know your stuff I think it’d be cool to see how your entire system is set
Up and works as I’m a huge fan of redundancy. Just so much gets “lost in translation” when posting in the internet.

No, a watt is a rate, it tells you how much power is being delivered at any point in time. One watt corresponds to one Joule per second. Saying you used a watt would be like saying you used a mile per hour.

A watt hour is an expression of how much energy is stored or used. A 10 watt hour capacity battery can deliver 10 watts for one hour, or ten joules every second for one hour.

200w load x 4 hours = 800wh so how many total watts were consumed?

It’s just like driving 60 miles is not the same a driving 60mph.

For a technical thing as PV and electricity, units and terminology is such a huge factor when talking about your system and questions. By adding ambiguity to posts and using the wrong units it just makes it harder for those to help out.

This is just my 2cents, take it for what you want, you def seem like you know your stuff I think it’d be cool to see how your entire system is set
Up and works as I’m a huge fan of redundancy. Just so much gets “lost in translation” when posting in the internet.

My point is 800w used is 800 watts used. I understand that can be 100w x 8hrs = 800wh
Or that can be 200w x4 hrs = 800wh
At the end of both equations it equals 800wh watts used and that translates to 800w. Everyone keeps say I am confused which I am not at all. If the above isn't true please explain how 800w and 800wh in this case are not the same. I understand the terms and how they are used as well as determined. I am simply stating that at the end of the day I have used 800w. Why that isn't being understood I have no idea.

200w load x 4 hours = 800wh so how many total watts were consumed?
None or maybe an infinite amount, watts are a measurement of how much power is being used at any one point in time. Consuming watts doesn't compute.

You could Google this and watch some videos or read some short explanations. Or not but you should except that nearly every other person with a basic understanding of electricity will use the term watt hours, when talking about how much energy they stored or used.

My point is 800w used is 800 watts used. I understand that can be 100w x 8hrs = 800wh
Or that can be 200w x4 hrs = 800wh
At the end of both equations it equals 800wh watts used and that translates to 800w. Everyone keeps say I am confused which I am not at all. If the above isn't true please explain how 800w and 800wh in this case are not the same. I understand the terms and how they are used as well as determined. I am simply stating that at the end of the day I have used 800w. Why that isn't being understood I have no idea.
So why can’t you just say 800whrs? You seem to be very adamant on using wrong units.

Cause when I get pulled over and the cop asked me how fast i’m going I don’t say 10 miles, you know my normal commute to work. He cares that I was doing 80mph in a school zone cause I was late ?

Back to your original question

What’s you decide 24v or 12v?

Back to the op point - the reason 24v is mentioned is that the amp requirement will be reduced. A 600w inverter will be supplying a huge amp draw at 12v, thats the reasoning behind the limitations. Wire gauge size to the inverter will be 4/0 at 12v, but only 2/0 needed for 24v as the amperage draw is reduced by a factor of 2. This is cheaper wiring and less amps in the wire. At 600w you would be pulling 50amps, so maybe not a huge deal, but at 24v you would only be pulling 25. At 600w not really much of an issue, at 4000w it is.

None or maybe an infinite amount, watts are a measurement of how much power is being used at any one point in time. Consuming watts doesn't compute.

You could Google this and watch some videos or read some short explanations. Or not but you should except that nearly every other person with a basic understanding of electricity will use the term watt hours, when talking about how much energy they stored or used.

I already have a full understanding of watt and watt hours. Maybe those can accept that that 800wh = 800 watts in my context that I used it in. It was real simple just to accept that it was infact still correct no matter what. I mean when someone keeps telling me I am confused when I was in fact correct because they are so stuck on the aspect of watt vs watt hours I can't help that I laid it out in simple. 800w ?
Further more I didn't ask anyone to calculate my wh for me as I had already accomplished that myself. Easy as falling off a log.
Basic understanding? How much more basic it the fact its 800w? Lord. I have done residential a/c and light commercial for a living. I halso have extensive dc automotive experience so I have more than a basic understanding just some like to complicate the simple.
I wasn't asking for a class on watts and watt hours. I simply stating i would use 800w total. None of that had anything to do with my original question.

Last edited:
So you just chose not to use the correct units even though you know better.?

So why can’t you just say 800whrs? You seem to be very adamant on using wrong units.

Cause when I get pulled over and the cop asked me how fast i’m going I don’t say 10 miles, you know my normal commute to work. He cares that I was doing 80mph in a school zone cause I was late ?

Back to your original question

What’s you decide 24v or 12v?

Pretty sure that was self explained to start with. People tend to jockey to be the smartest person in the room they can't see the simple right in front of there face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231220-082658-511.png
    Screenshot_20231220-082658-511.png
    243.6 KB · Views: 7
Back to the op point - the reason 24v is mentioned is that the amp requirement will be reduced. A 600w inverter will be supplying a huge amp draw at 12v, thats the reasoning behind the limitations. Wire gauge size to the inverter will be 4/0 at 12v, but only 2/0 needed for 24v as the amperage draw is reduced by a factor of 2. This is cheaper wiring and less amps in the wire. At 600w you would be pulling 50amps, so maybe not a huge deal, but at 24v you would only be pulling 25. At 600w not really much of an issue, at 4000w it is.

I get that but the actual load will never be over 210 watts if ever that high. So shouldn't that be about 18 amps? Also the inverter will be 16 inches max from the inverter so cable cost isn't really a problem. I won't need much.

Back