diy solar

diy solar

12v or 24v ?

What part of this didn't anyone understand?
Everyone understood that what you meant was you would use 800 watt hours a day.

Then we tried to make sure you understood that watt and watt hour describe different things, because most people would only continue to use the incorrect term if they didn't understand the difference.

I get that but the actual load will never be over 210 watts if ever that high. So shouldn't that be about 18 amps? Also the inverter will be 16 inches max from the inverter so cable cost isn't really a problem. I won't need much.
You should size wire for the maximum current the inverter can draw. I'm not sure where they are getting 4/0 wire from, that's huge for 50A . Most wire size calculators would say 6 or 8 awg for a short run.

if the surge is 1200w

Then that means it can draw a little over 100A on a 12v setup so wire should be sized and fused accordingly. Even if it will never be pushed to that limit.

I personally would go for 12v in your position. Some inverters might handle a small portion of your needs in sleep mode to help keep usage down ?

You should size wire for the maximum current the inverter can draw. I'm not sure where they are getting 4/0 wire from, that's huge for 50A . Most wire size calculators would say 6 or 8 awg for a short run.

Yeah I have a 12v 1500 continuous watt I take camping and use 4 awg and never have a problem running a 1200 watt coffee maker.

Everyone understood that what you meant was you would use 800 watt hours a day.

Then we tried to make sure you understood that watt and watt hour describe different things, because most people would only continue to use the incorrect term if they didn't understand the difference.

I can appreciate that but but I kept asking in my illustration wasn't it 800w use and they didn't seem to want to answer that. I very clearly stated the load 210 max and total watts I would use so it should have been understood I would think. Its basic algebra. 800w = (12 * 210w * 4 = 800wh)
In my statement and scenario 800w / 800wh is the same thing. It kept being said I was confused but rather they were confused. I don't know about anyone else but if I am confused I will say so but when I am not I will not say I am. ?

Back